The QB Thread: Everything Carr, Stidham and beyond...

RaidersAreOne

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

Average depth of target

2020: Stafford (8.7), Carr (8.1), Goff (6.2)

2019: Stafford (10.6), Goff (7.7), Carr (6.6)

Stafford's average depth of target was still higher than Carr's despite his two best receiving options being Marvin Jones and TJ Hockenson. While Carr had Ruggs, Nelly (2nd in YPC) and Waller. 

Carr also had a stronger running game to lean on (14th) and was only sacked 22 times. While Stafford was sacked 38 times and had one of the worst rushing attacks in the NFL (30th). You say that Stafford's mistakes will really cost them but Carr turned the ball over more than Stafford did last season. 

You say Nelly like he's some star. He was a receiver who came in unheralded (and mocked as a meme in fairness) and benefitted from the system and working with Carr I feel and still had some very inopportune drops - though he did do well. Carr and Stafford both play in different systems and I feel you're downplaying Stafford's support and upselling Carr's.

We've seem the Gruden scheme and what it entails which had a big bearing on stats etc. Stafford has had seasons of 20, 19, 17 and 16 interceptions (though he's been better recently) and I think you're referring to strip sacks and fumbles too with Carr which is not always on the QB, quite often in fact they are blindsided so I don't think that's entirely accurate to put that solely on Carr. It isn't just interceptions when I refer to mistakes, it's taking inopportune sacks, when the interceptions occur and so on. Stafford is prone to brain fades every now and again and I feel Carr would be better in that specific situation with McVay. Do I have proof? No. Do you have proof? No. It's just a subjective thing and I do respect that you disagree, at least we're discussing it rather than calling each other names 😁😁 its a good discussion. 

If you want to say Stafford is a better QB than Carr I wouldn't raise an argument, I think a case could be made each way and they are similar in quality. I'm very interested to see how it turns out and I'll see quite a few Rams games this season so I'll have a good opportunity. 

• Like 1

On 9/10/2021 at 6:51 PM, NYRaider said:

The only downside is that this years QB class looks like one of the weakest in recent memory. Carson Strong, Desmond Ridder, and Malik Willis are all intriguing but aren't great prospects.

People round here said Lamar was hot garbage before he got drafted. I said the ravens were smart af to draft him. Gotta take a chance sometimes. 

On 9/10/2021 at 7:49 PM, MrOaktown_56 said:

Again we’ll see. I think Carr and Stafford are pretty similar as players. If we can upgrade to an elite guy or get an elite draft prospect I’m down. But easier said than done.

Stafford is going to be the MVP this season. 

2 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Thoughts after that masterclass performance? 

Oh, excellent. I really like Stafford as I've said. Love those 20 yard lasers he throws down the seam. He'll have a great year. Kupp is such an underrated receiver, bit of a rich man's Renfrow.

The playaction worked a treat and the rollouts too, that system would be perfect for Carr IMO. Similarities to our better offence performances last year like KC, very similar I thought.

Of course it's a 17 game season and it'll be fascinating seeing how he does on a good team at last. He must be thrilled to have an actual defence 😁. Really please for him.

P.S. I just learned Stafford is 8-65 versus teams with a winning record (lowest % in NFL history) 😬, what do you make of that stat?

20 hours ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

People round here said Lamar was hot garbage before he got drafted. I said the ravens were smart af to draft him. Gotta take a chance sometimes. 

He is as a passer. The Raven drafted him and build a whole team based around the college offense. They're saving grace is that they're 1 of the most talented teams in the NFL but that's because of great drafting not QB play.

2 hours ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

He is as a passer. The Raven drafted him and build a whole team based around the college offense. They're saving grace is that they're 1 of the most talented teams in the NFL but that's because of great drafting not QB play.

Lol he was the mvp and he’s still on a rookie contract lol 

we’d be a playoff team with Lamar Jackson the last 2 years

1 minute ago, Darbsk said:

Oh, excellent. I really like Stafford as I've said. Love those 20 yard lasers he throws down the seam. He'll have a great year. Kupp is such an underrated receiver, bit of a rich man's Renfrow.

The playaction worked a treat and the rollouts too, that system would be perfect for Carr IMO. Similarities to our better offence performances last year like KC, very similar I thought.

Of course it's a 17 game season and it'll be fascinating seeing how he does on a good team at last. He must be thrilled to have an actual defence 😁. Really please for him.

P.S. I just learned Stafford is 8-65 versus teams with a winning record (lowest % in NFL history) 😬, what do you make of that stat?

Kupp is underrated? He has over 2,000 receiving yards over the last two seasons, he's significantly better than Renfrow. 

Carr had 3 50+ yard TD passes in 2020, 2 in 2019, 0 in 2018, 3 in 2017, and 2 in 2016. Stafford had 2 tonight in his first game with the Rams. Goff had 2 in 2020, 1 in 2019, 2 in 2018, and 5 in 2017. Goff has had more explosive scoring plays than Carr over the last few seasons. Carr only has 2 games in his career with multiple 50+ yard TD passes and Goff only has 1. ]

Neither Carr or Goff have the ability to consistently make explosive plays down the field, Stafford does. 

He aso must be thrilled to have an elite offensive coach and and weapons around him

That's fine, he was in a terrible situation on a team with bad head coaches, bad defenses, and absolutely zero running game to lean on. 

Anyone that watched that game knows there's a realistic possibility that he wins the MVP award this year. He just had the greatest debut for a QB in their debut in NFL history. 

2 hours ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

....not with out defense. Ravens have had top defenses last several years.

7 hours ago, Darbsk said:

I would say DC and Stafford are the same tier. Stafford about to shine being with all those weapons and an offensive mastermind. We are stuck with Gruden,  his best days were in the late 90s/early 2000s..... DC has to make it work with what he has in this program.

5 hours ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

We would've been one of the worst teams in the league, not league average, if we had drafted Lamar Jackson lol. 

Our offense wasn't tailored to him, our RB depth scared nobody, our D wasn't Baltimore's, our division was tougher, and Jackson in Gruden's offense would be hilariously bad after one or two games.

• Like 1