The QB Thread: Everything Carr, Stidham and beyond...

RaidersAreOne

10 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

I just find it interesting that you have an excuse for every other quarterback, but you can't acknowledge that the dude playing for your team just had a career year, top 10/borderline top 10 statistically by nearly every metric that matters and has room to get better as part of a top 10 offense.

I think Carr is about an average to above average level starting quarterback. But to act like he's just leaps and bounds better than Goff based on last season is inaccurate. Carr and our offense as a whole weren't very good in 2017, 2018, or 2019. And over the last two seasons Carr has started the year off strong and then completely collapsed over the last 6 games. 

37 minutes ago, Geezy said:

You act like any other QBs turnovers don’t negatively affect their defense lol until we get a breakdown of the entire league QBs and there turnover outcomes, it really don’t mean much. It’s common sense that a QBs turnover will lead to points for the other teams

Carr was actually tied for third with most turnovers (17) for a qb in 2020

3 hours ago, Geezy said:

Bad games happen, Brady threw 3 picks in the NFC Championship Game and still got to the SB. It’s almost like football is a team sport. Carr throws 3 picks we get rolled by 30. 

Brady accounted for 13 turnovers in 2020 

7 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Carr was actually tied for third with most turnovers (17) for a qb in 2020

Carr in 2018/2019: 8,103 yards (69% comp), 40 TD, 18 INT

Goff in 2019/2020: 8,590 yards (65% comp), 42 TD, 29 INT

But somehow Carr is top 10 and Goff is one of the worst QB's in the league. 

23 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Do you think if you put Derek on that Rams team, they'd make the playoffs? 

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

why are you choosing different year sample sets though

use carr 19 and 20... 

20 minutes ago, Turnobili said:

why are you choosing different year sample sets though

use carr 19 and 20... 

The reason I used Carr 2018 and 2019 is because Carr regressed in those years, just like Goff has the last two years. 

Carr's best season came during year 3 when he led us to a 12-3 record and threw for 3,937 yards, 28 TD/6 INT. The following 3 seasons he regressed and passed for 11,599 yards 62 TD/31 INT and we had a losing record in each of those 3 years. He bounced back this past season with arguably his best year of his career. 

Goff's best season also came during year 3 where he led the Rams to a 13-3 record, Super Bowl appearance, and threw for 4,700 yards 32 TD/12 INT. The last two seasons he has regressed and put up similar numbers to what Carr did when he was regressing. 

As we've seen with Carr though it is possible for a guy to have a great year, a couple of okay years, then bounce back to good production. So to act like Carr is just leaps and bounds better than Goff is just weird to me personally. 

21 minutes ago, Geezy said:

Also wasn’t in position to have to win every week, he had defense to lean on

He also wasn't putting his defense in a bad position by leaving points on the board. Brady threw 28 TD/0 INT in the red zone and Carr threw 15 TD/1 INT in the red zone. They had the 7th best red zone TD% in the league and we had the 24th best. We also led the NFL in red zone FGA. 

6 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

He also wasn't putting his defense in a bad position by leaving points on the board. Brady threw 28 TD/0 INT in the red zone and Carr threw 15 TD/1 INT in the red zone. They had the 7th best red zone TD% in the league and we had the 24th best. We also led the NFL in red zone FGA. 

I will not let Carr off the hook entirely with this one but Gruden's offense has had close to the same TD to redzone trip percentage since his first stay with the Raiders.  Low to mid 50s every year.  Difference is that his first stent in Oakland that was above average in the league.  Now it is bottom ten.  His system is mostly to blame here.  We were 58-60% from 2015 to 2017.  2014 we were number one in the league but we almost never got into the red zone so I do not count it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Backnblk explained it very thoroughly which I give him props for keeping it real 

They’re a consensus bottom 5 defense in Carrs career. In most years, the defense hasn’t helped the offense much with turnovers or field position either. Which definitely hurts too. 

2 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Tom Brady put up 13 points against the 20th best defense in the league during that Super Bowl and in two of his Super Bowl losses has scored 17 and 14. 

Yeah I’m aware. But Goff was a product of McVays system and eventually became a liability. Carr was one of the best deep passers in the league last year and is playing with a coach who is incredibly inferior to mcvay in terms of play design/red zone execution. Not to mention Goff benefited from a great running game which opened up play action when he was at his best. We’ve never had that kind of production from the running game.

You think McVay wouldn’t take Carr over Goff straight up? Carr and Stafford have a lot of similarities as players.

4 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

I will not let Carr off the hook entirely with this one but Gruden's offense has had close to the same TD to redzone trip percentage since his first stay with the Raiders.  Low to mid 50s every year.  Difference is that his first stent in Oakland that was above average in the league.  Now it is bottom ten.  His system is mostly to blame here.  We were 58-60% from 2015 to 2017.  2014 we were number one in the league but we almost never got into the red zone so I do not count it.

Yep his play calling in the RZ has been miserable.