The QB Thread: Everything Carr, Stidham and beyond...

RaidersAreOne

4 hours ago, Nightmare said:

I’m not sure what you mean by this.

The Buccaneers have been a mess this year, not too dissimilar to the Raiders, and Brady has clearly finally started to regress. That said, even a reduced-ability Tom Brady isn’t particularly worse than Carr at this point, he still has that elite mentality (which Carr doesn’t).

We obviously have to explore the options, but right now if you told me the choice was Brady over Carr next season I’d be fine with it as a stopgap.

I mean exactly what you said. He's regressing. He's on a far better team and basically playing like Carr does. Why would you want that? He's just as expensive also

4 hours ago, Ryno said:

I don't think people assume it's a surefire bet with our draft history... An earlier pick just means they have more options and can potentially pick a player they have rated higher on their board. If one win takes them from their no.2 QB to their no.3 QB then that's potentially a big deal

The notion here, from what I've been seeing all year, is that it's a sure thing. My main focus though is the overreaction of saying it's a "disaster" if we win another game and are picking a few spots lower

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

I can take or leave Graham. But I'm not going to judge a coach when they have no talent, depth and have dealt with injuries to coach. And the defense has progressed the back half of the season with lesser talents being thrust into starting roles.

Well, you're right about this much- he has no talent. Shown it everywhere he's gone. 

1 hour ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

I mean exactly what you said. He's regressing. He's on a far better team and basically playing like Carr does. Why would you want that? He's just as expensive also

Is he more expensive ? I’m looking at his current deal 15 mil sounds like  a bargain. I’m not saying he’s the only choice problem is he moves worse than Carr does in the pocket at 45 years old.

I'm not sure the Bucs are a far better team right now. They have a losing record in an awful division and have been playing some terrible games this year. Some of that is on Brady - definitely not all of it.

We've had 9 years of Carr to see what he is or isn't. Right now I'd be interested to see how some of our guys would do with an elite mentality guy like Brady under center who would demand better. Worth noting that Brady also has a previous link with our HC where they had a lot of success. Brady should never be the long term option, but it should be clear by now that Carr isn't that either.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SimonGruber said:

Is he more expensive ? I’m looking at his current deal 15 mil sounds like  a bargain. I’m not saying he’s the only choice problem is he moves worse than Carr does in the pocket at 45 years old.

He doesn’t have a super model wife anymore to offset the money. Heck he might owe alimony. Plus he is regressing and when QBs regress they fall off a cliff completely. It happened to Farve and the Vikings and it happened to Peyton and the Broncos. 

• Like 1

You’re right, but the problem is you said this exact thing in 2020 which is laughable. 

• Like 1

I don’t think Carr wants to be traded to another team. I think when the Raiders are done with him he’s going to be done with football. He’s a big time family man, I don’t think he wants to move his family to another state so soon. His faith is pretty important to he’s very active in his church(mods I’m not trying to promote religious talk) and I think he wants to be a pastor. He’s made over 100 million in the NFL, the dude doesn’t need the money. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Chali21 said:

I don’t think Carr wants to be traded to another team. I think when the Raiders are done with him he’s going to be done with football. He’s a big time family man, I don’t think he wants to move his family to another state so soon. His faith is pretty important to he’s very active in his church(mods I’m not trying to promote religious talk) and I think he wants to be a pastor. He’s made over 100 million in the NFL, the dude doesn’t need the money. 

I really want to see him in another situation if only to see the fallout from what happens lol 

3 hours ago, big_palooka said:

I can take or leave Graham. But I'm not going to judge a coach when they have no talent, depth and have dealt with injuries to coach. And the defense has progressed the back half of the season with lesser talents being thrust into starting roles.

I agree with you on a lot of points, however, I must say that I don’t believe the defence is as talent-less as it’s being made out to be. Are we blessed with numerous Pro Bowl talents? No, but we do have an All Pro candidate at DE in Crosby, Chandler Jones who’s been Pro Bowl calibre for the last 7 or 8 years (maybe his down turn is Father Time, maybe scheme and coaching related), Perryman is simply a good MLB and leader, Harmon is a very experienced, good safety and general back there, Moehrig is not talentless though he’s not broken out yet, Ya Sin and Hobbs are both good players though not stars, and we have Billings who I think is good and had Hankins who is also good. We do lack at areas like DB depth, pass rushing DT and outside LBs but it’s not the complete talent vacuum that is sometimes alluded to.

1 hour ago, Chali21 said:

Same time, he's a competitor and may not want to go out this way. 

But the constant negativity around him maybe he decides it's not worth it any longer. 

28 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

I agree with you on a lot of points, however, I must say that I don’t believe the defence is as talent-less as it’s being made out to be. Are we blessed with numerous Pro Bowl talents? No, but we do have an All Pro candidate at DE in Crosby, Chandler Jones who’s been Pro Bowl calibre for the last 7 or 8 years (maybe his down turn is Father Time, maybe scheme and coaching related), Perryman is simply a good MLB and leader, Harmon is a very experienced, good safety and general back there, Moehrig is not talentless though he’s not broken out yet, Ya Sin and Hobbs are both good players though not stars, and we have Billings who I think is good and had Hankins who is also good. We do lack at areas like DB depth, pass rushing DT and outside LBs but it’s not the complete talent vacuum that is sometimes alluded to.

I disagree. I think you have Crosby and the rest a just guys or worse. The secondary, especially at safety is slow. Same with the LB, they are slow and cannot cover consistently. 

I think they've progressed, but they need better talent on all 3 levels of the defense before they are going to round into anything worthwhile. 

12 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Except that year in New York when his defense ranked 9th overall and produced career years for several players. 

Ah yes the COVID year where he took over someone else's defense before running it into the ground. 

He's Jon Gruden in that regard- give him someone else's cast, he can ride a gravy train. 

I guess if we only focus on a lone good year, Graham is a great DC and Peyton Hillis is a HoF pace RB and Nick Foles is arguably the greatest QB to ever grace a football field. 

Looks like most people are ready for a lateral move at best next year.  I have a tough time choosing any lateral move.  An extra 1st round pick and say 10-20 mil cap savings would help though.

Carr hasn't made it easy on me this year, but I still think our best chance at success next year, is with him as our QB.

If we are throwing in the towel on next year already, then that's a different approach and I'd be ok with that. Not sure how the team will react to it though. Any of the choices to replace Carr do not signal we are shooting for even the playoffs next year, Brady included.