The QB Thread: Everything Carr, Stidham and beyond...

RaidersAreOne

4 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

I think a lot have forgotten what’s like to not have to kick redzone fgs 90% of the time 

I agree. And in spite of that it was still a top 10 scoring offense. And a team 31st in the league in points allowed per drive.

On 5/9/2021 at 9:46 AM, Frankie2Gunz said:

I've never said that Carr would be splitting atoms if he wasn't throwing the old pigskin around but a 20 is far better than a pathetic 13.  13 is an embarrassing score and clearly shows that Tua lacks intelligence, an ability to process and problem solve.

I have been saying it for a while that Carr is just not intelligent.  Carr is at his best when he is not thinking about the game to much.  Also why he has a problem with maintaining his cool under pressure and remembering the situation.  He has become better but he still has those moments when you look at the TV and wonder what was he thinking.  He needs that Al Pacino talk that Jaime Fox got in Any Given Sunday.  Just go out and play.  That is when he is at his best.  

33 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I forgot what it was like for the QB not to fumble twice per game.

I think everyone can agree that last year the O and D sucked when it came to TOs.  Gruden had Carr out there running more but forgot to teach him about ball security.  He needs to stop worrying about his biceps and do some hand strengthening exercises.

14 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

I agree. And in spite of that it was still a top 10 scoring offense. And a team 31st in the league in points allowed per drive.

You can say the D sucked and the O did its part but coaching let us down.  Everyone in the league knew we needed to score TDs or die a slow death because of the defense then the coaches had to now they needed to be more aggressive.  They were not and we where assured a few losses because of it.  The defense put the offense in a bad spot multiple times and the coaches refused to change.  There were games when the defense showed up also but more often then not it was the defense.

2 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

I think everyone can agree that last year the O and D sucked when it came to TOs.  Gruden had Carr out there running more but forgot to teach him about ball security.  He needs to stop worrying about his biceps and do some hand strengthening exercises.

baby-hand-260nw-162711980.jpg

44 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Yup that’s impressive especially being tied with dall for 5th most offensive turnovers in the nfl last year.

2 hours ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Yup that’s impressive especially being tied with dall for 5th most offensive turnovers in the nfl last year.

Yeah there were a lot of miscues. Just goes to show how much potential the offense has if they can put it together.

1 hour ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Yeah there were a lot of miscues. Just goes to show how much potential the offense has if they can put it together.

I would not say potential.  Gruden's offense has stalled in the red zone his entire head coaching career.  His TD percentage in the red zone is always in the low to mid 50's.  Gruden does not know how to score in the red zone.  His first go around his TD% was good but now it ranks in the lower half of the league but still around the same percentage.  The league has improved and he has not.  The offense took off with Callahan opening up the offense but he screwed up the Super Bowl.  If we play any other team or Gruden is not the TB coach we win.

3 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

I would not say potential.  Gruden's offense has stalled in the red zone his entire head coaching career.  His TD percentage in the red zone is always in the low to mid 50's.  Gruden does not know how to score in the red zone.  His first go around his TD% was good but now it ranks in the lower half of the league but still around the same percentage.  The league has improved and he has not.  The offense took off with Callahan opening up the offense but he screwed up the Super Bowl.  If we play any other team or Gruden is not the TB coach we win.

Even if play calling isn't better, Foster and Edwards improvement, plus improved run blocking could definitely help.

8 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Even if play calling isn't better, Foster and Edwards improvement, plus improved run blocking could definitely help.

Drake has been one of the best running backs in the red zone the past couple of seasons. Moreau was a beast in the red zone as a rookie so ideally him and Edwards improve this year and we get Waller more involved inside the 20. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Carr is praised for limiting his interceptions but he had the 3rd most turnovers of any player in the league last year with 17 (9 INT, 8 fumbles lost). 

3 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Carr is praised for limiting his interceptions but he had the 3rd most turnovers of any player in the league last year with 17 (9 INT, 8 fumbles lost). 

I refuse to look at fumbles the same way as interceptions because there's way more to look at with how you're hit. Getting the full weight of a defensive end on your back from the blindside, or getting your hand hit in the middle of your throwing motion isn't the same as losing a bad fumble when scrambling because you didn't secure the ball.

Some of the fumbles are for sure his fault, but some of them were definitely unavoidable.

13 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

I am hoping we are but Gruden really needs to get a young up to date assistant that he trusts that can take over play calling.  I think that might be to much of a shot to his ego however.  We just need to be more aggressive.  There are situations where the smart choice is to kick the FG but it is not always that way.

2 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

I am hoping we are but Gruden really needs to get a young up to date assistant that he trusts that can take over play calling.  I think that might be to much of a shot to his ego however.  We just need to be more aggressive.  There are situations where the smart choice is to kick the FG but it is not always that way.

John Morton?

1 minute ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

John Morton?

I am not going to act like I know about coaching and what the fundamentals are that make up a good coach.  I can only look over the outcome and point to deficiencies.  If Morton is that man and Gruden is willing to hand over the play calling job then let's do it.

2 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

Meh even in 2016 carr had a lower completion % in the redzone 48% than Winston 49%. It’s not all gruden