The QB Thread: Everything Carr, Stidham and beyond...

RaidersAreOne

4 hours ago, big_palooka said:

He has a 10 year $375 million contract with Fox. I think he will be ok.

Not if he is playing football next year.  This is actually another reason why he would need to get paid to play.  Sorry palooka but my comment was based upon someone saying he would take a team friendly deal.

4 hours ago, bucksavage1 said:

💯

Plus Brady has tons of endorsements. He’s more concerned building a team around his next destination. Wouldn’t be surprised if Brady accepted a lowball deal with a high signing bonus

Not interested in paying a player $20 over 2 years to play 1 and act like it is a deal.  Only way you do this is if you think you are a SB contender and that player puts you over the top.  For us to do it would be another case of the FO and coaches not having patience.

6 hours ago, agarcia34 said:

Wasn’t sure if this was posted. Think it’s brings up a lot of good information on Carr and his flaws. Also makes valid points towards Carr as well

Great video.  I would love to see an entire breakdown of the game.  I know there are times when Carr overcomes scheme and other player deficiencies also.  There have been a few of us on here that have pointed out Carrs feet and his unwillingness to take shots over the years.  Couple weeks I pointed out that he left to many plays on the field by not setting his feet to deliver the ball.  It may be only a few plays a game in many weeks but those tend to be the crucial plays when a defense needs a stop and we have the chance to break the teams back.  I still think Carr has all the physical tools but this video shows some longstanding issues between the ears.  I think it was around the 26:30 mark where he says to hitch up, relax, trust your pass pro, and throw a seed.  If a coach can get in Carr's head and fix that aspect of his game he is a much better QB and probably worth $40 per.  Somebody needs to tell him that he needs to stop trying to not get hit.  Just make sure when you do it is worth it.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, bucksavage1 said:

Darren Waller can barely hold his excitement that a new QB will be playing

Renfrow gonna look like Welker

Adams will look like the best WR in the league again 

I think Gronk is officially done with football

Couple OL improvements + Anthony Richardson waiting in the wings on potential run downs …INSANE

Love the optimism but that is expecting a lot from Stidham isnt it? 🤨

Edited by Darbsk
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, drfrey13 said:

Great video.  I would love to see an entire breakdown of the game.  I know there are times when Carr overcomes scheme and other player deficiencies also.  There have been a few of us on here that have pointed out Carrs feet and his unwillingness to take shots over the years.  Couple weeks I pointed out that he left to many plays on the field by not setting his feet to deliver the ball.  It may be only a few plays a game in many weeks but those tend to be the crucial plays when a defense needs a stop and we have the chance to break the teams back.  I still think Carr has all the physical tools but this video shows some longstanding issues between the ears.  I think it was around the 26:30 mark where he says to hitch up, relax, trust your pass pro, and throw a seed.  If a coach can get in Carr's head and fix that aspect of his game he is a much better QB and probably worth $40 per.  Somebody needs to tell him that he needs to stop trying to not get hit.  Just make sure when you do it is worth it.

This is who he is. He was exposed in the 2013 Las Vegas Bowl by USC and nothing has changed.

We've been saying it for years. What's stopping him from being a top 10 QB is his pocket presence and how he handles pressure. How many times have we seen him panic under pressure? How many times have we seen him fold in on himself before pressure gets home giving up the play?

He has his moments where you say okay, I like this Derek Carr. Then will fold and play small the next week. That is why I was ready to move on for awhile. Can he perform under pressure in the playoffs when everything is amped up? I have my doubts.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

This is who he is. He was exposed in the 2013 Las Vegas Bowl by USC and nothing has changed.

We've been saying it for years. What's stopping him from being a top 10 QB is his pocket presence and how he handles pressure. How many times have we seen him panic under pressure? How many times have we seen him fold in on himself before pressure gets home giving up the play?

He has his moments where you say okay, I like this Derek Carr. Then will fold and play small the next week. That is why I was ready to move on for awhile. Can he perform under pressure in the playoffs when everything is amped up? I have my doubts.

Completely agree.  It hurts to let go because of the potential but he has proven over and over again that he is not going to overcome those issues.  Really wish we would not have screwed up the o-line so badly in 2018.  That was a chance for him and the line just rebroke him after the injuries.  Just like his brother.

A good QB will run between 30-40 million. That’s the market a stop gap might run between 15-25 and a rookie will be a little less. The difference after cutting ties with Carr will be dependent on the type of QB they go with. There’s a lot of money on this roster already between Adams, Waller, Crosby, Jones and Renferow. To be honest other than Crosby and Adams those other contracts have been disappointing. Waller has miss larger amounts of time over the last 2 seasons. And Renferow’s routes have been uncharacteristically off, the biggest one being when he ran into Adams at the end of the KC game. Jones has been invisible except for one game. Honestly I think they need to reevaluate some of the other players they have under contract as well as Carr. No one wants a rebuild but man this house feels like it’s got great heating, air, solar and pool but it’s also got black mold. It’d probably be best to start from scratch. If I’m JMD I’m using Gruden as a scapegoat and nuking the roster other than Adams and Crosby. 

9 hours ago, Darbsk said:

Love the optimism but that is expecting a lot from Stidham isnt it? 🤨

💯💯

Stranger things have happened in the NFL. Who would of known Mr.Irrelevant from last years Draft has the 49ers on a win streak

Stidham is a vet who is getting a chance to start again in a system spent his entire career in. I’m very optimistic we can hang with with SF and possible upset them

22 minutes ago, bucksavage1 said:

Enough of the Carr talk. He’s gone and no longer a Raider 

- Let’s support Stidham and hopefully he can show he’s ready to be a starter in the NFL

Lol Stidham is a flat out bum.  I refuse to support incompetence and unless they draft a stud QB this is a 4ish win team next year that most likely gets JM canned.  

Why I am I not surprised your optimistic with Stidham?  The guy is a total hack LOL    

Edited by Frankie2Gunz

16 minutes ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

Lol Stidham is a flat out bum.  I refuse to support incompetence and unless they draft a stud QB this is a 4ish win team next year that most likely gets JM canned.  

Why I am I not surprised your optimistic with Stidham?  The guy is a total hack LOL    

I’m willing to let Stidham prove his worth to see if can play or not. 

The new QB deserves support instead of writing him off before his 1st start. Just like we gave #4 support before his 1st in 2014. Players come and go, it’s sports 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, bucksavage1 said:

I’m willing to let Stidham prove his worth to see if can play or not. 

The new QB deserves support instead of writing him off before his 1st start. Just like we gave #4 support before his 1st in 2014. Players come and go, it’s sports 

Agreed. I will be rooting for Stidham to play well because I am a Raiders fan, not a fan of an individual player. The Patriots spoke highly of him when they drafted him and he has some tools. Maybe he'll surprise us over the next two weeks and at worst we can be confident that we have a good backup going forward. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Agreed. I will be rooting for Stidham to play well because I am a Raiders fan, not a fan of an individual player. The Patriots spoke highly of him when they drafted him and he has some tools. Maybe he'll surprise us over the next two weeks and at worst we can be confident that we have a good backup going forward. 

💯

Who knows if Stidham can play well perhaps we don’t need to sign another stop gap QB and just draft a QB. It’s the best case scenario and we will spend the cap space across the team. 

Edited by bucksavage1

1 hour ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

We probably not winning the last 2 games if carr starts anyway. So is there really a huge difference between 4 win team and a 6 win team. Maybe depending on qb we get blown out more. But what if the defense improve. And keeps game closer. If we can get a qb to do something similar to what carr did this year while improving the defense and oline on a 3rd place schedule. I don't see a 4 win team. All we would need is avg qb play like this year. Carr was 13th in Qbr amd 25 in qb rating.

I agree with you that I don't think we getting that avg play from stidham. I do think Jimmy g, brissett, mishew, amd brady can all give us at least avg qb play next year. 

1 hour ago, bucksavage1 said:

💯

Who knows if Stidham can play well perhaps we don’t need to sign another stop gap QB and just draft a QB. It’s the best case scenario and we will spend the cap space across the team. 

Stiddy can play like Joe Montana the next two games and we still should bring in somebody to at least compete for job next year with him.  A qb competition would have both qbs playing in preseason to.