The QB Thread: Everything Carr, Mariota and beyond

9 minutes ago, BackinBlack said:

No theyll always be an issue for him IMO. 
I think at times he tries to do to much, and he needs to just tuck it and run and that may help if he is expecting impact. 
-
I think with his bad fumble issues he is still debatable top 10 though. 

I say he’s a solid 13 through 15th

top 10 without the fumbles maybe arguably 8 or 9th best qb in the league 

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

He has averaged 9 fumbles and 10 Ints his career.  I would find it hard to believe that his coaches have not noticed this and tried to work on it.  If not they need to wake up and stop babying him.

This 🎯🎯🎯🎯 my biggest issue cause carr is smart and comes from a football family why haven’t he worked on this if the team isn’t. I mean even in hs we have the brooms out swiping at qb in practice during drop backs. Even gruden a qb friendly coach should be doing that. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

I say he’s a solid 13 through 15th

top 10 without the fumbles maybe arguably 8 or 9th best qb in the league 

Most of his fumbles and ints came when we were trailing by 2 scores and he starts trying to do too much. 
So I think with a better team around him, we wont be in those scenarios as much. 

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, BackinBlack said:

Most of his fumbles and ints came when we were trailing by 2 scores and he starts trying to do too much. 
So I think with a better team around him, we wont be in those scenarios as much. 

2016 was his lowest season total with only 5.  He also had 4 pro bowlers on the line.

Edited by drfrey13
2 minutes ago, BackinBlack said:

I honestly think his fear of fumbling is why he doesn’t run as much and improvise cause he’s mobile 

• Like 2
Just now, drfrey13 said:

2016 was his lowest season total with only 5.

Yeah would love to see him get back to that! I do think injuries are in his head a bit, maybe getting through another season without a major one will help. but it would be jsut that, a hope. 
Obviously doesnt solve the Carr fumble issue, but I swear our Oline is terrible at jumping on a loose ball too. 

Not using that to defend Carr at all, 100% he fumbles way to much, but, Id hope wed also be doing some fire drills were the Oline looks and jumps a ball

• Like 1
1 minute ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

I honestly think his fear of fumbling is why he doesn’t run as much and improvise cause he’s mobile 

Yeah for sure, and then whenever you stress about something it just happens more and more. 
Similar to how a WR stressing about drops, is going to start dropping more balls. 

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

That is a prolem I have been trying to figure out for a few years.  He should gain 300-500 yards per year.  That is only 20-30 per game and the lanes are there for him to take off.  The only team he seems to like to run against is the Saints.  Do teams typically play man or zone against us.  Maybe that has something to do with it?

Edited by drfrey13
  • Like 1
2 minutes ago, BackinBlack said:

Yeah would love to see him get back to that! I do think injuries are in his head a bit, maybe getting through another season without a major one will help. but it would be jsut that, a hope. 
Obviously doesnt solve the Carr fumble issue, but I swear our Oline is terrible at jumping on a loose ball too. 

Not using that to defend Carr at all, 100% he fumbles way to much, but, Id hope wed also be doing some fire drills were the Oline looks and jumps a ball

The recovery rate on both sides of the ball point to bad coaching.  I have been saying it for a while that Carr's issues are between his ears.  Back to bringing in a player like Fitz.  He plays the way I think Gruden would want his QB to.  He is tough, runs when it is necessary, and can create.  There is a reason why his teammates love him and it is not 100% the beard.  He is a leader on and off the field without a chip on his shoulder.  Players respond to guys like that.  His only problem is that he is a lap dog that thinks he is a mastiff.  I have never seen a QB throw so many balls with such confidence when they should know they have no were near the arm strength to complete it.  It is like having Favre's mind in Chad Pennington's body.  Marriota is to quite to rally the team so I do not see him having the same affect even though he plays the opposite of Carr.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

The recovery rate on both sides of the ball point to bad coaching.  I have been saying it for a while that Carr's issues are between his ears.  Back to bringing in a player like Fitz.  He plays the way I think Gruden would want his QB to.  He is tough, runs when it is necessary, and can create.  There is a reason why his teammates love him and it is not 100% the beard.  He is a leader on and off the field without a chip on his shoulder.  Players respond to guys like that.  His only problem is that he is a lap dog that thinks he is a mastiff.  I have never seen a QB throw so many balls with such confidence when they should know they have no were near the arm strength to complete it.  It is like having Favre's mind in Chad Pennington's body.  Marriota is to quite to rally the team so I do not see him having the same affect even though he plays the opposite of Carr.

100% Fitzpatrick plays with an awesome style. He is amazing first 5 weeks of season it always seems. 
in 7 starts (9 games played) 8 ints and 1 lost fumble. 
Carr in 15 games - 9ints and 8fumble lost
-
They both have habits of giving the ball away. Carr just does way more often on the ground. 

I do love watching Fitz play, and if we had made a move from Carr 3 years ago I couldve understood it. Gruden wants his own guy, and I agree they make a good match. 
To make the move now, doesnt make sense to me. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, BackinBlack said:

100% Fitzpatrick plays with an awesome style. He is amazing first 5 weeks of season it always seems. 
in 7 starts (9 games played) 8 ints and 1 lost fumble. 
Carr in 15 games - 9ints and 8fumble lost
-
They both have habits of giving the ball away. Carr just does way more often on the ground. 

I do love watching Fitz play, and if we had made a move from Carr 3 years ago I couldve understood it. Gruden wants his own guy, and I agree they make a good match. 
To make the move now, doesnt make sense to me. 

I agree.  I also think Fitz's Ints drop in the west coast offense and we would run more up-tempo with him.  Not that he is a better QB but is a better fit.  He is ready to retire but is a fun QB to watch.  If nothing else we would be entertained with him on the team.

• Like 1
18 hours ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Well before that game jj was slumping I actually agree with him. I remember watching the game the chargers defense legit looked shook cause mm improvising was keeping the sticks moving. 

“Mariota, using myriad run-pass option plays, rushed for a game-high 88 yards on nine carries. Eight of those attempts resulted in a first down. The only NFL quarterbacks to have more first-down runs in a game since 1992 are Lamar Jackson with 10 such runs last season against the San Francisco 49ers and Michael Vick with nine against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in 2006. Mariota also had a tough 2-yard TD run. “

that’s major for a running game. carr isn’t a threat to run or improvise. Definitely mm took some heat off of jj

Meh, don’t you think it helped that they didn’t game plan for Mariota? 

12 minutes ago, Geezy said:

Obviously that definitely played a huge factor but having a qb of there own that’s very similar to mm helped them adjust quicker imo. That’s why I would have loved to see mm vs Mia. 

1 hour ago, Geezy said:

I think it played a factor but is also another reason why we should have used him the rest of the way.