The QB Thread: Everything Carr, Stidham and beyond...

RaidersAreOne

2 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Did you guys see that Bleacher Report put us 22nd in the league in offensive skill position rankings?

I just don't get it. We are loaded at every position but WR and even there we have a good mix of vets and young guns.

You’re very optimistic imo

qbs- b-

rbs- b-

wrs- c

te- a-

4 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Did you guys see that Bleacher Report put us 22nd in the league in offensive skill position rankings?

I just don't get it. We are loaded at every position but WR and even there we have a good mix of vets and young guns.

Only thing that explains it to me is our WRs  

QB- B or B+. We could do alot worse and we have (ostensibly) one of the best backups in the league. 

RB- B+ or A-. We've got a good 1-2 combo. 

TE- A or A+. Waller is top 5 at least, arguably top 3. Moreau could probably be a mid range starter on some teams, and he could very well be a top 15-20 TE himself if used enough. 

WR- I could see us pulling a flat out F or D, depending on the metrics. Ruggs and Edwards have proven zilch. Renfrow is what he is. Brown is a reclamation project coming off of an injury and down seasons. Jones and Snead are back end of roster bubble guys. There's room for vast improvement here from these guys, but I could understand someone saying "Show me something, ANYTHING even, before I give credit."  

I still don't think it warrants below a top 16 grade. QB and RB groups are borderline top 10, possibly a tad higher. TE is at least top 5 as a unit.  Even if they wanted to give us 32 for WRs, I find it hard to believe. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Yeah that looks pretty good to me. RB is an A. How many teams have 2 1000 yard rushers? Jacobs drake is easily a top 5 combo and Richard is a fine scat back.

Drake was so valuable they let him go and replaced him with a mid round rb they drafted. I think we might overvalue our guys too much. 

47 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

Only thing that explains it to me is our WRs  

QB- B or B+. We could do alot worse and we have (ostensibly) one of the best backups in the league. 

RB- B+ or A-. We've got a good 1-2 combo. 

TE- A or A+. Waller is top 5 at least, arguably top 3. Moreau could probably be a mid range starter on some teams, and he could very well be a top 15-20 TE himself if used enough. 

WR- I could see us pulling a flat out F or D, depending on the metrics. Ruggs and Edwards have proven zilch. Renfrow is what he is. Brown is a reclamation project coming off of an injury and down seasons. Jones and Snead are back end of roster bubble guys. There's room for vast improvement here from these guys, but I could understand someone saying "Show me something, ANYTHING even, before I give credit."  

I still don't think it warrants below a top 16 grade. QB and RB groups are borderline top 10, possibly a tad higher. TE is at least top 5 as a unit.  Even if they wanted to give us 32 for WRs, I find it hard to believe. 

Right now I would say Carr by himself is a B but with MM as a backup i would say B+.  

Jacobs I believe is over valued but think we have a good group that is over paid or over-drafted.  Based just off play I would give it a B.

WRs I do not even need to talk about.  Until someone shows me something besides Renfrow I would say D or F.  

TEs is an easy A.  You can not even argue about Waller being in the top 5 and you could argue top 2.  Moreau who is our best all around TE might end up being the best TE #2 in the league next year and Carrier would be a decent #2 receiving TE.  Easy A.

54 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Drake was so valuable they let him go and replaced him with a mid round rb they drafted. I think we might overvalue our guys too much. 

I mean resource allocation is one thing, but he's definitely one of the best backups in the league. We let Agholor go for nothing. You don't see me saying he was a scrub.

13 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

I mean resource allocation is one thing, but he's definitely one of the best backups in the league. We let Agholor go for nothing. You don't see me saying he was a scrub.

Drake isn’t a scrub but I think he benefited from having a running qb and I think his replacement will produce better. Fwiw I think drake and josh were some of the poorest rbs to come out of Alabama the last 5-6 years feel the same about hr3. I hate how we draft especially in the first round

Edited by NCOUGHMAN

16 hours ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

You’re very optimistic imo

qbs- b-

rbs- b-

wrs- c

te- a-

In your opinion what lead us to having a top 10 scoring O?
Those rankings dont look like a top 10 scoring unit to me
Qbs id give B+ (Carr is above average in my opinion, so a B and then Mariota makes it a + as 1 of best backup in nfl
Rbs - B (Josh is great at times, booker was solid spell back and richard had his moments, Ingold is solid as well
WRs - C+ (nothing great individually, but we have/ had a nice unit that worked well together)
TE - A
Oline - B (run blocking was meh, and pass blocking is a bit overrated from our scheme and carr getting ball out fast)

30 minutes ago, BackinBlack said:

In your opinion what lead us to having a top 10 scoring O?
Those rankings dont look like a top 10 scoring unit to me
Qbs id give B+ (Carr is above average in my opinion, so a B and then Mariota makes it a + as 1 of best backup in nfl
Rbs - B (Josh is great at times, booker was solid spell back and richard had his moments, Ingold is solid as well
WRs - C+ (nothing great individually, but we have/ had a nice unit that worked well together)
TE - A
Oline - B (run blocking was meh, and pass blocking is a bit overrated from our scheme and carr getting ball out fast)

Honestly carr finding his deep ball esp with nelly plus waller imo is mainly responsible for our top 10 offense.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Honestly carr finding his deep ball esp with nelly plus waller imo is mainly responsible for our top 10 offense.

Hopefully, Ruggs can have somewhat similar impact as Nelly, then Drake and John Brown improve us. 
Waller really is such a beast, opens so much up for us. Send Ruggs deep sideline route, and Waller should be able to crush the underneath on that side. 

Losing Rodney will hurt us though, even though I wasnt overly impressed with the Oline as a whole, Hudson was an incredible player for us. If Carr starts getting a lot of pressure up the middle, we could be in trouble.

24 minutes ago, BackinBlack said:

Hopefully, Ruggs can have somewhat similar impact as Nelly, then Drake and John Brown improve us. 
Waller really is such a beast, opens so much up for us. Send Ruggs deep sideline route, and Waller should be able to crush the underneath on that side. 

Losing Rodney will hurt us though, even though I wasnt overly impressed with the Oline as a whole, Hudson was an incredible player for us. If Carr starts getting a lot of pressure up the middle, we could be in trouble.

I just hope carr finds another deep threat he’s comfortable throwing it too cause if not we’re burnt toast

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, BackinBlack said:

I think what happened with Nelly last year was a fluke and had more to do with not having other WRs.  I could see the same thing happening with Brown because it is a similar setup but to get lucky 2 years in a row is not likely.  I put very little trust in Brown having a breakout year.  The o-line is what scares me the most.  To many ways the line could let us down.  We are counting on everyone staying healthy, playing better than expected, and being able to transition without issue.  Just to many moving peices and question marks for me to feel safe.

• Like 1