The QB Thread: Everything Carr, Stidham and beyond...

RaidersAreOne

usatsi_13770321.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1

I am reopening pandoras box and I know all hell is going to break loose but what's the point of a forum when you can't discuss the most important position? Let's try and keep all QB talk in here. Let's try avoiding getting this locked up for the 46th time. Let's just chill the f out and talk some football. 

Edited by RaidersAreOne
  • Like 1

I for one stay the hell away from most QB talk, but I am happy to see Gruden and Mayock aggressively address the WR position. We've added serious speed with Ruggs and Bowden, and size and physicality with Edwards. The later compliments the first two so well. I truly think this is a make or break year and if at some point Carr struggles, I don't see Jon hesitating to see what MM can do with our O.

The interesting part of this is seeing how the offense will change with more talent for Carr. Like I said in the Bowden thread, will we go more empty? Will we run more out of shotgun? Will Edwards be a big factor in the RZ in year 1? All very interesting questions.

In addition, we now have depth at outside receiver and WR. If any of our outside guys go down, Edwards can get time. Likewise for if Renfrow goes down, Bowden can play more from the slot as opposed to backing up Jacobs.

• Like 1

Carr guys got their wish, and I’m rooting for him. But he has to deliver. And not just deliver, but have a tremendous season. 

If Carr survives as the starter all season, it means he probably had a great year and is the starter in 2021. 

If Carr is benched at any point for Mariota this year, he’s probably gone. 

I think Carr will get at least 8-9 games, and would have to be pretty subpar to be benched for Mariota. But it’s certainly a possibility. Mariota was not signed as just a backup, but a insurance policy/second option. 

I hope we succeed and Carr goes guns blazing, however, obviously I have my concerns of that happening. He’s naturally conservative. However, he needs to get over that mindset, and let it rip with this WR core. 

We’re gonna find out a lot this year. 

As for Mariota, I’ve never been high on him personally, but he has an interesting skill-set, and still a Top 35 QB in the NFL. If he ends up starting, perhaps Gruden can unlock his hidden potential. Obviously I hope he never starts as that means we are struggling/failed, but it would be fun to see what Gruden can get out of him. 

• Like 4

I love Carr. I've always liked his spirit. And I will long be thankful for his better than we've been used to QB play from the day he came in. I think some people forget the atrocious train wreck we'd been at the position for years. 

I'm glad we've really been aggressive at addressing the WR position for once instead of relying on FA signings, scraps, and UDFA's to get the job done (I vividly remember some pimping Doss as somehow alleviating the Brown fiasco). But with that, I'm also now willing to say if he doesn't come out looking like 2016 Carr early on (minor slips with a probable shortened camp and 3 rookies notwithstanding), then it's undeniably time to move on. 

I think Mariota is a perfect backup for the time being. He should be hungry. I like his fit for the offense. And I don't exactly think Tennessee ever did right by him nor was he ever a good fit. We've seen guys like him move on and gind success and we've seen them crash. Personally, I think Gruden can tweak his game and exploit his skillset. So if Carr has to go, I believe we may still be in a good place- at least short term. 

Neither QB is exactly a "bum". Both are high character guys, which to me is important. Hopefully the competition between the two, whatever that may entail, brings out the best in both and one of them can net us a decent return in near future.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Carr guys got their wish, and I’m rooting for him. But he has to deliver. And not just deliver, but have a tremendous season. 

If Carr survives as the starter all season, it means he probably had a great year and is the starter in 2021. 

If Carr is benched at any point for Mariota this year, he’s probably gone. 

I think Carr will get at least 8-9 games, and would have to be pretty subpar to be benched for Mariota. But it’s certainly a possibility. Mariota was not signed as just a backup, but a insurance policy/second option. 

I hope we succeed and Carr goes guns blazing, however, obviously I have my concerns of that happening. He’s naturally conservative. However, he needs to get over that mindset, and let it rip with this WR core. 

We’re gonna find out a lot this year. 

As for Mariota, I’ve never been high on him personally, but he has an interesting skill-set, and still a Top 35 QB in the NFL. If he ends up starting, perhaps Gruden can unlock his hidden potential. Obviously I hope he never starts as that means we are struggling/failed, but it would be fun to see what Gruden can get out of him. 

What a passive aggressive, soft post.

You called Carr  "one of the worst QBs in the league, and biggest p**** in the league by a country mile" 

You have zero respect for the man and are going to try and tells us you're rooting for him. This is the classic "post something positive, in case it all comes back on me" post and I'm not hear for it.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

You called Carr  "one of the worst QBs in the league, and biggest p**** in the league by a country mile" 

You have zero respect for the man and are going to try and tells us you're rooting for him. This is the classic "post something positive, in case it all comes back on me" post and I'm not hear for it.

I agree. 

If you are going to have a take, have some conviction and stand by it. 

BayRaider doesn't want Carr to do well. He is rooting for him to fail. 

Y’all tripping I thought br had a good post.

bp you flip flop between carr also I think we all do except Frankie Lolol carr could blow chunks vs the jets and Frankie will be like meh 

Edited by NCOUGHMAN
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Yikes, staying out of this thread 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, OG_C2X said:

I agree. 

If you are going to have a take, have some conviction and stand by it. 

BayRaider doesn't want Carr to do well. He is rooting for him to fail. 

I agree and always stood by how I felt about Cooper from day 1, even after he would post a huge game....  Then I knew he would be nowhere to be found for 4 in a row LOL 

7 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Y’all tripping I thought br had a good post.

bp you flip flop between carr also I think we all do except Frankie Lolol carr could blow chunks vs the jets and Frankie will be like meh 

100 percent not true.  If Carr stinks it up I will admit I was wrong, although I have stood by the fact that his lack of supporting cast is what has caused average fans to think Carr is the problem.  Clearly Mayock and Gruden think the same way I do as I have called our WR corp absolute trash while many of you have defended them on here.  Guess what all of thise bums will be unemployed after the roster cut down and I will love it and say I was right again. 

Carr is not the problem and I think he will make huge strides forward with some competent surrounding talent and an improved D.  

This is Carr's time to shine and no more excuses.  I think he plays back to pro bowl form and shows what type of competitor he really is this year now that he has some talent to work with.  

All i will say is that i hope we dont have to see Mariota at all this year. His upside as a passer doesn't come close to Carr's, who you all know how i feel about. I've never been a fan of Mariota.

I doubt we will ever see 2016 MVP Carr. That's just not who he is. But if he can be a solid game manager, spread the ball around, at least threaten a defense vertically, dont make mistakes we can be successful this year. He also has to play well against actual good teams and not completely s#!t the bed against KC.

• Like 2