The QB Thread: Everything Carr, Stidham and beyond...

RaidersAreOne

1 minute ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

So you're saying that was 100 percent of Carr's arm strength on that throw?  He can't throw one more yard?  Come on man, tell me you're kidding bc that is a pretty pathetic example. 

Do you know what effortlessly means?

1 minute ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Started throw from 43yard line landed 15 yard line =42 yards effortlessly imo so consistent to my original worthless opinion 

I think he has plenty of strength but the bodybuilding is probably impacting his range of motion and accuracy.  He looks like his arms are a little short so that could compound the issue.  His arm length is in the lower 50% based on the combine.  For anyone who is a golfer they know putting on a few pounds of muscle can completely throw off your swing.  I would think when throwing a football it could have the same effect.  The Pro Bowl thro to Hilton lets me know he use to have near elite throwing ability.  Now I could not tell because he hardly shows it.

• Like 1

Just now, NCOUGHMAN said:

Original opinion 40 yards max accurately 50 yards max just chucking it 

Haha I don't know what to say.  You've shown me nothing but your opinion and I've shown you a 60 yard dime piece.

Sometimes in life you have to know when to tap out.  You got me LOL

Let's discuss something else :)

1 minute ago, drfrey13 said:

I think he has plenty of strength but the bodybuilding is probably impacting his range of motion and accuracy.  He looks like his arms are a little short so that could compound the issue.  His arm length is in the lower 50% based on the combine.  For anyone who is a golfer they know putting on a few pounds of muscle can completely throw off your swing.  I would think when throwing a football it could have the same effect.  The Pro Bowl thro to Hilton lets me know he use to have near elite throwing ability.  Now I could not tell because he hardly shows it.

He has the ability but it's hard to show it off throwing to the likes of Nelson, Ateman, Gafford Doss, Jones...  Insert any piece of trash WR we have had on the roster the last 3 years

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

Haha I don't know what to say.  You've shown me nothing but your opinion and I've shown you a 60 yard dime piece.

Sometimes in life you have to know when to tap out.  You got me LOL

Let's discuss something else :)

I used to bench 350lbs 3 years ago now not so much. But it makes for cool stories tho

1 hour ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

He has the ability but it's hard to show it off throwing to the likes of Nelson, Ateman, Gafford Doss, Jones...  Insert any piece of trash WR we have had on the roster the last 3 years

Talent of his receivers definitely played a part but I think he is gun shy also.  That does not mean he has not done it but he is less likely to pull the trigger.  That limits what the team can do. Were as Fitz is the complete opposite.  He is trigger happy and gets himself and his team into trouble by doing to much.  If you give Carr Fitz's mental makeup, including intelligence, I think you end up with one hell of a QB.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/21/2020 at 3:46 PM, Turnobili said:

Mariota's contract just looks more and more stupid by the day. he's definitely an above-average backup but he's getting paid quite a bit for that role, and there were other guys avaiable who could have been and have signed for less. would much rather have had Dalton/Cam/Winston for their pay than Mariota.

feeling better (or worse inside) about this take every day

wonder how many potential acquisitions we missed out on becuase we had over 7 mil tied up to a backup qb who is apparently broken

Edited by Turnobili

Haven’t bothered with the past 35-40 pages of this. It’s on Carr to prove he is the Raiders answer, or he isn’t. He’s had plenty of chances. I hope he lights the league on fire, I’d much rather draft a world class LB or DT in the 1st next year and not have to draft a QB, but that’s for Carr to prove. He’s honestly going to be on a short leash. 4-5 bad games and you have Mariota. 

Carr is playing some pretty bad pass defenses this year, has a Top OL, and has Ruggs added to the mix. I’m very excited to see what he can do. And if he can’t, also excited for another chapter of a new QB next year. It’s a win-win either way for the fans to be honest

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Haven’t bothered with the past 35-40 pages of this. It’s on Carr to prove he is the Raiders answer, or he isn’t. He’s had plenty of chances. I hope he lights the league on fire, I’d much rather draft a world class LB or DT in the 1st next year and not have to draft a QB, but that’s for Carr to prove. He’s honestly going to be on a short leash. 4-5 bad games and you have Mariota. 

Carr is playing some pretty bad pass defenses this year, has a Top OL, and has Ruggs added to the mix. I’m very excited to see what he can do. And if he can’t, also excited for another chapter of a new QB next year. It’s a win-win either way for the fans to be honest

Its going to be very interesting.......we are going to see some bad games for sure if we start two rookie receivers but they both have massive potential so we should see some pretty awesome games too.

You know what? I hate to say it but I dont think we'll get a definitive answer on Carr either way, I think he'll play well enough for us to be in contention and scrape into the playoffs but whether due to mistakes or poor communication etc. I can see us having some really disjointed games and we're going to all be arguing about how the Covid reduced training camp, preseason and having two rookie receivers affected us or whether Carr should have overcome those with what is an improved supporting cast.

Let the good times roll! 😀😀

5 hours ago, roi34 said:

Carr needs 4500 yards 30+ tds and 10-14 int and beat KC one game and I'll feel good. couple that with improved redzone conversion and I'm good with him going forward.

I don’t see that happening unfortunately.  
we’re gonna be drafting a QB in ‘21 I think.

i think the loss of Tyrell Williams was the beginning of the end.  While he wasn’t that great a WR with him we had just enough.  Having 2 rookie WRs means lots of growing pains throughout the season.  

this offense isn’t scaring any defense.  

6 hours ago, roi34 said:

Carr needs 4500 yards 30+ tds and 10-14 int and beat KC one game and I'll feel good. couple that with improved redzone conversion and I'm good with him going forward.

Basically the same. Hard to put numbers on it, but it’s now or never for Carr, not just an “above average” season and stay in limbo QB hell. 

I want to see about 4500 yards, 31 TDs, 7 INTs, 8.3 YPA, One KC win. 

I’ll certainly settle for less than that if he would show some grit. The guy completely shut down in multiple games last year like the Jets and Vikings and refused to take any chances, refused to do anything, basically refused to play football almost entirely. Show me some grit. 

Edited by BayRaider

1 hour ago, jimkelly02 said:

i think the loss of Tyrell Williams was the beginning of the end.  While he wasn’t that great a WR with him we had just enough.  Having 2 rookie WRs means lots of growing pains throughout the season.  

this offense isn’t scaring any defense.  

Meh. For the last three seasons Tyrell Williams has been like a 40 catch/650 yard guy. That's solid but it's definitely replaceable. Agholor had 60+ catches/700+ yards in both '17 and '18 with the Eagles and he's only 27. Waller is going to get 100+ targets, Renfrow should get 80+ targets, Jacobs will likely get around 50 targets. We're going to spread the ball around and already have a high end #1 receiving option with Waller.