The QB Thread: Everything Carr, Stidham and beyond...

RaidersAreOne

11 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Absolutely. I agree that we had a far inferior WR group out there yesterday.

Even with a healthy Ruggs and Edwards their WR group would've been better yesterday. Diggs is one of the elite WR's in the game, Brown is one of the best #2 WR's in the game, and Beasley is one of the best slot guys in the game. 

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

Even with a healthy Ruggs and Edwards their WR group would've been better yesterday. Diggs is one of the elite WR's in the game, Brown is one of the best #2 WR's in the game, and Beasley is one of the best slot guys in the game. 

I misspoke. I meant, including waller and the tight ends, plus Jacobs/Richard in the pass game I'll take our skill position over theirs IF we have everyone healthy.

16 hours ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

I watched wentz gut his eagles past sf Last night with wrs I never heard of. Watched guys like arod, Brees & Brady win with wr guys I’ve never heard of. 

carr needs to just sling that shish. go out swinging. the deep throws are 95% of the time open and teams dare carr to chuck it and are willing to live or die by it. 9/10 carr won’t chuck it. I know that y’all know that and the whole nfl knows. 

I know exactly what you mean and I'm probably one of the few guys on here that still think Wentz is a good QB but that's a perfect example of why a D is so crucial to the QB. When Wentz threw that awful first interception what happened next? The D bailed him out by sacking the QB and getting an immediate 3 and out. They also recorded another interception returned for a defensive TD, sack fumble, and got pressure throughout. Wentz was really struggling in the first half, looking shaky and missing throws right and left but the D kept them in a tight contest early. Kudos to Wentz for sticking in there and gutsing it out but he also had an awful lot of help from his D.

I hope that Carr opens it up a little more too and uses his legs more but its a good start for me and something to build off. We need to improve 3 things; pass rush, pass rush and pass rush IMO.

Edited by Darbsk
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Darbsk said:

I know exactly what you mean and I'm probably one of the few guys on here that still think Wentz is a good QB but that's a perfect example of why a D is so crucial to the QB. When Wentz threw that awful first interception what happened next? The D bailed him out by sacking the QB and getting an immediate 3 and out. They also recorded another interception returned for a defensive TD, sack fumble, and got pressure throughout. Wentz was really struggling in the first half, looking shaky and missing throws right and left but the D kept them in a tight contest early. Kudos to Wentz for sticking in there and gutsing it out but he also had an awful lot of help from his D.

I hope that Carr opens it up a little more too and uses his legs more but its a good start for me and something to build off. We need to improve 3 things; pass rush, pass rush and pass rush IMO.

Agreed though the lack of defense will be a reason not to open it though as he knows they won’t bail him out which QBs like Wentz have the benefit of. 

Carr has played well so far this season and is a long long way down the list of reasons why we have lost the last 2 games, anybody being objective can see that. 

• Like 1

I don’t think it’s coincidence that Allen has made a leap right after he got a #1 WR. 

Carr has played pretty well he’s just being overshadowed by guys playing at an insane level in Mahomes Wilson Rodgers and Brady. The defense needs to play better, the offense can’t keep up and be perfect. 

52 minutes ago, Chali21 said:

I don’t think it’s coincidence that Allen has made a leap right after he got a #1 WR. 

Carr has played pretty well he’s just being overshadowed by guys playing at an insane level in Mahomes Wilson Rodgers and Brady. The defense needs to play better, the offense can’t keep up and be perfect

This. 

We wonder why the offense is adverse to risk, that's why. Risks are a 50/50 at best. Our D couldn't stop a team of sloths from blazing down the field. 

Conservative offense, though frustrating, is the only reason we're literally a handful of plays from 4-0. 

Say we did start taking chances and turnovers piled up with double digit blowout losses. Every single person deriding the offense would be calling for Carr's head. Forget being down 1/2 of the O-line, the run game looking like garbage, and being down to our end-of-roster WRs. 

Some people think it's as easy as Madden, I swear. 1 or 2 risks going awry and next thing we know, we're out of the game entirely. The defense can't mitigate any damage whatsoever, so the offense is stuck trying to limit turnovers and focusing on simple consistency. 

A semi-competent defense would very likely have us 4-0 right now and riding pretty. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

This. 

We wonder why the offense is adverse to risk, that's why. Risks are a 50/50 at best. Our D couldn't stop a team of sloths from blazing down the field. 

Conservative offense, though frustrating, is the only reason we're literally a handful of plays from 4-0. 

Say we did start taking chances and turnovers piled up with double digit blowout losses. Every single person deriding the offense would be calling for Carr's head. Forget being down 1/2 of the O-line, the run game looking like garbage, and being down to our end-of-roster WRs. 

Some people think it's as easy as Madden, I swear. 1 or 2 risks going awry and next thing we know, we're out of the game entirely. The defense can't mitigate any damage whatsoever, so the offense is stuck trying to limit turnovers and focusing on simple consistency. 

A semi-competent defense would very likely have us 4-0 right now and riding pretty. 

Agree wholeheartedly. Great post.

13 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

I misspoke. I meant, including waller and the tight ends, plus Jacobs/Richard in the pass game I'll take our skill position over theirs IF we have everyone healthy.

except we never use jacobs in pass game, still have no idea why

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Darbsk said:

Eagles d 20th in points allowed per game us 24th about a fg diff 

we tried to give the saints game away with 2nd half 3 and outs and fumbles but the d came thru. Vs Patriots defense looked great but offense couldn’t do Anything and d got gassed early. Vs buff we wanted to kick fgs and our garbage d (I admit) held them to 23pts in the 4th. Our defense isn’t anything special but to ignore the offensive failures isn’t being realistic imo.

and as mentioned above us holding a team under 21pts like philly did sf only guarantees us 62% victory. 

1 hour ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

we tried to give the saints game away with 2nd half 3 and outs and fumbles but the d came thru. Vs Patriots defense looked great but offense couldn’t do Anything and d got gassed early. Vs buff we wanted to kick fgs and our garbage d (I admit) held them to 23pts in the 4th. Our defense isn’t anything special but to ignore the offensive failures isn’t being realistic imo.

and as mentioned above us holding a team under 21pts like philly did sf only guarantees us 62% victory. 

defense gives up long drives all the time though. that's the killer. not easy to get offense going all the time on the bench for 6 min at a time.

vs buffalo we drove at will, missed catch by waller cost us 1 TD. 3rd down checkdown didn't give us a shot at another. and long td pass called back. we are a young team people forget and still need to learn how to win and not those killer mistakes. refs don't help but not main reason we lose. just contributing factor.

36 minutes ago, roi34 said:

defense gives up long drives all the time though. that's the killer. not easy to get offense going all the time on the bench for 6 min at a time.

vs buffalo we drove at will, missed catch by waller cost us 1 TD. 3rd down checkdown didn't give us a shot at another. and long td pass called back. we are a young team people forget and still need to learn how to win and not those killer mistakes. refs don't help but not main reason we lose. just contributing factor.

Our defense is weak can’t argue that 24th in the nfl in points given up but carr also leads the nfl in fumbles this year iirc which can’t happen. 

You can quote all the stats you like but its not really pertinent to the point I made, the Eagles D won that match with a little help from Carson Wentz who didnt have a great game but pulled out a couple key runs and hung in there. 

Now, with regard to the Raiders, can the offense be better? Certainly. Have they contributed to our downfall in games at times. Certainly. But the defence is clearly, to any logical person, the reason why we lose the majority if games that go against us. I'd love for our offense to improve and I'd love for Carr to play even better but the real weakness of this team is pass rush, giving up 3rd down conversions and creating turnovers and I think that's something that's pretty obvious from watching the games.

8 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Our defense is weak can’t argue that 24th in the nfl in points given up but carr also leads the nfl in fumbles this year iirc which can’t happen. 

Being a QB is like walking a thin line.  People hate check-downs but I've seen people want Josh Jacobs more involved in the pass game.  I've seen people get mad that he doesn't hold onto the ball and take the deep shot, but then he holds on for too long trying to let a play develop and he gets stripped by the pass rusher that just beat our backup RT or Kolton Miller who looks great when we play the short pass game.  It's tough.  I honestly think a lot of complaints are based upon the fact that we have lost 2 in a row.  If we won both these games we wouldn't be complaining about all the reasons we lost these 2 games.

• Like 1

The Eagles D also scored a TD so contributed 7 points, forced a number of quick punts on SF drives and negated a Wentz interception by forcing a 3 and out straight after so its more than just simply PPG stats and you know that as a coach. If we had D that could pressure the QB, turn the ball over now and again and be even average then we'd probably be 4-0 right now.