The QB Thread: Everything Carr, Stidham and beyond...

RaidersAreOne

16 hours ago, NickButera said:

https://www.si.com/nfl/raiders/the-black-hole-plus/josh-mcdaniels-dave-ziegler-tom-brady-derek-carr-mark-davis-las-vegas-raiders

Hondo came out with his article. He seems very intent on making clear his sources are sound on this and he's vetted that this is the prevalent idea coming from the team. 

Sounds as common sense as what I've heard around here. They won't get rid of Carr unless there is a clear plan in place to upgrade, and that doesn't mean rookie.  And that list of upgradable QB's is small. 

And they can't trade him unless all the stars align, the compensation is profound and it's a team Carr is willing to go to. 

Thanks for posting that, interesting article. It kind of aligns with what most moderate posters here think, Carr is not elite and if you get a shot at one of those guys then sure, absolutely take it, but he’s also far from the biggest issue here and you can win with him. Makes sense that a new regime wouldn’t put all their career eggs in the rookie basket too. Though I must say if a guy falls to us in the draft and you think he’s a potential elite QB you take him no question and work it out from there.

• Like 4

Derek Carr right now is a better QB than Tom Brady right now. The old man is done and washed, and this season is proving it. Exchanging Derek for Tom would be dumber than taking Ferrel at #4. Only an idiot or a Broncos/Chargers/Chiefs fan (but I repeat myself) would want to see that happen.

@NickButera is right: That article could have been written at this forum directly. People who actually know football realize that two things can be true simultaneously:

1. Derek Carr isn’t elite.

2. Derek Carr isn’t the problem.

For once in his career, give Carr a d@mn defense already.

Edited by IdigtheRaiders!
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, bucksavage1 said:

What can go wrong that hasn’t with Carr? Another 7-8 win season?

If this is your logic, you're asking for McDaniels to get fired. Depite Carr being hot and cold this year, he is 7th in touchdowns and the offense is around 10th in points with a mediocre at best OL, Carr having serious growing pains in the offense, and us employing Keelan Cole/Mack Hollins as primary targets for the majority of the season. Logically, if Waller/Renfrow play, in year 2 there's no reason to think the offense can't push for top 5, especially if Carr is more comfortable in year 2 and the OL improves.

Even though I'm not a huge Patrick Graham fan, the defense has also played a lot better with questionable talent. I'm with @big_palooka. Stay the course.

Of course, if you can land an elite qb prospect/somehow get a top qb in the league (very unlikely), it's not a bad option. But I can see a feasible scenario where we are pretty damn good next year purely based on continuity/competent front office work. 

If you blow it up with some career backup next year, you'll alienate all the talented vets on the roster and trigger yet another rebuild for no reason, when in reality we just need a slight retooling to strengthen a roster depleted of depth but definitely not lacking in star talent.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, IdigtheRaiders! said:

Derek Carr right now is a better QB than Tom Brady right now. The old man is done and washed, and this season is proving it. Exchanging Derek for Tom would be dumber than taking Ferrel at #4. Only an idiot or a Broncos/Chargers/Chiefs fan (but I repeat myself) would want to see that happen.

I’m always very nervous proclaiming Brady is washed as he’s proved me wrong before 😁 but watching him against the Bengals and a couple other games this season his demeanour seems off. He’s making basic mistakes and committing errors he just never would. Sure, his stats don’t look bad but he’s looking like the end is nigh to me. I think if he stays next year he needs a very good team to marshall, he’s not going to take a team by the scruff of the neck anymore and drag them into contention. I wouldn’t want to be the ones to see his demise close up.

40 minutes ago, IdigtheRaiders! said:

@NickButera is right: That article could have been written at this forum directly. People who actually know football realize that two things can be true simultaneously:

1. Derek Carr isn’t elite.

2. Derek Carr isn’t the problem.

For once in his career, give Carr a d@mn defense already.

Is a top defense gonna stop carr from throwing those pick 6’s?

carr needs to stop helping the other teams defense 

20 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Is a top defense gonna stop carr from throwing those pick 6’s?

carr needs to stop helping the other teams defense 

That was not on the qb. It was a predesigned play. Dugger somehow knew the play before the ball was even snapped. Unless you're telling him to not throw it to Adams when McDaniels has designed it that way, idk what he's supposed to do there. It's not a defense of Carr. I just think it was an incredible defensive play and Dugger knew the call.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

That was not on the qb. It was a predesigned play. Dugger somehow knew the play before the ball was even snapped. Unless you're telling him to not throw it to Adams when McDaniels has designed it that way, idk what he's supposed to do there. It's not a defense of Carr. I just think it was an incredible defensive play and Dugger knew the call.

Blame whoever you want but those help the other teams defense. 

2 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Blame whoever you want but those help the other teams defense. 

I'm not disagreeing with that at all. The offense threw the defense under the bus, especially in the 2nd half.

But in no way is that on the qb. Blame McDaniels for that for Dugger having the playbook 😂

Play wise I think you could make the argument that they’re the same. I can also can make the argument that Tom Brady has not invested himself to football this year and could very well be the reason why we’re seeing the play from him. 

One thing is not the same and that is the pay. Derek Carr cap number is 34 million. Tom Brady cap number the past 2 years 10.5 million and 11.8 million. Been notorious for keeping his cap number low then a signing bonus to bump it up about 10 million. 

While the play maybe the same. One offers way more cap flexibility to be aggressive in FA then the other 

Edited by agarcia34