Lets Talk the end of Lions/Falcons

TheKillerNacho

10-second runoff due to the refs stopping the clock near the end of the game...  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Should the rule be changed?

Just now, showtime said:

It's unfortunate the ref made the wrong call on the field because if he didn't, the Lions would have actually gotten a chance to try.

That I would agree with. It's a shame that they were punished with such finality over a ref's mistake.

2 minutes ago, Bullet Club said:

Hence why you add an exclusion to the rule and don't worry about it ever again.

But I think it's hard to do that - I mean, nobody is looking at the flip side. The falcons stopped them there. If you don't run off the clock in some manner, you're punishing them, and then you have this same argument from the flip side. Like I said, I don't have an issue with the run off. What I think would make it better is to do an actual study on it, clock the run off times it takes on average when teams are inside of 40 second to go in the game or something like that. I think 10 seconds is fairly arbitrary.

Just now, Forge said:

But I think it's hard to do that - I mean, nobody is looking at the flip side. The falcons stopped them there. If you don't run off the clock in some manner, you're punishing them, and then you have this same argument from the flip side. Like I said, I don't have an issue with the run off. What I think would make it better is to do an actual study on it, clock the run off times it takes on average when teams are inside of 40 second to go in the game or something like that. I think 10 seconds is fairly arbitrary.

It's hard to add an exclusion that says the refs shouldn't be able to screw a team into a loss? The run-off is fine 99% of the time, just add an exclusion saying if it's the refs fault the clock stopped it's not applicable.

Just now, Bullet Club said:

It's hard to add an exclusion that says the refs shouldn't be able to screw a team into a loss? The run-off is fine 99% of the time, just add an exclusion saying if it's the refs fault the clock stopped it's not applicable.

But the thing is that you can't guarantee that the Lions get the play off if they get the call right with the clock rolling. So maybe the refs didn't screw them at all. It seems like they did, and it's more about them not getting the chance to try more than anything for me. To me, the best solution is to get the more accurate run off time and keep the rule the same.

3 minutes ago, BladeKor said:

Lions did not get screwed, Tate's knee was down. 

Thats not what is being argued. No one thinks Tate wasn't down. They got screwed because they had 8 seconds left and it was 4th and 1, but because the refs had to review the score they do a 10 second run off thus ending the game.

The Lions should've had the opportunity to run another play, had the refs initially called it a no touchdown the Lions would've had the opportunity to hurry back and try a quick run/QB sneak/pass and if they don't get the ball snapped in time all is fair.

1 minute ago, MookieMonster said:

Its definitely tricky. You can't just give the Lions a free play with no clock, but its also unfair to just run the clock down and end the game on a refs mistake.

It's something without an ideal answer, to be honest. I mean, we want to get the play right first and foremost. They did that, so that's good. Since you can't just have everyone sit where they are when the play is finished, the only real way to go about it is the run off. It's just that 10 seconds is arbitrary. There's no doubt that teams could get a play off faster than that, particularly if it's only like an 8 yard play. I really think the best method, to make it most fair is to do the research on the time it takes (for all teams), and use the average for a run off. I really don't know what else can be done.

12 minutes ago, Forge said:

But the thing is that you can't guarantee that the Lions get the play off if they get the call right with the clock rolling. So maybe the refs didn't screw them at all. It seems like they did, and it's more about them not getting the chance to try more than anything for me. To me, the best solution is to get the more accurate run off time and keep the rule the same.

Odds are they get a play off in this situation. Even if it never happens again having a rule that ends a game based on the fault of a referee is absolutely unacceptable.

2 minutes ago, MookieMonster said:

Thats not what is being argued. No one thinks Tate wasn't down. They got screwed because they had 8 seconds left and it was 4th and 1, but because the refs had to review the score they do a 10 second run off thus ending the game.

The Lions should've had the opportunity to run another play, had the refs initially called it a no touchdown the Lions would've had the opportunity to hurry back and try a quick run/QB sneak/pass and if they don't get the ball snapped in time all is fair.

If it's in the rule book, the lions didn't get screwed. The way I see it, it was just pure bad luck on the lions part. Next season, there may be changes to prevent this from happening again.

18 minutes ago, Forge said:

What?  There's a chance that they would've gotten a play off.  The refs removed that chance.  That's the definition of getting screwed.

Archived