The QB Thread: Everything Carr, Stidham and beyond...

RaidersAreOne

16 minutes ago, jpaulthe1st said:

I appreciate the work you put into this analysis and agree that drafting QB in the 1st round is certainly a risky endeavor. 

I definitely disagree on Fields’ future prospects. He has all the arm talent and intelligence and I’m confident that he will take a big leap next year when they give him NFL level WR talent and a better O-Line. He’s been pretty efficient the past 6 weeks throwing the football despite playing with CFL level talent so I’m confident he will end up being a franchise QB. 

Also, what alternative do you suggest for the Raiders? Do you want to stick with Carr and pay him elite money despite all of his career long deficiencies? 9 years of sticking with Carr has produced 2 winning seasons, 0 playoff wins, and little else. I appreciate his loyalty and professionalism this past decade but I’ve also seen enough to ascertain that we will always have a limited ceiling with him at the helm. 

1. Respect man. Appreciate it 

2. I mean next year is going to be his third year in the league right? Possible but it doesn't look probable right now there are a lot of assumptions that are made there I think. Other thing to throw out there is Ohio states not really known for producing high-level quarterbacks. As it stands right now he has 2100 yards passing 16 TDs and 10 INTs. Just simply as it stands right now that's not a franchise quarterback(although it's possible sure)

3. Here is what we do know about Carr he has shown that if the defense is at least ranked 24 overall(that's not unattainable) he is capable of taking a team to the playoffs. That's what happened the last two times we had a defense of at least that caliber. That being said to actually answer your question I would've kept Carr & use this upcoming top 10 pick either 

A. Drafted his replacement. That quarterback is would be able to sit for a number of years before having to play meaningful snaps when the rosters actually better

B. Draft the highest rated defensive player that you could get at that draft slot and tried is a brown what is already a pretty good offense with a better defense. When it comes to the offensive line, guards shouldn't be that hard to find so the key is figuring out who right tackle should be. 

another thing that's worth noting is that they didn't have to extend him this offseason he still had one year left on his deal they could've used it to evaluate him. And then if he had this season that he's been having they would've had leverage to maybe have him accept a cheaper deal. Which didn't leave us bearing at the quarterback position for when you do draft rookie. That's the part in this whole thing that makes the GM look suspect

Edited by Jeremy408
  • Like 3

56 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

There's no way around this to defend Mcdaniels based on HEAD COACHING merit alone. You have to say something stupid like "He was highly sought after" or some inapplicable statistic from when he was an offensive coordinator with Brady and Belichick(called it). lol

But again, as a HEEEEAAAAAAAD COOOOOOAAAAACH...LOL

Jon Gruden 117–112, 9 playoff Appearances, 1 superbowl 

Rich Bissacia  7-5, 1 Playoff Appearance, 0 superbowl

Josh mcdaniels 17-26, 0 playoff appearances, 0 superbowl

He made the right decision to park the Carr. Hopefully you leave the fanbase with your daddy.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

He made the right decision to park the Carr. Hopefully you leave the fanbase with your daddy.

None of the following statistics below have nothing to do with Carr:

But again, as a HEEEEAAAAAAAD COOOOOOAAAAACH...LOL

Jon Gruden 117–112, 9 playoff Appearances, 1 superbowl 

Rich Bissacia  7-5, 1 Playoff Appearance, 0 superbowl

Josh mcdaniels 17-26, 0 playoff appearances, 0 superbowl

^Cant use Carr as a crutch for Mcdaniels anymore lolol

1 hour ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Regardless of who the qb is next year, this is not a good look. 

I have never heard of this guy but he  sounds like one of us. All our issues are not on Carr but those previous 5 years of him being a top 10 early down passer with a lead in 2nd half didnt translate into a lot of wins. I liked Carr I’m not trying to bash him but I don’t see why people can’t get behind moving on after 10 years of really no success. This franchise stayed with him longer than probably any other would have. 

16 hours ago, Raiderlife24 said:

I fail to realize that. We suck with Carr. Anything they want to try that involves moving on from him I’m with. Believe it or not guys, Ziegler and Jmd know more about football than us

We'll see today. If they're that smart.

9 hours ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

The way it should of been done is drafts QB and see if he becomes better, then trade Carr.

The Raiders lost picks, a vet to teach the young QB.

The way Carr left the Raiders tells me he wouldn’t have accommodating training his replacement 

1 minute ago, bucksavage1 said:

The way Carr left the Raiders tells me he wouldn’t have accommodating training his replacement 

Maybe but you have to try.  Now they have to take a huge risk at the QB spot and history tells us this is probably going to fail

16 hours ago, Jeremy408 said:

another thing that's worth noting is that they didn't have to extend him this offseason he still had one year left on his deal they could've used it to evaluate him. And then if he had this season that he's been having they would've had leverage to maybe have him accept a cheaper deal. Which didn't leave us bearing at the quarterback position for when you do draft rookie. That's the part in this whole thing that makes the GM look suspect

I said this the entire offseason and season.  We needed to evaluate him in JMD's system before paying him.  What is the worst that happens?  He plays great and deserves a $40 per 3 year deal.  I kept saying the best approach year 1 was a patient approach and that would have set us up to strike this year.  Only player I wanted to pay was Crosby, I did not want to trade for DA, I did not want to sign Jones, and I wanted to trade Waller.  I also said the bulk of the assets needed to be used to build up the o-line and DTs.

• Like 1