The QB Thread: Everything Carr, Stidham and beyond...

RaidersAreOne

3 hours ago, jpaulthe1st said:

But the 49ers built that stacked roster on the back of Top 10 picks which they got from bottoming out (Bosa, Armstead, Buckner (traded him for draft capital to Colts), Mcglinchey, etc.). Getting premium talent at the top of the draft is the best way to build a stacked roster. 

Agreed, but we have some guys. Crosby, Adams, Hobbs, Waller, Jacobs. Maybe not the same stars they have but it's still a comparable starting point.  We have some talent, we just lack discipline. It's a totally buildable team without having to bottom out. I think about it this way, if we bottom out and spend 2 years obtaining key players.... by that time we will have probably lost a few of our key players, or they've aged out. Adams, Jacobs, Crosby will be on the backend of his prime.  It comes out to a net 0 gain. Gain talent but it took long enough for current talent to age out. Meh, might as well build now. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, big_palooka said:

I don't disagree with the fact this organization has failed to build the roster via the draft.

However, you're overestimating Carr. You can get to the playoffs with Carr, but Carr won't get you to the playoffs. So you're asking for a lot of things to go right in building the roster to support him. At his price tag, which of course limits what you can actually afford to do.

And even with the strong supporting cast, he's still going to be a wildly inconsistent QB who can fold in a moments notice. That won't change imo. 

Agree with this 100%. However, we're going to have to have all those roster things go right with any QB we get in order to be a superbowl competitive team. You can create a very competitive team while paying a 30-40 mil QB. Especially with the even more crazy cap increases that are coming the next 2-3 years. 15-25 million in cap space isn't an automatic disqualifier from creating a competetive team. Matter of fact if you look up the top 10 teams right now, their cap numbers are all over the place in terms of how much their paying 1-3 stars and how much is amortized evenly amongst the whole team. 

Having extra money to spend is nice, but great GM's and Coaches build great teams despite where the money goes. 

• Like 1

I’m neither a carr hater nor a carr apologist, yes those stats are pretty bad looking no doubt. But the fact that we’ve dropped 4 games this year when having a double digit lead, while meanwhile we’ve dropped 2 such games in the last 20 yrs (a parade of bad teams and records we can all agree) tells me it’s definitely NOT all Carr’s fault. Whether we move on from him or not. This year isn’t ALL on him, that’s obvious. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Devilshark69 said:

I’m neither a carr hater nor a carr apologist, yes those stats are pretty bad looking no doubt. But the fact that we’ve dropped 4 games this year when having a double digit lead, while meanwhile we’ve dropped 2 such games in the last 20 yrs (a parade of bad teams and records we can all agree) tells me it’s definitely NOT all Carr’s fault. Whether we move on from him or not. This year isn’t ALL on him, that’s obvious. 

Nothing is ever on one player. This season is a combination of:

Coaching - Letting urgency lag with a lead. Adjustments on defense.

QB - 2nd half stats mentioned above.

Defense - lack of talent and depth

Injuries - Oline, WR/TE, CB have all been hit with injuries that effected games.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, NickButera said:

Agreed, but we have some guys. Crosby, Adams, Hobbs, Waller, Jacobs. Maybe not the same stars they have but it's still a comparable starting point.  We have some talent, we just lack discipline. It's a totally buildable team without having to bottom out. I think about it this way, if we bottom out and spend 2 years obtaining key players.... by that time we will have probably lost a few of our key players, or they've aged out. Adams, Jacobs, Crosby will be on the backend of his prime.  It comes out to a net 0 gain. Gain talent but it took long enough for current talent to age out. Meh, might as well build now. 

You make some good points and I agree with your take. Trading Carr (and possibly Waller) gives us the opportunity to acquire valuable assets without bottoming out and maintaining our critical talent. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NickButera said:

Agree with this 100%. However, we're going to have to have all those roster things go right with any QB we get in order to be a superbowl competitive team. You can create a very competitive team while paying a 30-40 mil QB. Especially with the even more crazy cap increases that are coming the next 2-3 years. 15-25 million in cap space isn't an automatic disqualifier from creating a competetive team. Matter of fact if you look up the top 10 teams right now, their cap numbers are all over the place in terms of how much their paying 1-3 stars and how much is amortized evenly amongst the whole team. 

Having extra money to spend is nice, but great GM's and Coaches build great teams despite where the money goes. 

What type team do you need to assemble to actually knock KC off in the division? Can you build that with Carr? That is really my questions. 

There are 7 players eating 58% of the cap. Save Crosby and Adams who've earned it, these contracts that stick at out as problematic next year:

Carr - 35 mil

Jones - 19,400

Miller - 17,600

Refrow - 13,800

Waller - $12,600

The FO is going to need to get creative financially and hit on some picks to balance things out. The secondary, iDline, LBs and Oline all need an overhaul of talent. Lot of work to do and will be interesting to see how they navigate it

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Devilshark69 said:

This not a carrdasian but this is arguably some of the ugliest games I’ve seen from carr. The saints game was the worst. Literally watch the rams game I was wondering wth the offense was doing. 

still wondering why adams is here if we’re going to ignore him

22 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

This not a carrdasian but this is arguably some of the ugliest games I’ve seen from carr. The saints game was the worst. Literally watch the rams game I was wondering wth the offense was doing. 

still wondering why adams is here if we’re going to ignore him

You just have to trust the system, no matter how insanely stupid the system appears. 

- McDaniels Apologists Weekly

When I’m looking to assign culpability for our offensive woes (which are primarily Red Zone related), I’m more inclined to lean into the person who has a 9 year track record of failure versus the person who has a documented track record of success across multiple QB’s. If that makes me a McDaniels apologist then so be it. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

@jpaulthe1st Give me your list of QB's who are without question an upgrade over Carr. 

The @Frankie2Gunzplaybook: 

1. Defend Carr against any and all criticism by any means necessary 

2. Incessantly ask for detailed QB upgrade plans from all posters that question Carr. 

3. If said poster doesn’t take the bait then ask for a list of QB’s that are an upgrade from Carr 

4. Attack the rest of the roster to rationalize Carr’s failures at QB 

5. Attack other poster’s football knowledge while also admitting to being a casual football fan.

Edited by jpaulthe1st
  • Like 3