The QB Thread: Everything Carr, Stidham and beyond...

RaidersAreOne

https://www.si.com/nfl/raiders/the-black-hole-plus/josh-mcdaniels-dave-ziegler-tom-brady-derek-carr-mark-davis-las-vegas-raiders

Hondo came out with his article. He seems very intent on making clear his sources are sound on this and he's vetted that this is the prevalent idea coming from the team. 

Sounds as common sense as what I've heard around here. They won't get rid of Carr unless there is a clear plan in place to upgrade, and that doesn't mean rookie.  And that list of upgradable QB's is small. 

And they can't trade him unless all the stars align, the compensation is profound and it's a team Carr is willing to go to. 

• Like 6

The Raiders are not moving on from DC. McDaniels is getting a mulligan and understands his offense is difficult and there will be growing pains. DC will be better in year two with experience in the offense and hopefully a better OL and healthier team around him. The offense as a whole should be better, with less mistakes. How many times have we seen WRs run wrong routes or OL allow free runners at the QB. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Geezy said:

The Raiders are not moving on from DC. McDaniels is getting a mulligan and understands his offense is difficult and there will be growing pains. DC will be better in year two with experience in the offense and hopefully a better OL and healthier team around him. The offense as a whole should be better, with less mistakes. How many times have we seen WRs run wrong routes or OL allow free runners at the QB. 

The sentiment at the stadium was pretty much this. The irl fan base seems to lean this way anecdotally. Granted there were a few angry drunk people yelling fire everyone.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

The sentiment at the stadium was pretty much this. The irl fan base seems to lean this way anecdotally. Granted there were a few angry drunk people yelling fire everyone.

You were at that game? Must have been a good time for half of it and then at the end.

Edited by #1RAIDER FAN
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, NickButera said:

https://www.si.com/nfl/raiders/the-black-hole-plus/josh-mcdaniels-dave-ziegler-tom-brady-derek-carr-mark-davis-las-vegas-raiders

Hondo came out with his article. He seems very intent on making clear his sources are sound on this and he's vetted that this is the prevalent idea coming from the team. 

Sounds as common sense as what I've heard around here. They won't get rid of Carr unless there is a clear plan in place to upgrade, and that doesn't mean rookie.  And that list of upgradable QB's is small. 

And they can't trade him unless all the stars align, the compensation is profound and it's a team Carr is willing to go to. 

I swear sometimes I wonder if these writers are speaking to this forum: 

So who is better than Derek Carr? A very vocal part of the fan base would say, "Anyone." That is comical and unrealistic for a coach that will get a second season, but one that cannot look like year one.

(The anonymous executive) added, "Be careful what you wish for. There are guys better than Derek Carr, no question. But that isn't an extensive list, and those guys don't come available all the time. Mark Davis gave Josh McDaniels a mulligan in year one, he won't get that in year two. McDaniels and Ziegler aren't stupid, it is hard but not impossible to get better than Derek, but you can't jump to just please fans, or next year you are done.

• Like 6

What to do with Carr Will determine if McDaniels is here for 2 years or 4-5 years. Sticking with Carr could very well be the cause of his firing and I first believe McDaniels knows that. First year you can say yeah we wanted to see what he can do in the system and now we want to move on. Wash your hands clean. Stick with Carr and we’re having another mid season McDaniels can’t survive that because you married yourself to Carr. 

The decision with Carr should come rather quick cause I think his contract has some things in it where if he’s on the team on a certain date the Raiders gotta pay him some money. I do think they can get a 2nd and maybe a 3rd. 

I been a firm believer in that the Raiders would move on from Carr IF Brady announces he will return for another year. Trade Carr use that draft capital to draft a QB who can take over in a year which buys McDaniels more time and shows Mark that they have a long term plan after the 23 season. Invest in a RG and RT and throw all the money on the defense. Brady is know to take very friendly deals then restructure a couple of contracts(Max, Adams, Miller) create about 70 million in cap before the cap even goes up and hope the Raiders have actual money to invest in FAs who want up front money

Think that gives McDaniels time with the future after the 23 season but also shows a willingness to win next season. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

What to do with Carr Will determine if McDaniels is here for 2 years or 4-5 years. Sticking with Carr could very well be the cause of his firing and I first believe McDaniels knows that. First year you can say yeah we wanted to see what he can do in the system and now we want to move on. Wash your hands clean. Stick with Carr and we’re having another mid season McDaniels can’t survive that because you married yourself to Carr. 

The decision with Carr should come rather quick cause I think his contract has some things in it where if he’s on the team on a certain date the Raiders gotta pay him some money. I do think they can get a 2nd and maybe a 3rd. 

I been a firm believer in that the Raiders would move on from Carr IF Brady announces he will return for another year. Trade Carr use that draft capital to draft a QB who can take over in a year which buys McDaniels more time and shows Mark that they have a long term plan after the 23 season. Invest in a RG and RT and throw all the money on the defense. Brady is know to take very friendly deals then restructure a couple of contracts(Max, Adams, Miller) create about 70 million in cap before the cap even goes up and hope the Raiders have actual money to invest in FAs who want up front money

Think that gives McDaniels time with the future after the 23 season but also shows a willingness to win next season. 

This is the only part I disagree on.  Moving away from Carr is more likely to cost Josh his job than sticking with him.  Even if Carr is middle of the road again next year, Josh probably makes it to year 3. 

If they take the risk on Brady(or any other vet) and a rookie combo, the odds are we have a worse record next year. The argument could be made that Brady and Carr are the same QB at this point, accept for age and history, which won't matter too much next year.

Maybe that's what we need to do.  However, if you go that route you are doing so full knowing that you are completely blowing this thing up, outside of that small chance that all the stars align.

15 hours ago, NickButera said:

Carr can easily ask to have his whole contract guaranteed as a condition to be traded

15 hours ago, NickButera said:

I’m starting to think that Mark Davis is forcing Carr upon his regimes.

This is all speculation but say if it is true, we will be in the same position next season. Fighting to be in the last slot of the playoffs needing help.

McDaniels/Ziegler fate will fall with the other regimes who tried to build upon Carr. He’s too inconsistent to rise above KC who just win their 7th straight AFC West title.  

Edited by bucksavage1
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, true2form said:

This is the only part I disagree on.  Moving away from Carr is more likely to cost Josh his job than sticking with him.  Even if Carr is middle of the road again next year, Josh probably makes it to year 3. 

If they take the risk on Brady(or any other vet) and a rookie combo, the odds are we have a worse record next year. The argument could be made that Brady and Carr are the same QB at this point, accept for age and history, which won't matter too much next year.

Maybe that's what we need to do.  However, if you go that route you are doing so full knowing that you are completely blowing this thing up, outside of that small chance that all the stars align.

If the Raiders get Brady he'll get killed behind this line. I saw 5-6 games and Carr by far had the most pressure.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

If the Raiders get Brady he'll get killed behind this line. I saw 5-6 games and Carr by far had the most pressure.

I’d imagine there will be significant o-line upgrades next season here with cap savings from Carr’s contact if he is traded

4 minutes ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

Exactly, you think a 46 year old with zero mobility wants to spend his last years behind this OL.