The QB Thread: Everything Carr, Stidham and beyond...

RaidersAreOne

23 minutes ago, Raiderlife24 said:

Come on man you’re proving my point. You think this one game determines if they’re smart? This is number 1 defense in league. Do you think Carr would have done good against them? As a raider. You are going to judge Jarrett on one start, Jmd on 15 games, but not dc after 9 yrs.n 142 games  

All Carr haters are the same. For years they were telling everyone that its easy to replace him. Now your bitching about it not being fair.

7 minutes ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

All Carr haters are the same. For years they were telling everyone that its easy to replace him. Now your bitching about it not being fair.

You the one that said you going judge everyone after one game. We will find someone to replace him next year. Carr has been struggling it’s time to move on. I know you are still emotional about it but it will get better. 

6 minutes ago, Raiderlife24 said:

You the one that said you going judge everyone after one game. We will find someone to replace him next year. Carr has been struggling it’s time to move on. I know you are still emotional about it but it will get better. 

Carr needs to leave the Raiders after this season but so do the whole coaching staff.  So no I don't think this group of coaches can turn this team around.

18 minutes ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

Carr needs to leave the Raiders after this season but so do the whole coaching staff.  So no I don't think this group of coaches can turn this team around.

Happy new year btw. The jury is still out on this staff that’s for sure. I feel like we should give them at least 2 more years to build this team how they see fit. 

1 hour ago, Darbsk said:

In fairness you did say that prior to the season and  hammer that point home and you were correct. Kudos. 👍🏼🍺

I can see what the FO did and I think they were confident we’d be very competitive and a major playoff contender as nearly all of us here did too. I wonder if a few plays go our way in the early games and we win those instead of lose then what transpires, but again, they didn’t happen and what happened, happened so what you say is pretty spot on.

Thank you.  You are correct and things could have gone in a very different direction I would have been completely wrong.  The stuff I say like this however is not a prediction but rather seeing points of likely risk and evaluating whether or not it is worth it.  I just look at a situation and find areas that could go wrong, figure probability of it going wrong, and how easily we could avoid it.  New system, lack of depth, lack of talent on lines, QB dependent on good protection, QB with trust issues, and all the money tied up into weapons dependent upon the success of that QB.  It is the NFL so stuff is going to go sideways at some point and it was to risky that it would break down at some point.  It did not have to happen but had a very high likelihood.  This was without going over what has been a bad defense.  Now you back yourself into a corner by giving new deals to top players from other systems or older players along with a small 3 year window.  So now you have a high likelihood of having normal in season team issues and locked in financially to players for a shortened window.  Too many moving parts, zero flexibility to adapt, and not enough time to let things work out.  They had to be perfect and that went out the window week 1 when Carr played horrible.  Partly because we decided our players needed zero preseason with new complicated systems on both sides of the ball.  

In short there were just to many ways this could have gone wrong for it not to have gone wrong.  Past Raider teams have made some stupid foreseeable choices but this group made just about everyone I could think of.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Raiderlife24 said:

Happy new year btw. The jury is still out on this staff that’s for sure. I feel like we should give them at least 2 more years to build this team how they see fit. 

I haven't been happy with the way this team was built in FA. They wasted a lot of money on nothing and still having huge holes in both lines. 

1 hour ago, bucksavage1 said:

Players see right through statements like that. Everyone knows football is a business. The best players don’t play for one franchise anymore. Very rare like Big Ben

Which is exactly why he should not have said it and it was not the only time he has made statements like that.  When I played sports and guys would make stupid statements I knew where not true or just people in my life say crap like that I just loose respect for them.  I am sure there where guys on the team that wanted to say something to him but of course they did not.  I have known a few pro players and they generally do not take criticism very well.

On Carr’s words, he probably was hyperbolic. I’d like to believe he was honest cause guys retire early all the time. But I think this season and playing for this incredibly dysfunctional franchise broke him. We all heard the stories about JMD as a coach. After 3 seasons of grueling Gruden and potentially years of JMD not taking accountability for his failures as a coach I’d want out too. At this point I’d want him to move on to a better situation for him. 

3 hours ago, Darbsk said:

This is a great point. When we brought in McDaniels it was sold as bringing in an elite offensive mind into the building to build a juggernaut offence. Now, we all know Carr isn’t an elite QB but you can’t tell me he’s a bad QB, he should have been able to work in this system. Maybe the fault is majority Carr, who knows but if that is the case, then really McDaniels isn’t any different than any average Joe HC who needs elite QB play to be successful. It’s why it’s so interesting that we’ll see what Stidham can possibly do. Maybe Carr was just a terrible fit. We all ought to be hoping so or we’re in for s rough few years otherwise.

Right that was my point from the beginning. If he's not that good at calling plays that he can't do it with an average to slightly above average quarterback then why not just keep Rich Bissacia?