The QB Thread: Everything Carr, Stidham and beyond...

RaidersAreOne

On 9/13/2021 at 1:30 PM, ronjon1990 said:

He's definitely underrated in terms of being viewed as a threat. 

He's very much a capable WR1, but almost nobody gives him that recognition. 

My thing with Cooper Kupp is if you actually watch nobody covers him. That’s why I can never respect him lol

25 minutes ago, Geezy said:

I wish I had time to go through this thread and quote all you haters terrible takes. 

I wouldn’t say they were terrible takes, Carr wasn’t playing up to his abilities from since 2016 by playing scared, throwing short too much and not executing in RZ. All were fair criticisms.

To his credit, the 1st 3 games he has improved in those areas. Let’s keep it up 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, bucksavage1 said:

I wouldn’t say they were terrible takes, Carr wasn’t playing up to his abilities from since 2016 by playing scared, throwing short too much and not executing in RZ. All were fair criticisms.

Here’s the thing though: The misconception is that he actually was a good quarterback back in 2016 when the reality they played against most of the teams picking in the top 11 that year and or bottom 10 defenses. I was saying back then that the things he was doing you could tell he didn’t know how to play actual NFL quarterback.

So what I said back then was that the best thing ever happened to him was Jon Gruden. Gruden taught him actually how to not just be a one dimensional deep thrower and actually go through his progressions and sometimes take a profit rather than throwing an interception.  

When he really turned the corner was andWhen he really turned the corner was The second half of the 2018 season where he went through a stretch where he didn’t throw any interceptions and that’s when I saw the change (although the Stat sheet didnt match.) It took time but now Derek Carr is actually a smart quarterback not just the talented quarterback. This is why you can see Josh Allen get shut down by the Steelers and only get 179 against the Dolphins but there’s Carr can go for almost 400 yards on both of them.

Edited by Jeremy408
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, bucksavage1 said:

Crazy what a supporting cast can do for a QB, Carr didn’t just wake up and decide to be a better QB. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Geezy said:

Crazy what a supporting cast can do for a QB, Carr didn’t just wake up and decide to be a better QB. 

Meh I’d say he’s utilizing his wr targets more. I’d also say this oline isn’t part of the great supporting cast. Carr has always been a yardage guy just doesn’t have the tds to show for it. 4K yrds and 25 tds is pretty much a given with him. Difference is now he has a defense who will give him extra chances. Plus we’ve played 14 qtrs of football in 3 weeks. I’m definitely cautiously optimistic because we’ve yet to score in the first qtr and last week we put so much unnecessary pressure on our defense that they almost broke. Imo that Mia game should have been a signature blowout. But due to the offense it was a ot nail biter. A w is a w but dam that was a lil too close to be a regular thing. 

15 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Meh I’d say he’s utilizing his wr targets more. I’d also say this oline isn’t part of the great supporting cast. Carr has always been a yardage guy just doesn’t have the tds to show for it. 4K yrds and 25 tds is pretty much a given with him. Difference is now he has a defense who will give him extra chances. Plus we’ve played 14 qtrs of football in 3 weeks. I’m definitely cautiously optimistic because we’ve yet to score in the first qtr and last week we put so much unnecessary pressure on our defense that they almost broke. Imo that Mia game should have been a signature blowout. But due to the offense it was a ot nail biter. A w is a w but dam that was a lil too close to be a regular thing. 

I count the defense as a supporting cast, the QB can lean on. Miami is a tough defense and were killing our OL. Also I feel we took our foot off the gas a bit in the 4th(classic Gruden). Team game, team win. Good teams lean on each other and find ways to win. We finally got a defense that can make up for some of our miscues on offense and honestly DC is straight money in the 4th/OT. So if the defense can keep us in, DC is gonna go and win it lol 

3 minutes ago, Geezy said:

I count the defense as a supporting cast, the QB can lean on. Miami is a tough defense and were killing our OL. Also I feel we took our foot off the gas a bit in the 4th(classic Gruden). Team game, team win. Good teams lean on each other and find ways to win. We finally got a defense that can make up for some of our miscues on offense and honestly DC is straight money in the 4th/OT. So if the defense can keep us in, DC is gonna go and win it lol 

Definitely agree dc is a different person in the 4th and ot. I think the mistakes played into the gruden conservative thing cause we could barely get the snaps right. Plus carr was lightweight getting killed from the oline. I was glad carr went under center i think that helped James. I give  carr credit cause he’s making his surroundings work for him, giving his wrs chances an keeping his fumbles t/o’s low. Also we did better in the redzone yesterday I think that’s a MAJOR issue. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Definitely agree dc is a different person in the 4th and ot. I think the mistakes played into the gruden conservative thing cause we could barely get the snaps right. Plus carr was lightweight getting killed from the oline. I was glad carr went under center i think that helped James. I give  carr credit cause he’s making his surroundings work for him, giving his wrs chances an keeping his fumbles t/o’s low. Also we did better in the redzone yesterday I think that’s a MAJOR issue. 

Definitely spreading the ball around, which makes us hard to stop. Also like that we’re finding ways to get Ruggs the balls. That speed motion to the wheel route was money. 

10 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

I've just read a post in the NFL comparisons thread that Mac Jones is a better QB than Carr because he's more consistent apparently, it was said in all seriousness. 

Some people are just so bonkers it makes me laugh 😂

i was just in that thread, unreal. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Good thing we won anyway. Besides this, haven't seen many errant throws this year.

That’s why carr couldn’t help chase him down cause he got knocked down. god that was the slowest pick 6 I ever saw felt like it took forever for him to score 🤦🏽‍♂️

On 9/27/2021 at 3:00 PM, Jeremy408 said:

My thing with Cooper Kupp is if you actually watch nobody covers him. That’s why I can never respect him lol

Eh, what?? Nobody bothers to cover him??!?? 

I normally see a lot of sense in what you post but this is just confusing. I watch quite a bit of the Rams and Cooper Kupp is certainly not uncovered every play. Sure, they do scheme him free from time to time but his route running is great and he's very underrated after the catch too. Very, very good WR who probably doesn't get the respect he deserves IMO.