The QB Thread: Everything Carr, Stidham and beyond...

RaidersAreOne

Mariota was brought in to push Carr for the starting job at some point, but has not been sharp at training camp and is no threat for the starting role. During the offseason, Mariota had lingering problems with his ankle and shoulder. After missing a week of camp, the former Titans starter returned to practice this week and Gruden said he wasn’t concerned about the absence.

Mayock talked to reporters last week and said Mariota is a great … guy

From Vic Tafurs article. 

1 minute ago, agarcia34 said:

Mariota seems like a good guy. But his career is over. May be able to continue to hang around as a back up QB but look forward to moving on from him after this season. 

At least Carr will get a full 16 games so people can decide once and for all if he’s the guy. Unless he gets benched for Peterman... that would be hard to imagine. Not entirely out of the realm of possibility though, but Carr would have be having a ridiculously bad season for 10+ games for that to happen. 

55 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

At least Carr will get a full 16 games so people can decide once and for all if he’s the guy. Unless he gets benched for Peterman... that would be hard to imagine. Not entirely out of the realm of possibility though, but Carr would have be having a ridiculously bad season for 10+ games for that to happen. 

With TW down all we need is for Edwrads, Ruggs, Waller, or Jacobs to go down for excuses to start.  We could even have a tackle get injured and we will hear the Parker excuse.  Would not be surprised if we get the defense excuse no matter what.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

With TW down all we need is for Edwrads, Ruggs, Waller, or Jacobs to go down for excuses to start.  We could even have a tackle get injured and we will hear the Parker excuse.  Would not be surprised if we get the defense excuse no matter what.

Like I've said many times, you can come up with excuses for 31 QBs in the league. There will always be excuses. Only one stacked is Mahomes with Reid and Weapons. Hell, if Mahomes started performing badly, fans can start saying OL OL OL!!!!

At some point, the excuses have to stop, or you wasted multiple years of your Franchise on blind hope.

1 hour ago, BayRaider said:

Like I've said many times, you can come up with excuses for 31 QBs in the league. There will always be excuses. Only one stacked is Mahomes with Reid and Weapons. Hell, if Mahomes started performing badly, fans can start saying OL OL OL!!!!

At some point, the excuses have to stop, or you wasted multiple years of your Franchise on blind hope.

I agree.  I have been over the excuses for almost 2 years.  Physically I think he is fine but in between the ears is broken.  Of course his play will get better or worse depending on how he functions with the other players and coaches but I believe he requires to much help to accomplish our goals.  If he fixes his bad habits then he will require less help.  I think the chances of him fixing himself are very low.  David Carr still has better arm talent then a lot of QBs in the league but he was broken up top also.

• Like 1

its almost like that 7.5 mil could have been used more effectively if we didnt rush to sign mariota in what turned out to be a dead qb market, with starting guys like winston/newton/dalton signing for a fraction of what mariota got.

reminds me of the lakers giving mozgov that huge contract at 12:01 am as free agency opened

So far 3 FA signings and two draft picks complete bust. Only Mariota can make an impact if he returns from IR and gets time. But giving him that contract when Cam, Winston and Dalton who are all superior players is crazy. I think Mariota is making more then all those QBs combined

Mayocks/Grudens moves this off-season questionable but let's hope the rest pan out or we're picking top 3

Edited by bucksavage1

1 hour ago, Turnobili said:

its almost like that 7.5 mil could have been used more effectively if we didnt rush to sign mariota in what turned out to be a dead qb market, with starting guys like winston/newton/dalton signing for a fraction of what mariota got.

reminds me of the lakers giving mozgov that huge contract at 12:01 am as free agency opened

Do not remind me.  That was one of the final straws for me and basketball.  Players salaries are stupid in basketball.  Everyone says who should get the money if the players do not.  I am not advocating for the owners to get more.  How about we lower the ridiculous prices and pay the workers a living wage.  For a family of 4 to go to a game it cost more than the average weekly salary.

1 hour ago, Turnobili said:

Mosgov and Deng... lol