Lets Talk the end of Lions/Falcons

TheKillerNacho

10-second runoff due to the refs stopping the clock near the end of the game...  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Should the rule be changed?

I didn't see a thread open for this. But if you somehow missed the ending of this game it went like this:

Golden Tate appeared to have caught the game-winning touchdown with 9 seconds left to play. The officials called it a touchdown on the field. The officials stopped the game to review the touchdown. It was later determined he was an inch or two short, and was overturned. By rule, this resulted in a 10-second runnoff, since the Lions could not stop the clock as they did not have a timeout remaining. However, with 9 seconds left on the clock, it would've been entirely possible if the play was ruled short initially, that the Lions would've been able to hurry and get one more play off to try to win the game.

Should the NFL rules committee discuss changing the 10-second run-off as a rule in the postseason? Because it really did leave a bitter taste in the mouth of anyone watching the backend of that game. Imo, the 10-second runoff should not apply in cases where the refs stop the clock (or at the very least, not let it end the game in that case). The other solution would be to not auto-review touchdowns; which would've forced the Falcons to challenge it which would also remove the run-off... Or reduce it to a 5 second runnoff?

7 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

The other solution would be to not auto-review touchdowns; which would've forced the Falcons to challenge it which would also remove the run-off...

I think its good that they auto review TDs. I feel like that would be a step backwards.

Also, the replay came from the booth inside 2 minutes. Which is why the simple change may be to allow teams to challenge within 2 minutes if they dont want the runoff to occur.

6 minutes ago, MathMan said:

I think its good that they auto review TDs. I feel like that would be a step backwards.

Also, the replay came from the booth inside 2 minutes. Which is why the simple change may be to allow teams to challenge within 2 minutes if they dont want the runoff to occur.

But the Lions wouldn't want it to be challenged. They got the TD call on the field. Plus they were out of TOs so couldn't if they wanted to.

I'm not seeing the potential abuse of simply not doing a runoff when the officials are the ones who stop the clock in the first place. I guess it would be different if it were for example, only 2 seconds left on the clock because then the Lions would have no hope to get to the line and giving them one more play would be unfair to the Falcons.

Maybe reduce it to a five-second runoff or something?

6 minutes ago, MathMan said:

Just dont have the run off. It doesn't make sense to punish Detroit because the refs made the wrong call. 

1 minute ago, MookieMonster said:

Just dont have the run off. It doesn't make sense to punish Detroit because the refs made the wrong call. 

To play devil's advocate, what if there was only two seconds left on the clock? Would it be fair to punish the Falcons in that case by giving the Lions an additional play that they would've never had a shot of being able to get off if not for the wrong call on the TD?

27 minutes ago, MookieMonster said:

Stupid rule. Essentially the Lions got screwed because the refs made the wrong call initially. Had they made the correct call Detroit would've had time to line back up and run one more play. 

It might have still been reviewed. Or the Lions would have spent so much time whining about NOT getting the call, the time would have run out anyway.

Archived