The QB Thread: Everything Carr, Stidham and beyond...

RaidersAreOne

5 hours ago, big_palooka said:

So they are not going to improve the Oline? Saying X will happen next year based off the roster seems redundant. 

The goal will be. to upgrade the roster and protection, that is pretty clear regardless of QB.

Let’s hope they address it before the 3rd round this time around. 

56 minutes ago, Geezy said:

Let’s hope they address it before the 3rd round this time around. 

I mean they didn't have a 1st or 2nd. Most of the free agents people wanted sign are still either still unsigned or not playing well. Revamp the wr group, the oline group and the defense in one offseason with a team with so much wasted draft capital is kinda impossible. They got two oline that look like starters or at least one starter and one solid depth piece.

I think they add two more olineman this year. Either free agency or draft. But I don't think earlier in draft with the defensive needs. So it might not be until the 3rd again. A round you can get a good guard in. 

Edited by dante9876
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, dante9876 said:

I mean they didn't have a 1st or 2nd. Most of the free agents people wanted sign are still either still unsigned or not playing well. Revamp the wr group, the oline group and the defense in one offseason with a team with so much wasted draft capital is kinda impossible. They got two oline that look like starters or at least one starter and one solid depth piece.

I think they add two more olineman this year. Either free agency or draft. But I don't think earlier in draft with the defensive needs. So it might not be until the 3rd again. A round you can get a good guard in. 

That was their choice to trade away those picks. Good teams build through the trenches. 

6 minutes ago, Geezy said:

That was their choice to trade away those picks. Good teams build through the trenches. 

Now good teams build through the trenches. You sure wasn't saying that in the Adams trade thread. You didn't care about those picks. You was celebrating hard and apologizing  to Zeigler. But now it was their choice to trade those picks. Lolol. Yall wild. 

Edited by dante9876
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, dante9876 said:

Now good teams build through the trenches. You sure wasn't saying that in the Adams trade thread. You didn't care about those picks. You was celebrating hard and apologizing  to Zeigler. But now it was their choice to trade those picks. Lolol. Yall wild. 

So the draft is the only way to build the OL? I loved the Adams trade, but if that’s what you’re going to do there still has to be a plan in place to address you’re weakest link. They ran it back then ended up cutting 3 guys they decided to keep. They kept 20 mil on ice for what? Wild 

11 minutes ago, Geezy said:

So the draft is the only way to build the OL? I loved the Adams trade, but if that’s what you’re going to do there still has to be a plan in place to address you’re weakest link. They ran it back then ended up cutting 3 guys they decided to keep. They kept 20 mil on ice for what? Wild 

Good news is the rookies have shown promise, we can easily upgrade this year and Ziegler has hit on good OL even late (e.g. Onwenu)

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:
32 minutes ago, Geezy said:

Good news is the rookies have shown promise, we can easily upgrade this year and Ziegler has hit on good OL even late (e.g. Onwenu)

I do have quite a lot of belief in this FO to draft to an acceptable level and think we can solidify the OLine to at least league average level with maybe a FA addition and a mid round pick or two. I like their two rookies there, as was mentioned above, if we get one starter and one backup from Munford and Parham that will be a win for sure.

• Like 2

It's basic resource allocation. You have to trade for a Davante Adams, or hope you draft a once every 10 years type of guy like him or Jefferson. Decent OL can be found all over the draft, especially if you have an eye for it. Hence you trade for/target stars and build cheap depth around them. We'll see that this year, especially with all the mid/late round picks we loaded up on.

• Like 2

The thing is the oline has been improving this year. You can't have the offense and run game we have with an oline as awful as people like to say. People seem to forget we was down two interior olinemen this game. You can almost do that to any team in the league and the Line will look like dog crap. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dante9876 said:

The thing is the oline has been improving this year. You can't have the offense and run game we have with an oline as awful as people like to say. People seem to forget we was down two interior olinemen this game. You can almost do that to any team in the league and the Line will look like dog crap. 

For the most part, Bricilio and the staff have done way better than Cable. The OL isn't good, but it's still serviceable-ish. Brandon thorn, the OL guru had this as the biggest OL/DL mismatch of the week and we fared pretty well.

9 hours ago, big_palooka said:

So they are not going to improve the Oline? Saying X will happen next year based off the roster seems redundant. 

The goal will be. to upgrade the roster and protection, that is pretty clear regardless of QB.

How??? I could be wrong but if they cut Carr his dead money is 17 million and then add 45 million for Brady, thats 62 million for the QB position. Do you think there's going to money for RT, RG and LG??

1 hour ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

It's basic resource allocation. You have to trade for a Davante Adams, or hope you draft a once every 10 years type of guy like him or Jefferson. Decent OL can be found all over the draft, especially if you have an eye for it. Hence you trade for/target stars and build cheap depth around them. We'll see that this year, especially with all the mid/late round picks we loaded up on.

If you use the star player correctly.

3 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

I'd double down on this and say you have to trade for them when they're actually available, too. Pull the trigger, or they're locked up elsewhere. 

Adams has been worth it overall. Build the rest 2023/2024. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

This is a very good point, about resource allocation. It’s why I seldom like to pick OG, off ball LB, SS or RB that high. There are usually bargains to be had there in rounds 3 to 5. I feel they have to be truly elite players at those positions to be picked in the first round.

If we’re after some interior linemen then maybe the place to look is in those rounds where we have acquired the ammunition.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

How??? I could be wrong but if they cut Carr his dead money is 17 million and then add 45 million for Brady, thats 62 million for the QB position. Do you think there's going to money for RT, RG and LG??

Carr barely has any dead money if we cut him by the second week after the Superbowl. (I think 2 mil?) We have an out every year in his contract for practically nothing. 

Also, Brady signs for 10-20 mil per year traditionally.