The QB Thread: Everything Carr, Stidham and beyond...

RaidersAreOne

22 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

I think people forgot what it's like to have to be QBless which is basically what we had been between the 2002 Super Bowl and Derek Carr(the reason why I don't even mention Carson Palmer is because we only had them for a year and a half). Was Derek Carr an elite top five quarterback? No.  It's the but we can be chasing a long-term solution a quarterback for the next 10 years because of a decision that was made by people who are probably gonna get fired next year. 

Even if we're able to draft a quarterback who I am actually one of the people who like Will Levis(Cool we probably won't be able to pick because of our draft position) he'll be playing under a questionable play caller who is most likely gonna get fired next year if the results arent early, no oline & no defense. Most likely Davante Adams is going to want to leave. I can also see Josh McDaniels moving on from Darren Waller and doing something stupid like rolling with Foster Moreau instead. That potentially leaves Renfrow. This is a bad free-agent class for weapons so you're not gonna find a replacement if they do end up getting moved. This puts a young quarterback in a messed up situation. 

Sure there's always the option of Jimmy Garoppolo(Who let's not kid ourselves it's more likely that it's going to be Garoppolo than it is going to be Brady), we're about to find out what happens when a quarterback who has been given Silver spoon coaching and silver spoon supporting cast on both sides of the ball goes to a dysfunctional franchise with no Oline. There's been all this talk about Jimmy Garoppolo is better than car or car is not that good we're gonna see what it looks like when another quarterback is in here with that guy be able to thrive in the environment that Carr has played in his whole career.

On the flipside of this Carr is going to have options there are a lot of good teams that the missing piece is a quarterback so it'll be very interesting to see what he does. 

You are spot on.  I remember all too well the years between Gannon and Carr and they were horrifying.  Year after year we threw absolute trash out there at QB and that QB trash was surrounded with trash talent and trash coaches,.  We were without question one of the three worst teams in the NFL during those span of years.  

I agree that Adams will most likely be gone, I assume Jacobs will be franchise tagged and Waller who knows.  It would be ideal to move him if we are going full rebuild.  

Jimmy G will wilt behind this Oline and will be terrible.  He has played in some great systems that have great Olines and elite D's which is why he has looked serviceable.  I would venture to say that the top stop gap QB's wont want to come here and play for all of the reasons mentioned above. There will be teams that need a QB that are in much better situations than we are.  Indy, Jets, Washington are just a few off the top of my head.  

As for Carr I would love to see him end up on the 49ers or the Jets.

22 minutes ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

You are spot on.  I remember all too well the years between Gannon and Carr and they were horrifying.  Year after year we threw absolute trash out there at QB and that QB trash was surrounded with trash talent and trash coaches,.  We were without question one of the three worst teams in the NFL during those span of years.  

I agree that Adams will most likely be gone, I assume Jacobs will be franchise tagged and Waller who knows.  It would be ideal to move him if we are going full rebuild.  

Jimmy G will wilt behind this Oline and will be terrible.  He has played in some great systems that have great Olines and elite D's which is why he has looked serviceable.  I would venture to say that the top stop gap QB's wont want to come here and play for all of the reasons mentioned above. There will be teams that need a QB that are in much better situations than we are.  Indy, Jets, Washington are just a few off the top of my head.  

Carr was about the same as Carson Palmer for us in terms of performance. You and some others are over here acting like we are parting company with a Hall of Fame level talent. 

As a reminder, Carr is a turnover prone, between the 20’s QB, that can’t score TD’s in the Red Zone, can’t play in cold weather, and can’t produce when the lights are on. Stop romanticizing a slightly above average game manager who is living off one outlier borderline elite season that happened when Obama was still in office. 

Edited by jpaulthe1st
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

Don't forget one of the best play callers in the game currently(a real offensive mastermind) who right now has the last pic in this year's draft starting for him and not missing a beat. 

The funny thing is if I'm Jimmy Garoppolo I'm going to the Jets rather than here

If I'm Carr I'm going to Washington

5 hours ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

Blow over LOL

What free agent worth anything would want to sign with this disaster of an organization?  We have been the laughing stock of the NFL for over 20 years, with terrible FA signings, terrible drafting, an idiot owner and another HC that clearly has little respect from his players.  This organization has been and currently is the worst ran organization in the NFL.  It is truly remarkable how incompetent our front office has been. 

We will have no QB, a stud WR who won't want to pay his remaining years with a stopgap bum that can't get him the ball, on a team that is rebuilding, a RB and TE who have expressed their concern with the move, a pathetic D by nearly every metric measurable.  We lack talent and depth across the board.  How do you think this dumpster fire of an organization can attract talent? 

DZ needs to nail nearly all of his draft picks, that is the only way we can get out of the doldrums of the NFL swamp.  Free agents wont sign here unless we massively overpay.  Who on earth would want to join an organization that hasn't won **** in over two decades and shows little to no sign of competency moving forward.  Losing is not fun and the Raiders are a loser of an organization.  This will be a rough few years unless our front office drafts well and can find an elite signal caller because all of the cast off bum QB's mentions wont attract jack **** in terms of talent wanting to play here. 

We should be an attractive destination for a QB and a rookie QB. The offense has a lot of skill positions in place. A few improvements on the o-line will help more

some of you guys are acting like the sky is falling and we’re doomed to win 4 games instead of 6. This is great news. We are in a position to improve the team with more talent across the team. There’s also a high possibility we will be able to score more with the right QB

Carr sucked this year which costs us a lot of wins

1 hour ago, Jeremy408 said:

Don't forget one of the best play callers in the game currently(a real offensive mastermind) who right now has the last pic in this year's draft starting for him and not missing a beat. 

The funny thing is if I'm Jimmy Garoppolo I'm going to the Jets rather than here

If I'm Carr I'm going to Washington

Kyle Shanahan is without question one of the best coaches and the 49ers are one of the best managed organizations in the NFL.  They have a stellar front office that drafts well and gets value from their free agent signings.  As much as I hate the 9ers they are one of the top organizations in the NFL.

I could see Carr land with the Jets or Wash.  Both teams have above average D's and some weapons on O. I think Indy would be a top landing spot based on talent with they only caveat being who they hire as a head coach.  If Indy can land a solid HC those three teams will land the best landing spots for Carr.  Miami and Tampa could be looking for a QB depending on what happens with Brady and Tua and both of those spots would be good situations for Carr as well  

Edited by Frankie2Gunz

17 minutes ago, bucksavage1 said:

some of you guys are acting like the sky is falling and we’re doomed to win 4 games instead of 6. This is great news. We are in a position to improve the team with more talent across the team. There’s also a high possibility we will be able to score more with the right QB

Carr sucked this year which costs us a lot of wins

Explain to me exactly how the math works that we will be able to improve talent across the roster now that Carr is gone? 

Because a new starting QB is going to cost 20 mil ish. That leaves maybe 13 mil in extra money. Unless we have to cut him and eat 6 mil. That means we have maybe 7 mil in extra money. And that's going to enable us to improve the roster "across the board"?

And that's not assuming we also as a result draft a rookie QB high for a long term replacement, which could cost us maybe 4-9 mil give or take. If anything Carr's salary savings will mostly be dumped.into replacements, as we're most likely signing a quality veteran and also drafting a long term replacement. It's fallacy to think we're dumping most of his salary into the roster and signing a scrub or starting a rookie. 

• Like 2

I swear some people on here have developed Stockholm Syndrome for Carr and need therapy. I held on as long as I could but it’s time, will he move on and finally turn a corner and become the qb ppl say he is or find the team that has the def, OL, coach, playmakers, front office he needs to succeed- maybe. I have reservations but it’s possible, I just think it’s time the Raiders go in new direction.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Chali21 said:

Okay let’s say the raiders cut Carr where’s that 40 million going? Their free agents last year left a lot to be desired. The best players have already been locked up other than Jones. Who is going in free agency that’s worth breaking the bank on?

Sign Brady, improve the offensive line, add depth across the defense. We’d have like 70M to spend if we cut Carr. 

5 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Sign Brady, improve the offensive line, add depth across the defense. We’d have like 70M to spend if we cut Carr. 

I’d be happy with baker or jimmy too. There are options ppl acting like Carr only qb that could make the handful of good throws he made. Build trenches you can turn it around fairly quickly in the nfl unless you are afraid to let ppl loose that need let loose 

35 minutes ago, Raiderlife24 said:

I’d be happy with baker or jimmy too. There are options ppl acting like Carr only qb that could make the handful of good throws he made. Build trenches you can turn it around fairly quickly in the nfl unless you are afraid to let ppl loose that need let loose 

Baker has a few good games under McVey and all of a sudden you forget the rest of his career where he was a massive bust.  If he comes to Vegas he will look like the bum that was benched for PJ Walker and shortly thereafter released.  Baker is straight up garbage. 

15 minutes ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

Baker has a few good games under McVey and all of a sudden you forget the rest of his career where he was a massive bust.  If he comes to Vegas he will look like the bum that was benched for PJ Walker and shortly thereafter released.  Baker is straight up garbage. 

The guy who out played Carr after being with his team for a day … As a bridge guy if nothing else why not? He won’t command 40 mil and may fit scheme better than Carr, has better pocket presence and mobility, is younger. We don’t have to keep every qb for 10 years Frankie if he doesn’t work out.