The QB Thread: Everything Carr, Stidham and beyond...

RaidersAreOne

27 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

With no offensive line or RB.  He would have to get the ball out in under 3 seconds almost every play.

Why can't we resign Jacobs or improve the offensive line?

If we trade Carr we'll have a ton of premium draft capital and like $70M in cap space. We've seen Brady take team friendly deals in the past and obviously guys will follow him to Vegas for a chance to win a ring. 

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

Why can't we resign Jacobs or improve the offensive line?

If we trade Carr we'll have a ton of premium draft capital and like $70M in cap space. We've seen Brady take team friendly deals in the past and obviously guys will follow him to Vegas for a chance to win a ring. 

Team friendly deal for Brady is what $30 million.  Remember he does not have his lady friends money anymore.  We would still need to invest in the defense ($?), a back up QB ($8 million), Agholor and Gronk ($15 million combined), draft picks ($13 million if we get a 1st for Carr), and we would still need a little left over for injuries ($6 million).  So that gives us $8 million and draft picks to spend on defense, RB, and o-line.  Let's say we sign two vets for $4 each that can actually start and we get 4 starters in the draft (Not likely but it could happen).  How many starters are we losing in FA and how many need to be upgraded?  If you want to ignore the defense then I hope Brady's arm can still put up 50 attempts per game.  Also we only have 31 players under contract for next year and that includes Carr so 30.

3 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

With no offensive line or RB.  He would have to get the ball out in under 3 seconds almost every play.

Why do people feel the need to post things like this as if there is not an offseason to fix problem areas? I never understand it. Saying X will be this or that next season based on Y this season makes no sense.

4 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

Team friendly deal for Brady is what $30 million.  Remember he does not have his lady friends money anymore.  We would still need to invest in the defense ($?), a back up QB ($8 million), Agholor and Gronk ($15 million combined), draft picks ($13 million if we get a 1st for Carr), and we would still need a little left over for injuries ($6 million).  So that gives us $8 million and draft picks to spend on defense, RB, and o-line.  Let's say we sign two vets for $4 each that can actually start and we get 4 starters in the draft (Not likely but it could happen).  How many starters are we losing in FA and how many need to be upgraded?  If you want to ignore the defense then I hope Brady's arm can still put up 50 attempts per game.  Also we only have 31 players under contract for next year and that includes Carr so 30.

He has a 10 year $375 million contract with Fox. I think he will be ok.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Why are people all of the sudden starting to think we draft well? We have a lot of new fans or something?

We have new scouts, GM and coaching staff. Unless Mark is picking the players, there is hope we can draft better than Gruden and Mayock

• Like 1

8 hours ago, NickButera said:

Explain to me exactly how the math works that we will be able to improve talent across the roster now that Carr is gone? 

Because a new starting QB is going to cost 20 mil ish. That leaves maybe 13 mil in extra money. Unless we have to cut him and eat 6 mil. That means we have maybe 7 mil in extra money. And that's going to enable us to improve the roster "across the board"?

And that's not assuming we also as a result draft a rookie QB high for a long term replacement, which could cost us maybe 4-9 mil give or take. If anything Carr's salary savings will mostly be dumped.into replacements, as we're most likely signing a quality veteran and also drafting a long term replacement. It's fallacy to think we're dumping most of his salary into the roster and signing a scrub or starting a rookie. 

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/las-vegas-raiders

I’m sure the professionals have ways to use his cap space

Carr contract counts 34 million next season against the cap if we were to keep. Depending who we sign there’s ways to manipulate the new signing next season. If we go with a journeyman for one season while a 1st round QB gets ready that’s 20 million + across the rest of the team for several seasons. That’s at least 2-3 quality starters. Look how the Bengals, Jaguars Dolphins and  Chargers-were all able to sign good FAs to improve their team while having a rookie QB salary player. That’s the goal we should be aiming for

5 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Tom Brady throwing to Adams, Renfrow, Agholor, Waller, and Gronk is going to be insane. 

Darren Waller can barely hold his excitement that a new QB will be playing

Renfrow gonna look like Welker

Adams will look like the best WR in the league again 

I think Gronk is officially done with football

Couple OL improvements + Anthony Richardson waiting in the wings on potential run downs …INSANE

16 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

He has a 10 year $375 million contract with Fox. I think he will be ok.

💯

Plus Brady has tons of endorsements. He’s more concerned building a team around his next destination. Wouldn’t be surprised if Brady accepted a lowball deal with a high signing bonus

5 hours ago, Darbsk said:

What about a real dark horse Aaron Rodgers? That would be an interesting dynamic 🧐 Also, that would really, really p off Denver………

Rodgers would be very very hard to trade for due to his cap situation. I think Jordan Love would be available 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, bucksavage1 said:

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/las-vegas-raiders

I’m sure the professionals have ways to use his cap space

Carr contract counts 34 million next season against the cap if we were to keep. Depending who we sign there’s ways to manipulate the new signing next season. If we go with a journeyman for one season while a 1st round QB gets ready that’s 20 million + across the rest of the team for several seasons. That’s at least 2-3 quality starters. Look how the Bengals, Jaguars Dolphins and  Chargers-were all able to sign good FAs to improve their team while having a rookie QB salary player. That’s the goal we should be aiming for

You didnt address my point though, 20+ mil for a journeyman, but then 5+ for a rookie, and IF we have to cut Carr that's another 6. That's 2 million to "spread across the roster", if not, it's 8 million. The jargon I've seen thrown around is this idea that we can improve "several parts of our roster" with the savings when Carr is gone, but the math doesn't work out that way. This is just incorrect. We may have enough to get 1 quality guy, maybe. 

IF we hit big on a rookie and find out in his year two, yes that's the goal, we can dump all other QB options and put a bit more.into the roster for a good 2-3 year window. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, agarcia34 said:

Wasn’t sure if this was posted. Think it’s brings up a lot of good information on Carr and his flaws. Also makes valid points towards Carr as well

Great video - shame we can't have these breakdowns on a weekly basis... interesting to see breakdowns on WRs not making the right calls on option routes - or it being down to the coaching/scheming

• Like 2