The QB Thread: Everything Carr, Stidham and beyond...

RaidersAreOne

i was saying that this offseason would have been quite a good time to extend Carr considering how cost controlled he was for the 2021 and 2022 seasons.

would have also been a much cleaner way to clear up cap space for this offseason than continuing to restructure guys like littleton/kwit/nassib

barring a massive individual collapse his price tag is going to skyrocket... particularly as the market continues to get reset with every extension.  for those who wanted to wait it out and have him prove it, that's what the cowboys did. then dak got hurt (didnt prove it) and still got a massive deal because the market crept up

Edited by Turnobili
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Turnobili said:

i was saying that this offseason would have been quite a good time to extend Carr considering how cost controlled he was for the 2021 and 2022 seasons.

would have also been a much cleaner way to clear up cap space for this offseason than continuing to restructure guys like littleton/kwit/nassib

barring a massive individual collapse his price tag is going to skyrocket... particularly as the market continues to get reset with every extension.  for those who wanted to wait it out and have him prove it, that's what the cowboys did. then dak got hurt (didnt prove it) and still got a massive deal because the market crept up

Meh... it's not our money. And Davis has no excuses now as the cash is coming in at his new stadium. 

When he earns it, pay him and move on. 

5 hours ago, big_palooka said:

My fear is the collective egos of the staff to sit him. After trading Hudson and extending James, they will do anything they can to save face on this move.

While Nick Martin is no world beater, you can't convince me he's worse than James currently. He was a long time starter in Houston.

Yes, and the smart move is to bench him BEFORE he costs us a game. I have that feeling they're going to wait for him to make a game losing mess up before finally being pressured into a move. I'm all for giving young guys a chance but when you have an experienced vet ready to play and the high potential of him making a game changing mistake then maybe it's best for him to sit and learn for a bit.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Meh... it's not our money. And Davis has no excuses now as the cash is coming in at his new stadium. 

When he earns it, pay him and move on. 

salary cap is a thing. getting him cheaper benefits the team, not just the owner's bottom line

2 minutes ago, Turnobili said:

salary cap is a thing. getting him cheaper benefits the team, not just the owner's bottom line

I've been in the "salary cap is a myth" camp for a good while now. The best players never reach FA. The best teams draft and develop well.

5 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

I've been in the "salary cap is a myth" camp for a good while now. The best players never reach FA. The best teams draft and develop well.

you can call it a myth, but it impacts your ability to bring in free agents. i mean yes, ideally you always draft well so you continue to have contributors on cost controlled deals. but if you have a stretch where the picks dont pan out, you need to bring in established players who will cost more. but if you have more money tied up than you need to, it holds that back.

i mean everyone talks about how the saints are cap wizards, and yes, they were able to retain some of their guys like marcus williams, but they also had no way to bring in significant outside talent as their roster generally thinned.

the saints can keep kicking the can by restructuring players over and over again, but eventually you catch up to the can again. ffs marshawn lattimore's cap hit this year was reduced to 4.3 mil to help them make moves, but his cap hit next season is 27.4 mil. and yes you can continue to restructure until you hit the dead end and you are looking at 40 mil in dead money in one season

Edited by Turnobili

Just now, big_palooka said:

Do you not believe the Seahawks benefited paying Russell Wilson a rookie salary vs 30+ mil? 

Tom Brady year after year took massive discounts, so the pats could pay higher level talent. Your thought is that doesnt matter? 

When youre paying Mahommes 2 Mil a season, you dont think that is beneficial to a team compared to paying him 20+?

49 minutes ago, BackinBlack said:

Do you not believe the Seahawks benefited paying Russell Wilson a rookie salary vs 30+ mil? 

Tom Brady year after year took massive discounts, so the pats could pay higher level talent. Your thought is that doesnt matter? 

When youre paying Mahommes 2 Mil a season, you dont think that is beneficial to a team compared to paying him 20+?

I’m a firm believer in having success with qbs on rookie contracts. gonna be interesting if kc can go back to the sb paying pat all that $

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BackinBlack said:

I think it can benefit a team. I however do not think it's as big a deal as some make it out to be. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, big_palooka said:

I don't have faith in Lwood. He's a rookie, so I won't overreact but didn't care for him at Alabama and he's certainly not inspiring much confidence. 

James, I don't know if I can take a whole season of him. Nothing drives me more crazy than a professional center who can't snap the ball. Losing a down, yardage and a possible possession because your center can't do the bare minimum required is infuriating. Add to that he can't run block, pass block or see what the defense is doing I don't see how they ride all season with him (but they probably will).

He's had some rough moments but he's had some good plays too. Leatherwood is gonna be good IMO once his hand usage gets a little better. His run blocking is already getting good. James I haven't seen many positives. He's an okay pass blocker, but that's it.

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

I think it can benefit a team. I however do not think it's as big a deal as some make it out to be. 

Fair enough, I agree you win by drafting well, but those players are gone after 4 years. Have to use your money wisely.

Teams that over pay poor players continuously put themselves in a bad position. 
That wouldnt be the case if the salary cap is a myth. 

Waller and Renfrow need more money because of chemistry and then hit Carr with the Brinks truck. Edwards we might get a decent contract when possible and Ruggs will be 5th year option and maybe a tag but we should be drafting WR's and Oline knowing we can't pay everybody and Carr takes time to develop chemistry with rookies. 

So if no trade down 1st round DL because we rotate. 2nd in Oline and 3rd is weapons for Carr be RB, WR, TE or DB/LB, 4th is more Oline depth. lol

if in the playoffs trade down into 35-50 range and use picks to trade up. Go BPA especially if we have vets on 1 year or last year of their deals. 

Don't worry about Free Agency. Use that to get guys willing to want to be a part of something or last second signings where we get good deals. No FA's the first two weeks. Trade if we really need somebody and use the next drafts picks like Bears did to us with Mack.