Draft Day Thread: Day 3

MrOaktown_56

4 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

If we cut either this year without getting something back in return, we're idiots. 

Screw the saving 20 mil. We literally never do anything with "all the cap space we have". 

We're not cutting Tyrell but Gabe is very possible. Cap room rolls over to next season and we don't have a ton right now.

3 minutes ago, oakdb36 said:

Yeah, i'd take anything we can get. I think he's getting cut if not traded. Problem is teams probably expect it as well and they'd be able to sign him for way less than 9.6M.

That's true. Hard to say without digging into teams needs more. We'll have to hope theres a team out there with a big hole at guard and aren't right up against the cap that'll throw a 5th or 6th (probably a playoff caliber team) and deal with his salary just to make sure they land him and don't have to worry about competition on the open market. 

Does a team like Seattle make some sense? Seems like their OL is perennially underpreforming. Gabe would likely be one of their best linemen if he's healthy. 

1 minute ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

Unless we draft a RB with our next pick do you guys think we sign a FA to back up Jacobs or roll into the year with Bowden as the primary backup?  If so who?

I don't think Bowden can handle the load if Jacobs get hurt.  

Definitely have to sign a bigger vet back. 

Unless we draft a RB with our next pick do you guys think we sign a FA to back up Jacobs or roll into the year with Bowden as the primary backup?  If so who?

Carlos Hyde, Devonta Freeman. Always tons of quality at RB available going into the draft.

Yes. Hyde or Freeman come to mind.

• Like 1

I certainly wouldn't mind drafting a back at any point from here on out. But it's really not a big deal if we dont. There's always guys on the market that can come in and handle 5-10 touches a game depending on flow and whatnot. Or we could find a guy on the undrafted free agent market. I value running backs more than most in todays age (the elite ones anyway) but even I don't value backup running back to a top 10 guy that much. 

I'm not saying depth behind Jacobs isn't important. It's a need. It's just not hard to find IMO. If we love a guy, sure, but we shouldn't feel forced to take a guy. Like others have mentioned Hyde or Freeman could come fill that role. I wonder how Crowell has responded, achilles are worrisome, but he could come at vet minimum and come show what he has in camp/ hold the fort while we see if Bowden has a smooth transition to a more traditional backup RB position.