The QB Thread: Everything Carr, Stidham and beyond...

RaidersAreOne

1 hour ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

@Jeremy408 Do you see JM surviving a 4ish win season next year? 

The only way I see this happening is if we went to our moron owner, was honest with him and said next year is going to be rough. If we make this move away from Carr I need you to give me two full years to assemble the team I want without any threat of being fired.  

The odds of this are very small and I think that there is very little chance he can survive next season. 

We’ll be better in the post Carr era as long as we have a QB that doesn’t quit on the team as soon as things get tough.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

You do realize cutting Carr is really bad for the Raiders???

I fail to realize that. We suck with Carr. Anything they want to try that involves moving on from him I’m with. Believe it or not guys, Ziegler and Jmd know more about football than us

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

I agree with nearly everything you posted.  

What I have noticed about JM and his coaching style and game plan is tailored around his D being stellar.  He hasn't been able to identify that our D is amongst the leagues worst and get more aggressive with his O scheme and game plan.    

You point out multiple assumptions with the Brady scenario and that is all contingant on Brady wanting to play here which I give a zero percent chance.  A 46 year old Brady wants to win games and that is something this franchise has not been able to do for over two decades.  If he doesn't retire he will end up on a team that is ready to win now, a team that has a solid Oline, a good run game and a top tier D.  I can see Brady either retiring or heading to SF to win another ring, he certainly will not end up on a team that is not close to competing.  

What about this team would be appealing to a legend like Brady?  A history of instability in the front office, a bad HC with a proven losing record and a team that consists of very little talent and no depth.  

Agree with the McDaniels analysis, however, I don’t think this team is as hopeless and as talent devoid as portrayed. We currently have a top WR, top RB, franchise LT, great slot receiver and Waller at TE with a decent TE2. The OLine is a bit of a mess but we do have draft picks and FA to address that and Parham looks promising.

Defensively, Crosby is elite and Chandler Jones has been better as of late. We have a NT and a good MLB and leader in Perryman. I like Ya Sin and Hobbs but we do need a CB1 and another safety.

This team is not a talent desert, they went to the playoffs last year and nearly all our losses this year have been one score games that we could and probably should have won. Tom Brady is not the same player he was a few years ago, time is definitely catching up but he might see a lot of positives here and he might have just enough in the tank left to marshall a roster with a few free agents additions and some good draft picks into the playoffs…….

I do really like the plan to also draft a young signal caller who can sit and learn for a year or two behind Brady too, what better mentor could there be? I think it was @jpaulthe1st who came up with that.

Edited by Darbsk
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Are you that shook about Carr you can only type and paste? Seek mental help. 

there's no way around it lol

As a HEAD COACH...

Jon Gruden 117–112, 9 playoff Appearances, 1 superbowl 

Rich Bissacia  7-5, 1 Playoff Appearance, 0 superbowl

Josh mcdaniels 17-26, 0 playoff appearances, 0 superbowl

Edited by Jeremy408
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

Agree with the McDaniels analysis, however, I don’t think this team is as hopeless and as innate active as portrayed. We currently have a top WR, top RB, franchise LT, great slot receiver and Waller at TE with a decent TE2. The OLine is a bit of a mess but we do have draft picks and FA to address that and Parham looks promising.

Defensively, Crosby is elite and Jobes has been better as of late. We have a NT and a good MLB and leader in Perryman. I like Ya Sin and Hobbs but we do need a CB1 and another safety.

This team is not a talent desert, they went to the playoffs last year and nearly all our losses this year have been one score games that we could and probably should have won. Tom Brady is not the same player he was a few years ago, time is definitely catching up but he might see a lot of positives here and he might have just enough in the tank left to marshall a roster with a few free agents additions and some good draft picks into the playoffs…….

I do really like the plan to also draft a young signal caller who can sit and learn for a year or two behind Brady too, what better mentor could there be? I think it was @jpaulthe1st who came up with that.

This is one of the worst managed organizations and talent deficient teams in the NFL.  That is a fact.

We have a clipboard holder as our starting QB.

Jacobs is having a heck of a year but a free agent.  We may tag him but if not he will bolt.  Behind him we have nothing in terms of proven talent. 

Adams will be gone, no way he sticks around on a team destined to win 4 games that will have a stopgap bum not being able to get him the ball thus killing his stats.  Renfrow is a limited slot WR, a good one when healthy but limited in his skillset.  The rest of our WR's are trash.

Waller is going to be 31 next year and can't stay healthy.  Behind him we have nothing.

Calling Miller a franchise LT is laughable.  I am not advocating moving on from him as he is not a major liability but lets not pretend he is anything better than slightly above average.  The rest of the Oline is in shambles and all remaining players are backups and depth pieces.  

Our interior Dline is a disaster littered with backups.  We are bottom three in the NFL in sacks for a reason.  Jones is old, washed and was a horrific signing.  The rest of our edge rushers are below average depth pieces outside of Maxx. 

Our LB's are just bad.  Perryman is a two down thumper who is also a liability in the pass game.  The rest are trash.

Our Cb's are also trash and playing out of position.  Our #2 is our #1 and our slot CB is out #2.  I believe Sin has some talent and can be a serviceable #2 and Hobbs has shown competency in the slot.  Outside of that more hot trash.

Our safeties are all backups.  Mohrig has shown nothing and very well could be another Grudock bust.  All of the rest of our guys are backups at best. 

On the bright side we have a top shelf kicker and punter.  As great as that is, I find it hard to believe that Carlson and Cole will attract the talent and free agents necessary to stop the wheels from falling off this out of control dumpster fire of an organization. 

Edited by Frankie2Gunz

20 minutes ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

This is one of the worst managed organizations and talent deficient teams in the NFL.  That is a fact.

Jacobs is having a heck of a year but a free agent.  We may tag him but if not he will bolt.  Behind him we have nothing in terms of proven talent. 

Adams will be gone, no way he sticks around on a team destined to win 4 games that will have a stopgap bum not being able to get him the ball thus killing his stats.  Renfrow is a limited slot WR, a good one when healthy but limited in his skillset.  The rest of our WR's are trash.

Waller is going to be 31 next year and can't stay healthy.  Behind him we have nothing.

Calling Miller a franchise LT is laughable.  I am not advocating moving on from him as he is not a major liability but lets not pretend he is anything better than slightly above average.  The rest of the Oline is in shambles and all remaining players are backups and depth pieces.  

Our interior Dline is a disaster littered with backups.  We are bottom three in the NFL in sacks for a reason.  Jones is old, washed and was a horrific signing.  The rest of our edge rushers are below average depth pieces outside of Maxx. 

Our LB's are just bad.  Perryman is a two down thumper who is also a liability in the pass game.  The rest are trash.

Our Cb's are also trash and playing out of position.  Our #2 is our #1 and our slot CB is out #2.  I believe Sin has some talent and can be a serviceable #2 and Hobbs has shown competency in the slot.  Outside of that more hot trash.

Our safeties are all backups.  Mohrig has shown nothing and very well could be another Grudock bust.  All of the rest of our guys are backups at best. 

On the bright side we have a top shelf kicker and punter.  As great as that is, I find it hard to believe that Carlson and Cole will attract the talent and free agents necessary to stop the wheels from falling off this out of control dumpster fire of an organization. 

Ooohhh child things are gonna get easier, oooohhh child things will get brighter 

23 minutes ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

Oh dang… we should have just paid Carr the 40 mil/yr and won 6-8 games a year until he wanted to hang up the cleats. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

I agree with nearly everything you posted.  

What I have noticed about JM and his coaching style and game plan is tailored around his D being stellar.  He hasn't been able to identify that our D is amongst the leagues worst and get more aggressive with his O scheme and game plan.    

You point out multiple assumptions with the Brady scenario and that is all contingant on Brady wanting to play here which I give a zero percent chance.  A 46 year old Brady wants to win games and that is something this franchise has not been able to do for over two decades.  If he doesn't retire he will end up on a team that is ready to win now, a team that has a solid Oline, a good run game and a top tier D.  I can see Brady either retiring or heading to SF to win another ring, he certainly will not end up on a team that is not close to competing.  

What about this team would be appealing to a legend like Brady?  A history of instability in the front office, a bad HC with a proven losing record and a team that consists of very little talent and no depth.  

Another thing to factor in is who knows what Brady thinks of JM.  He very well could think the guy is a fraud who rode his and BB's to coattails to success.  That is quite possible after what JM has shown as a HC this year. 

I think Jimmy G will have a market this offseason that will consist of more attractive landing spots than Vegas.  Jets, Washington and Indy will land the top stopgaps and we will be in the next tier picking up the scraps of some bum.  

I think you hit on something that is very important and hasn't been mentioned much and that is will DZ and JM reach for a rookie out of desperation?  I have seen this happen so many times and it rarely ends well espically on a team that is so far from competing.  This team is in no way set up for a rookie QB to have success with what appears to be another offseason where we have tremendous roster turnover. 

If these guys are desperate, which they appear to be and reach for a QB who turns out to be Z Wilson we can all kiss the next three plus seasons goodbye as well.  We will not be competitive and revert to getting embarrassed quite often like we witnessed every year during the years between Gannon and Carr.  

You also bring up another good point but this team is already a screwed up mess as it currently stands.  You do add another level  of complexity to the situation if DZ/JM draft a rookie and get fired at some point through out the season.  Then you have a rookie QB in a difunctional situation who is about to inherit a HC who has no ties to him.   That is the recipe for three plus years of an embarrassing, bottom of the barrel brand of football

I mean if you look throughout the last 5 years of 1st round QB.

Kenny Pickett(20th overall)

-Only quarterback picked in the first round this year at pick number 20 to the quarterback desperate Steelers and currently has 5 touchdowns and 9 interceptions

Trevor Lawrence(first overall)

-A complete baller who's first year was subject to bad coaching

Zach wilson(Second overall)

-benched multiple times this year

Trey Lance(third overall)(multiple 1st rd draft picks & more were traded for multiple years just to get him)

-injured and didn't look good when he was on the field

Justin Fields(11th overall)(traded draft picks were traded to get him)

-Can't really throw and just basically runs all the time. Doesn't appear to pan out

Mac Jones(15th overall)

-Had a good rookie year due to the fact that the defense was getting the ball back at a higher rate than every team in the league except one. Has nine touchdowns and eight interceptions this year

Joe Burrow(first overall)

-Absolute Baller from day one. Would be even better with a better head coach/play caller

Tua(fifth overall)

-Overachiever with world class speed at the receiver position and a very good play caller

-looked unstartable his first two years in the NFL

-Often injured

Justin Herbert(sixth overall)

-A Baller who has trouble turning the football over sometimes

-Another underrated factor here is that the Chargers already had a very good roster really just playing poorly because Philip Rivers is time was up

Jordan Love(25th overall)

-Plain and simple has not looked good

-The Packers know this so they paid Aaron Rodgers(their first round pick quarterback from 2005 who is 38 years old) 50 mil per year. Know how hard it is to get quarterback right and how lucky they are to have one they will pay him whatever he wants. They want to keep him on the bench tell absolutely necessary for him to play. 

Kyler Murray(first overall)

-One of my favorite quarterbacks in the NFL but obviously needs a lot of work. I think that huge part of that though is coaching. His play collar hasn't developed him in anyway. But the talent is there

Daniel Jones(sixth overall)

-What happens when you are trying to overdraft a QB out of need 

-Currently 13 tds & has thrown less than 15 touchdowns three years in a row

-something to notice:In spite of him the Giants are still in playoff contention because of their supporting caste and their head coach being a very good play caller(you know like a real offensive mastermind)

Dwayne Haskins(15th overall)

-RIP but was a bust and on his second team when he passed away(if I remember correctly he was cut after his rookie year)

Baker Mayfield(first overall)

-On his third team this season

Sam Darnold(third overall)

-The Panthers brought Baker Mayfield in to start over him after trading to get him(the Panthers are most likely going to draft a quarterback this year despite having both of them should tell you a lot about them both)

-On his second team(something to point out: the Jets have been on this list twice in five years and have missed twice already)

Josh Allen

-a raw prospect that had a really good offensive mind to cultivate and now he is a Baller who has helped turn around a garbage franchise

Lamar Jackson

-Former MVP who happened to go to a franchise that was already winning which gave him the ability to start out successfully

Some things that I would pay attention to on this list:

-like I mentioned before, the Jets have been in this list twice and are still in need of a quarterback

-teams like the Giants bears & Washington are in need of a quarterback despite having been on this list once. 

-Browns(who muffed on the pick with the number one overall pick in the draft) got fed up and then just traded three first round picks for Deshaun Watson who A. Has questionable character(shows the desperation of when a team needs a quarterback) & B. Has not really produced this year which shows that the quarterback doesn't answer all of your problems

-There are players like Trevor Lawrence who are doing really well now but when that were originally drafted not overcome poor coaching and overall organizational culture and only began to improve after proven winning coaching and leadership joined the team to cultivate 

-if you count up the proven quarterbacks that have panned out from this list you would end up with 6. That would be six out of the 17 quarterbacks picked.

That means out of the last five years the other 11 quarterbacks drafted did not pan out or the jury is still out on them.

That is a 35% success rate. This is why people end up in a revolving door at quarterback

Edited by Jeremy408
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I wonder who cried more about this. You @BobbyPhil1781 @Frankie2Gunzor @Humble_Beast

There's no way around this to defend Mcdaniels based on merit alone. You have to say something stupid like "He was highly sought after" or some inapplicable statistic from when he was an offensive coordinator with Brady and Belichick. lol

But again, as a HEAD COACH...

Edited by Jeremy408
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

I just don’t agree sorry. 

Stidham is a total unknown but we were postulating about why Brady may find this destination attractive so in this case we’re assuming he might be QB.

Jacobs has been great and McDaniels I feel has schemed a great rushing attack, RBs are plentiful who will perform in this scheme IMO.

Adams is a Raider fan first of all as well as Carrs friend and he’ll probably be excited about the prospect of playing with Brady. Not going to just assume he leaves too. Renfrow is the exact type of receiver Brady has had amazing chemistry with over the years, perfectly suited to his game.

Waller had shown elite skills though he’s been a major disappointment this year. The potential for a bounce back year if real of course. 

Miller is certainly a franchise LT, it’s clear on film so I don’t have to pretend that he’s been good even though the line has been in flux the whole year. Parham will be better next year with experience.

With regard the interior DLine, it’s well known that Billings is my boy and he’s a good NT. we desperately need a DT next to him but that can be found on FA or the draft. Backup NTs are plentiful and guys like Nichols or Tillery are ok for depth at least. We do need a penetrating DT urgently though.

Crosby has become elite this year and Jones if you watch the film has still something to offer though he has faded due to age. 

Perryman is a good LB no question, the others we can get away with as they’re not that important if we sort out the DT. We could do with a talent influx here but it’s not a priority IMO.

Our CBS are not ‘trash’ that is hyperbole. Ya Sin is a decent #2 and Hobbs is a very good slot guy. We do need a #1 Cb though, again we’ll have draft and FA to address that.

Harmon had been playing well and us the field Marshall back there. We need his future replacement and Moehrig had underwhelmed a little but they’re not bad. 

Kickers are great.

Now, it’s important to realise I’m not saying we are an uber talented team because we’re not, but we do have areas of promise and a good FO can and would help dramatically. I do find your posts thoughtful but sometimes prone to hyperbole just like our friends the anti Carr guys go very much the other way. We have definite areas of weakness as all teams have but we do have talent too, we’re not devoid of all hope.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

There's no way around this to defend Mcdaniels based on merit alone. You have to say something stupid like "He was highly sought after" or some inapplicable statistic from when he was an offensive coordinator with Brady and Belichick. lol

But again, as a HEAD COACH...

Based on merit? He was the play caller for the greatest dynasty in professional sports history and instrumental in multiple championships. The greatest coach ever made him the highest paid coordinator in the league. I guess that means nothing. Carr crapping the bed for a decade is more impressive. 

WIPE THEM TEARS BOY. Carr is outta here

2 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Based on merit? He was the play caller for the greatest dynasty in professional sports history and instrumental in multiple championships. The greatest coach ever made him the highest paid coordinator in the league. I guess that means nothing. Carr crapping the bed for a decade is more impressive. 

WIPE THEM TEARS BOY. Carr is outta here

There's no way around this to defend Mcdaniels based on HEAD COACHING merit alone. You have to say something stupid like "He was highly sought after" or some inapplicable statistic from when he was an offensive coordinator with Brady and Belichick(called it). lol

But again, as a HEEEEAAAAAAAD COOOOOOAAAAACH...LOL

38 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

I mean if you look throughout the last 5 years of 1st round QB.

Kenny Pickett(20th overall)

-Only quarterback picked in the first round this year at pick number 20 to the quarterback desperate Steelers and currently has 5 touchdowns and 9 interceptions

Trevor Lawrence(first overall)

-A complete baller who's first year was subject to bad coaching

Zach wilson(Second overall)

-benched multiple times this year

Trey Lance(third overall)(multiple 1st rd draft picks & more were traded for multiple years just to get him)

-injured and didn't look good when he was on the field

Justin Fields(11th overall)(traded draft picks were traded to get him)

-Can't really throw and just basically runs all the time. Doesn't appear to pan out

Mac Jones(15th overall)

-Had a good rookie year due to the fact that the defense was getting the ball back at a higher rate than every team in the league except one. Has nine touchdowns and eight interceptions this year

Joe Burrow(first overall)

-Absolute Baller from day one. Would be even better with a better head coach/play caller

Tua(fifth overall)

-Overachiever with world class speed at the receiver position and a very good play caller

-looked unstartable his first two years in the NFL

-Often injured

Justin Herbert(sixth overall)

-A Baller who has trouble turning the football over sometimes

-Another underrated factor here is that the Chargers already had a very good roster really just playing poorly because Philip Rivers is time was up

Jordan Love(25th overall)

-Plain and simple has not looked good

-The Packers know this so they paid Aaron Rodgers(their first round pick quarterback from 2005 who is 38 years old) 50 mil per year. Know how hard it is to get quarterback right and how lucky they are to have one they will pay him whatever he wants. They want to keep him on the bench tell absolutely necessary for him to play. 

Kyler Murray(first overall)

-One of my favorite quarterbacks in the NFL but obviously needs a lot of work. I think that huge part of that though is coaching. His play collar hasn't developed him in anyway. But the talent is there

Daniel Jones(sixth overall)

-What happens when you are trying to overdraft a QB out of need 

-Currently 13 tds & has thrown less than 15 touchdowns three years in a row

-something to notice:In spite of him the Giants are still in playoff contention because of their supporting caste and their head coach being a very good play caller(you know like a real offensive mastermind)

Dwayne Haskins(15th overall)

-RIP but was a bust and on his second team when he passed away(if I remember correctly he was cut after his rookie year)

Baker Mayfield(first overall)

-On his third team this season

Sam Darnold(third overall)

-The Panthers brought Baker Mayfield in to start over him after trading to get him(the Panthers are most likely going to draft a quarterback this year despite having both of them should tell you a lot about them both)

-On his second team(something to point out: the Jets have been on this list twice in five years and have missed twice already)

Josh Allen

-a raw prospect that had a really good offensive mind to cultivate and now he is a Baller who has helped turn around a garbage franchise

Lamar Jackson

-Former MVP who happened to go to a franchise that was already winning which gave him the ability to start out successfully

Some things that I would pay attention to on this list:

-like I mentioned before, the Jets have been in this list twice and are still in need of a quarterback

-teams like the Giants bears & Washington are in need of a quarterback despite having been on this list once. 

-Browns(who muffed on the pick with the number one overall pick in the draft) got fed up and then just traded three first round picks for Deshaun Watson who A. Has questionable character(shows the desperation of when a team needs a quarterback) & B. Has not really produced this year which shows that the quarterback doesn't answer all of your problems

-There are players like Trevor Lawrence who are doing really well now but when that were originally drafted not overcome poor coaching and overall organizational culture and only began to improve after proven winning coaching and leadership joined the team to cultivate 

-if you count up the proven quarterbacks that have panned out from this list you would end up with 6. That would be six out of the 17 quarterbacks picked.

That means out of the last five years the other 11 quarterbacks drafted did not pan out or the jury is still out on them.

That is a 35% success rate. This is why people end up in a revolving door at quarterback

I appreciate the work you put into this analysis and agree that drafting QB in the 1st round is certainly a risky endeavor. 

I definitely disagree on Fields’ future prospects. He has all the arm talent and intelligence and I’m confident that he will take a big leap next year when they give him NFL level WR talent and a better O-Line. He’s been pretty efficient the past 6 weeks throwing the football despite playing with CFL level talent so I’m confident he will end up being a franchise QB. 

Also, what alternative do you suggest for the Raiders? Do you want to stick with Carr and pay him elite money despite all of his career long deficiencies? 9 years of sticking with Carr has produced 2 winning seasons, 0 playoff wins, and little else. I appreciate his loyalty and professionalism this past decade but I’ve also seen enough to ascertain that we will always have a limited ceiling with him at the helm.