The QB Thread: Everything Carr, Stidham and beyond...

RaidersAreOne

On 12/12/2022 at 10:07 PM, ronjon1990 said:

Clear upgrades over Carr:

1. A short list of guys who will not be available for any reason whatsoever so they're barely worth mentioning (Mahomes, Allen, Hurts)

2. Rodgers for a year tops.

3. Brady for about 3 weeks

tops. 

4. Goff. I'd trade Carr for Goff due to Goff having a few more years left, and I really like Goff. 

The list of QBs the Carr haters would give him up for:

The list of QBs the Carr haters would give him up for but don't have the balls to be challenged on it because the arguments for doing so would be extremely weak and rely almost entirely on the unquantifiable notion of "potential" yet to be proven:

1. Lamar

2. Herbert

3. Burrow

4. Lawrence

5. Watson 

6. Some rookie that has never actually proven a single thing on an NFL field, would be a massive investment for the sake of appeasing the Carr haters, and would be more likely to set the team 3-5 years back.

The list of QBs I've seen people who just want to be rid of Carr pound the table for, but can no longer be found pounding that table as if it never happened:

1. Spencer Rattler at number 1 overall in 2022. 

2. Tua

3. Mayfield

4. Russ

5. Z Wilson

6 Sam Darnold

7. Fields

8 Murray

I’m just gonna leave this high level analysis here so that we all can enjoy a good chuckle from one of Carr’s top cheerleaders. So many laughable takes here I’m not sure where to start….

Goff and Carr over Lamar, Herbert, Burrow, Lawrence, Watson, etc. 

Awkward Jay Z GIF by Complex

Edited by jpaulthe1st
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, raidr4life said:

Yes Minshaw would because he does the little things needed to win. Carr doesn't have it upstairs.

To be fair, Minshew has a line full of Pro Bowlers and Pro Bowl alternates. I highly doubt he would succeed with our line. Not really sure many QBs in this league would

Edited by BobbyPhil1781

Who would realistically trade for Carr? I feel like the Jets would be a a serious suitor. Maybe WAS. I know a lot of people think the Colts would bite on a Carr trade, but I can’t see them passing up on a QB prospect in favor of Carr since they’re pretty much going to be picking top 5.

Edited by Justwinning

7 hours ago, jpaulthe1st said:

I’m just gonna leave this high level analysis here so that we all can enjoy a good chuckle from one of Carr’s top cheerleaders. So many laughable takes here I’m not sure where to start….

Goff and Carr over Lamar, Herbert, Burrow, Lawrence, Watson, etc. 

Awkward Jay Z GIF by Complex

Yeah, Burrow hasn’t proven himself? Lolwut. Burrow’s pocket presence is miles ahead of Carr, and he’s the NFL’s best passer with anticipation. Carr can’t throw with anticipation. Burrow also plays with guts and courage. Carr has played like a scared man since 2017. Lamar and Herbert are also clearly much better than Carr. 

Tua is also better than Carr. Tua’s Pocket Presence is far superior. Accuracy is better (although I won’t say far superior). Tua is one of the very best at throwing with anticipation. And Tua is a master of tight windows. He also is great at extending plays. Tua is a no brainer over Carr. 

Raider fans have overrated Carr so much over the years. 

6 hours ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

To be fair, Minshew has a line full of Pro Bowlers and Pro Bowl alternates. I highly doubt he would succeed with our line. Not really sure many QBs in this league would

Philly has a better line, but Raiders OLine isn't awful. They were ranked 12th in pass pro and part of the reason that breaks down is because defenses discover vulnerabilities when they see the offense become predictable or the QB shaky in the pocket. Carr is the same QB I saw get pounded by a USC defense in 2013.

16 minutes ago, RaiderX said:

Philly has a better line, but Raiders OLine isn't awful. They were ranked 12th in pass pro and part of the reason that breaks down is because defenses discover vulnerabilities when they see the offense become predictable or the QB shaky in the pocket. Carr is the same QB I saw get pounded by a USC defense in 2013.

That USC game is why I wanted no part of Carr. All his flaws on full display. I said on record, we will have many 8-8 seasons with Carr. Good defenses will shut him down with ease. Carr doesn’t have it upstairs when the play is ongoing. He’s good presnap, but one of the worst QB’s mentally after the snap. Always has been. If his predictions of the defense are not accurate (like playing a good disguising defense), Carr will be lost the entire game. His presnap assumption HAS to be correct, or the play is over before it is even started. He does not mentally process fast enough to go through multiple reads if his presnap assumption is false. He also panics and has always had crazy anxiety once the ball is snapped, been like that since college. Very timid player if his presnap assumption of the defense is inaccurate. 

Edited by BayRaider

7 hours ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Idk man someone who is not a statue with some pocket awareness and out of the pocket playmaking ability and throws with anticipation could help the OL a little.

Edited by raidr4life
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BayRaider said:

Yeah, Burrow hasn’t proven himself? Lolwut. Burrow’s pocket presence is miles ahead of Carr, and he’s the NFL’s best passer with anticipation. Carr can’t throw with anticipation. Burrow also plays with guts and courage. Carr has played like a scared man since 2017. Lamar and Herbert are also clearly much better than Carr. 

Tua is also better than Carr. Tua’s Pocket Presence is far superior. Accuracy is better (although I won’t say far superior). Tua is one of the very best at throwing with anticipation. And Tua is a master of tight windows. He also is great at extending plays. Tua is a no brainer over Carr. 

Raider fans have overrated Carr so much over the years. 

Carr has had the benefit of being the starter for 9 years when people say he has all the Raider record, but Gannons numbers decimate Carr if you estimate them over a 9 year period.

26 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Can't believe this still. Everything else was whatever but this was just too much

He barely ever sets his feet anymore. But he is a nice guy so nobody calls him out on it.  His inaccurate passes can mostly be contribute to bad footwork mechanics. 

• Like 1

The trouble with Carr is he is a good QB but he’s not $40 million good. Maybe it was a shrewd bit of business by Ziegler to pay him then put the ball in Carr’s court to go out and earn it.

I’ve always liked Carr, that is no secret, but he simply isn’t worth the money we’re paying him right now, he’s not playing at a level commensurate with his cap hit. If we’re paying him what we’re scheduled to pay him moving forward, we need 2016 Carr or he’s playing himself off the team. 

He played himself off in this last game IMO, all the front office needed was a reason, and they have it. I’ve tried to get behind OUR STARTING QB, not Derek Carr personally. I’ve mentioned his flaws several times since 2018. I tried, but I’ve been done most of this year. Not gonna throw disparaging comments like some, but I will say it’s time to move on. No to Brady please, gimme minshew on a prove it/stop gap basis. He plays well great, meanwhile draft a qb maybe this year, or build up assets and go after Caleb Williams. 

• Like 1