The QB Thread: Everything Carr, Stidham and beyond...

RaidersAreOne

55 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

I know it’s easy to blame gruden but would you believe under gruden carr is having the best redzone completion %’s of his career (sad but true) with 2018 being his highest to date then 2019. 

Carr’s been garbage in the redzone since day 1 even that magical 2016 year. Carr is predictable we all know he loves to roll to his right in the redzone we all know he’s fumble prone around the goal line. 

as a coach sometimes especially with qbs I’ve asked them what formations, routes, roll outs etc their comfortable with and try to tailor the game plan around them. Gruden has gotten the best out of carr and deserves his props. I think 2020 was Carr’s ceiling. 

Whilst I agree with some of the above, I don't think we can deny that things such as Gruden forcing Witten into redzone packages etc. was the best use of resources so he's far from blameless and like I said, despite me liking Carr he definitely has a weakness there. I don't agree however that 2020 was his ceiling, he's got a lot of room to improve IMO. 

Edited by Darbsk
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

Whilst I agree with some of the above, I don't think we can deny that things such as Gruden forcing Witten into redzone packages etc. was the best use of resources so he's far from blameless and like I said, despite me liking Carr he definitely has a weakness there. I don't agree however that 2020 was his ceiling, he's got a lot of room to improve IMO. 

Personnel is definitely a questionable gruden thing. 

On 5/14/2021 at 6:08 PM, NCOUGHMAN said:

Carr had 2nd most attempts (49) of any qb inside the 10. Brady the leader had 51 attempts with 31 completions and 24 tds. 🤦🏽‍♂️

That's why Carr has and always will be fools gold in these situations he consistently falters, let's say he had 18 tds inside the 10, that's still below the best of them, but those 6 extra tds in that situation probably equates to a couple of wins atleast. I will say this last season was the first time we averaged over 20 points per game since Musgrave left. Redzone woes have to get better if we expect to make playoffs even with our bad defense a stat like this probably cost us 2 games.

Edited by raidr4life

1 hour ago, raidr4life said:

That's why Carr has and always will be fools gold in these situations he consistently falters, let's say he had 18 tds inside the 10, that's still below the best of them, but those 6 extra tds in that situation probably equates to a couple of wins atleast. I will say this last season was the first time we averaged over 20 points per game since Musgrave left. Redzone woes have to get better if we expect to make playoffs even with our bad defense a stat like this probably cost us 2 games.

Seeing mariota slam dunking a td made me think....and he threw dimes....fresh off the bench super limited reps...will to win...I feel maritota starting chargers game forward we make the playoffs....atl...ne...

11 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Throughout Carr's career.

Inside 20: 237/440 (53%), 110 TD, 10 INT

Inside 10: 127/238 (53%), 86 TD, 2 INT

Very interesting, how do his stats compare to guys like Matt Stafford, Jared Goff or other non elite guys? 

15 hours ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Crazy cause accuracy is his calling card

It is to a degree, but QBs naturally see a dip in completion percentage to some degree in the red zone. And with Carr, throwing into tight windows isn't exactly his biggest strength. And throws in the red zone are typically tight window throws a lot of the time. The field is condensed and the defense doesn't have to worry about anyone over the top. 

Not to mention Waller has never proven to be an elite red zone target, that isn't where Cooper is at his best either. Waller and Crabtree were quite clearly our 2 best red zone receiving threats in Carr's career, and I wouldn't say either is elite in that area. Outside of them we have had receivers that were at best good/solid in that area. 

11 hours ago, Darbsk said:

Very interesting, how do his stats compare to guys like Matt Stafford, Jared Goff or other non elite guys? 

2020 redzone 

stafford 36/66 54% 17td/2ints

carr 42/77 53% 15td/1int

goff 35/61 64% 15td/1int 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Mr Raider said:

It is to a degree, but QBs naturally see a dip in completion percentage to some degree in the red zone. And with Carr, throwing into tight windows isn't exactly his biggest strength. And throws in the red zone are typically tight window throws a lot of the time. The field is condensed and the defense doesn't have to worry about anyone over the top. 

Not to mention Waller has never proven to be an elite red zone target, that isn't where Cooper is at his best either. Waller and Crabtree were quite clearly our 2 best red zone receiving threats in Carr's career, and I wouldn't say either is elite in that area. Outside of them we have had receivers that were at best good/solid in that area. 

Waller would be an elite redzone target with any other QB it's Carr's shortcoming in that area why Waller doesn't have more tds in the redzone. This has been a running excuse for Carr for a long time now.