The QB Thread: Everything Carr, Stidham and beyond...

RaidersAreOne

12 hours ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

You have to Tua is made of glass.

I wonder if/when he'll play this season. Fitzpatrick has played surprisingly well but he has always been a guy that can play well in stretches and then falls off. 

Edited by NYRaider

15 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Watson threw for 3,850 yards (67% comp | 7.8 Y/A), 26 TD, 12 INT last season.

And is on pace for 4,650 yards (66% comp | 8.9 Y/A), 29 TD, 16 INT this year. 

The only reason he's getting hate is because they're 1-4. 

Those aren't great numbers.

66%??  16 INTs??

2 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

DC starting to enter MVP articles. Read two that has him in top 10 

I have him #10 after the Chief game, he’s earned it. Great year so far. However, what’s most important to me is he plays this way all season. If he can’t play this way all year, he hasn’t proven anything. I’m basically having de ja vu because we were all hyping Carr up Week 7 or so last year and then half the forum wanted him gone again after the season was over due to another streak of horror. 

I’m thrilled so far but let’s hope there’s no streaky play, and he keeps playing at this level all season. 

Edited by BayRaider

15 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

I have him #10 after the Chief game, he’s earned it. Great year so far. However, what’s most important to me is he plays this way all season. If he can’t play this way all year, he hasn’t proven anything. I’m basically having de ja vu because we were all hyping Carr up Week 7 or so last year and then half the forum wanted him gone again after the season was over due to another streak of horror. 

I’m thrilled so far but let’s hope there’s no streaky play, and he keeps playing at this level all season. 

yes yes, we know, you want Carr to prove it all season long before you are ready to say he could be our starter next year. 

17 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

I don't recall this at all, as I remember it most around here were complinentary early in the season saying he's playing well and efficiently even if he was being slightly conservative and others were not impressed. Nobody was really hyping Carr last year, maybe @OG_C2X

Second half of the season he didnt play so well but still not badly IMO and most thought it was due to having such poor receiving options and injuries whilst some picked apart his character and called him a loser, beta male etc. That's how I recall it........

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BackinBlack said:

yes yes, we know, you want Carr to prove it all season long before you are ready to say he could be our starter next year. 

Just believe, if he has one bad game, just one, he needs to be traded for a jelly donut.  Can't have him throwing for 35 TDs and then having one bad game you know.  Then he has to go....playoffs or not, inconsistency, is not tolerated by any measure.  Maybe even a bad quarter.  We might need to get rid of him if he has 15 inconsistent minutes.  Maybe one more INT and we just trade him for Josh Rosen or Haskins.  Can't tolerate a bad day, not on this team, not at the QB position.

Edited by Jerry
  • Like 1

Just now, Darbsk said:

I don't recall this at all, as I remember it most around here were complinentary early in the season saying he's playing well and efficiently even if he was being slightly conservative and others were not impressed. Nobody was really hyping Carr last year, maybe @OG_C2X

Second half of the season he didnt play so well but still not badly IMO and most thought it was due to having such poor receiving options and injuries whilst some picked apart his character and called him a loser, beta male etc. That's how I recall it........

and anything in Carrs defense was just an excuse and got the poster labeled as a Carr homer

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

I definitely attribute his play dropping off last year due to Jacobs' injury and not playing 3 games and then Hunter Renfrow being lost some games with a rib injury/punctured lung or something along those lines.  We started getting banged up and didn't have the depth or talent on offense to compete.

Edited by Jerry
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Jerry said:

I definitely attribute his play dropping off last year due to Jacobs' injury and not playing 3 games and then Hunter Renfrow being lost some games with a rib injury/punctured lung or something along those lines.  We started getting banged up and didn't have the depth or talent on offense to compete.

Also, the Jacksonville game where Carr slid in bounds and it should've been a wrap and they said he ran out of bounds.  Referees just crap all over our team sometimes.  It's unbelievable that something so ridiculous can happen in front of millions of people and the NFL just walks away from it like its a homeless person asking for change.  Crazy part is we had fans in here that instead of saying it was bogus, just crapped all over DC, saying he should've still won us the game when he practically already did.  Just crapping all over him.  Again though, if the referees start throwing too many flags on DC (the offense), trade him.  Trade him or so help me Dave Chappelle, I will LOSE IT.

Edited by Jerry
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Darbsk said:

He definitely played extremely poorly in the 2nd half of the season. And after the Packer game, which was about the same point as this point, everyone was hyping him up as a Top 12 QB, the guy is great, and anyone who has ever criticized him has always been 1000% wrong, etc. That sentiment echoed again after the Lion game, which was the 32nd Ranked Pass D and one of the worst Pass D’s in the history of the NFL (I think it did end up the worst Pass D in NFL History). And then he fell apart the final 8 games. 

So yes, Carr did get the SAME hype the first half of last season that he is getting now, it was A LOT of hype. 

I’m not saying Carr is going to have a bad second half, I hope he lights it up all 16 games, has a Pro Bowl year, and finishes Top 10 as an MVP candidate. Just don’t want people getting carried away like last year. Yes he deserves A LOT of praise for the Chief game. But it doesn’t mean he’s completely proven he is our permanent answer at QB. Not by any stretch of the imagination. We need to see all 16 games for sure. 

1 minute ago, BayRaider said:

He definitely played extremely poorly in the 2nd half of the season. And after the Packer game, which was about the same point as this point, everyone was hyping him up as a Top 12 QB, the guy is great, and anyone who has ever criticized him has always been 1000% wrong, etc. That sentiment echoed again after the Lion game, which was the 32nd Ranked Pass D and one of the worst Pass D’s in the history of the NFL (I think it did end up the worst Pass D in NFL History). And then he fell apart the final 8 games. 

So yes, Carr did get the SAME hype the first half of last season that he is getting now, it was A LOT of hype. 

I’m not saying Carr is going to have a bad second half, I hope he lights it up all 16 games, has a Pro Bowl year, and finishes Top 10 as an MVP candidate. Just don’t want people getting carried away like last year. Yes he deserves A LOT of praise for the Chief game. But it doesn’t mean he’s completely proven he is our permanent answer at QB. Not by any stretch of the imagination. We need to see all 16 games for sure. 

Because if he even makes one mistake, even if its on the last play of the game, we cut him.  Save ourselves some money and go with our future at QB, Mariota, or maybe Haskins or Josh Rosen, or maybe even an unproven rookie.  Doesn't matter if we get into the playoffs.  If he messes up week 16 or 17, he will be a Raider no more.  We will not accept him as our QB if he takes us to the playoffs but has one bad game.  Just ridiculous that anyone is willing to accept anything less than perfection for 16 straight games. Completely concur with you BayRaider.  Completely concur.

9 minutes ago, Jerry said:

Just believe, if he has one bad game, just one, he needs to be traded for a jelly donut.  Can't have him throwing for 35 TDs and then having one bad game you know.  Then he has to go....playoffs or not, inconsistency, is not tolerated by any measure.  Maybe even a bad quarter.  We might need to get rid of him if he has 15 inconsistent minutes.  Maybe one more INT and we just trade him for Josh Rosen or Haskins.  Can't tolerate a bad day, not on this team, not at the QB position.

I’ve said many times a bad game is completely fine, although if we see two games like the Vikings and Jets where he completely shuts down and doesn’t even try to play football, that’s a huge red flag. Carr shutting down completely has always been one of my biggest gripes about him. I don’t mind a bad game, but at least play football, and go down swinging. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

I’ve said many times a bad game is completely fine, although if we see two games like the Vikings and Jets where he completely shuts down and doesn’t even try to play football, that’s a huge red flag. Carr shutting down completely has always been one of my biggest gripes about him. I don’t mind a bad game, but at least play football, and go down swinging. 

Luckily this year it looks like our offense will always have a punchers chance.  I love it.  That's what I tell my son, we may not have a complete team, but our offense is capable of throwing some sweet, delicious, fierce, relentless, game changing hay makers.  I love it.