The QB Thread: Everything Carr, Stidham and beyond...

RaidersAreOne

49 minutes ago, raidr4life said:

That has nothing to do with it, if Carr had better success in the Redzone he would have thrown 30 td's. He's been horrid.

The raiders just drafted a WR/RB/QB to run the wildcat.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, agarcia34 said:

Carr has only thrown for 30 TD's once in his career(2015) was very much on his way in 2016 before the injury. With that being said what is the amount passing TD's that you would need to see from Carr for this offense to be successful? 

I would say it needs to be around 28-34 TD's

Dont really have a specific amount of TDs he needs to throw to be deemed successful. You can throw alot of TDs and still be garbage (see Bortles in 2015) or you can still have the highest completion % and still not be efficient (see Carr last two years).

He just needs to play better when it really matters. In the redzone. No reason a guy like Darren Waller should've only had 3 TDs last year. We have added weapons, we absolutely need to be more efficient down there and it starts with Carr.

In the 2nd half of games. There was like a 6 game stretch last year where we only averaged like 2.1 PPG in the 2nd half of games, if you excluded a meaningless garbage time TD against KC. That's flat out pathetic. I blame Gruden and Carr for that. 

And play better against actual good teams. The good games against Detroit and Denver are nice i guess, but what good teams has Carr really played well against. Play better in the cold weather. We travel to KC every December and Carr falls apart annually in Arrowhead. Seriously look at his career stats vs KC in December.

Josh Jacobs is our best player and we will ride him but if Carr can improve in these area's i will be satisfied.

• Like 1

On 5/6/2020 at 6:39 PM, agarcia34 said:

Well let's be realistic Jacobs ain't getting 40 TDs and nobody will be mad if he did, but the truth is Carr needs to put the ball in the end zone. All that stuff from the 20 to 20 means nothing if you cant finish. 

I think if teams feared his mobility he would do better in the redzone 

I used to love Gannon running those naked bootlegs in the redzone 

carr not using his mobility effectively is like shaq not dunking sure you can score with layups but sometimes you gotta just boof on a opponent and let them know you’re for real 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bucksavage1 said:

The early bye week gives the staff a shot to start Mariota if Carr is ineffective...or a shot for Carr to regain the starting position if he loses the Camp battle

Do you really think there's any chance that Carr is not starting in week 1?

• Like 3

On 5/6/2020 at 8:23 PM, Turnobili said:

what's really weird is that his last 2 seasons (which feel like the most conservative versions of Carr since his rookie year) have been the best years of his career as far as yards per attempt. doesnt seem to match the eye test, where he was seemingly much more consistently aggressive in 2015 and 2016. i think it does come down to context, in that what we've seen from him in recent years is that he doesnt ramp up the aggressiveness in the critical moments, like 3rd and long, or when we are down 2 scores in the 2nd half, whereas in 2016 he was a 4th quarter monster. the 4th down throwaways are sorta that in spades

im not in the "we definitely need to dump Carr" wagon or "Carr is THE GUY you're all just haters" wagon. i really think that's a false dichotomy. i have adopted the PFF view of QB's, when there are basically 3 tiers of QBs, with the elite ones who can get your team wins they otherwise had no business winning, the average QBs who can succeed when the team is built well around them, and will crumble when their support crumbles, and then theres the **** tier of guys like trubisky who outright hold offenses back. 

the expectations of Carr after 2016 would that he could join that elite tier, but it's just not in the cards for him. i think its naive to put him in the lower tier, too.

i've been against moving Carr these past couple of offseasons because i think any plan to ditch Carr has to go hand in hand with a legitimate long term replacement strategy. im not dumping him just to dump him. 

The bold is because Y/A is a fan and media stat only. No one, even analytic driven teams, values Y/A. 

12 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Do you really think there's any chance that Carr is not starting in week 1?

We have the 2nd highest paid backup QB next to Nick Foles in the NFL. Yes, there's a shot but the early bye week gives the staff a reason to pull Carr early if ineffective

the raiders have had 5 first round picks in the last 2 years. if gruden/mayock wanted to replace Carr they would have. we just had a rare offseason where mutliple starting caliber QBs were free agents. we were only said to have interest in one, and that was Tom Brady, and as far as I'm aware, those talks didnt go far and no actual offer was made. 

i'm not convinced that Gruden has had any intention to replace Carr, though it's fair to say he's on the hot seat with the Mariota signing and the draft picks we made.

Edited by Turnobili
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Turnobili said:

the raiders have had 5 first round picks in the last 2 years. if gruden/mayock wanted to replace Carr they would have. we just had a rare offseason where mutliple starting caliber QBs were free agents. we were only said to have interest in one, and that was Tom Brady, and as far as I'm aware, those talks didnt go far and no actual offer was made. 

i'm not convinced that Gruden has had any intention to replace Carr, though it's fair to say he's on the hot seat with the Mariota signing and the draft picks we made.

Agreed.  Opportunity to make a change was there.  Nothing shook.  That doesn't mean it won't if we don't show improvement.  But at this point if we regress, its going to be on both Jon and Derek.  

46 minutes ago, Turnobili said:

The contract they gave to Mariota is a replacement level deal. Total contract is potentially worth 46 million over 2 seasons. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, bucksavage1 said:

The contract they gave to Mariota is a replacement level deal. Total contract is potentially worth 46 million over 2 seasons. 

the operative word is potentially. it could just as easily be 1 year 7.5 mil

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, bucksavage1 said:

7 points or less in the 2nd half of 7 games won't fly this year.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, raidr4life said:

7 points or less in the 2nd half of 7 games won't fly this year.

Not at all, that's actually was pathetic looking back at it. Carr is on the hot seat whether or not people want to admit it or not. Our schedule isn't easy so Carr will have to play better vs tough teams or he will get the hook.

• Like 1