With the 97th pick ... Jacob Phillips LB LSU

ditchdigger

Remember when Phillips was pretty much a consensus late 2nd rounder in mock drafts earlier this year? 

Honestly, I like him more than Mind does. So I'll allow it. I like looking for unsung heroes on elite defenses (like LSU), and we may have just unearthed a gem in the compensatory third.

Edited by NudeTayne

51 minutes ago, NudeTayne said:

Remember when Phillips was pretty much a consensus late 2nd rounder in mock drafts earlier this year? 

Honestly, I like him more than Mind does. So I'll allow it. I like looking for unsung heroes on elite defenses (like LSU), and we may have just unearthed a gem in the compensatory third.

We got the sung and the unsung.  This defense should be singing.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

If we wanted a 2 down MLB, we should have chosen Malik Harrison. Hopefully Phillips does well. Harrison is solid and also went to Baltimore. 

My thoughts exactly.

I realize most of us have an OSU bias (you and I for sure), but I can’t seem to find a single “expert” who had this kid rated higher than Harrison.

I’m starting to wonder if we scout other conferences than just the SEC 😂 

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

My thoughts exactly.

I realize most of us have an OSU bias (you and I for sure), but I can’t seem to find a single “expert” who had this kid rated higher than Harrison.

I’m starting to wonder if we scout other conferences than just the SEC 😂 

Make no mistake about it, I like our other picks for sure. That said, I personally would have done:

Winfield instead of Delpit (I absolutely said everything for the lulz @Mind Character)

and

Harrison instead of Phillips.

Now, Delpit has a higher ceiling than Winfield, so I can rationalize that pick, especially when you factor in big plays from Delpit/believe you can sand off those angle issues or put him in a spot to be more successful.

But there’s nothing you could do from a 1-1 correlation standpoint when comparing Harrison to Phillips. Malik is bigger, stronger, more athletic, and more productive. They have, to be generous to Phillips, the same floor with Malik having more upside.

• Like 1

I don’t like this pick to be honest. I thought there were st least 4 LBs better than him available when we picked. He is good at playing in a phone booth, which is what we lacked at LB for a long time now though. I would have just preferred Shaq Quarterman, Malik Harrison, Akeem Davis-Gaither, Michael Pinckney or Joe Bachie over him. 

We clearly did our homework on him though and appear to be bought in to whatever he was selling if we took him over some of the other guys. 

2 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

I said it last night and I’ve said it for months, linebackers are not that important anymore.

Most running plays average less than completed passes. So you give up ground yardage.

They’ve been devalued vs 20 years ago for sure, but I think we can agree you still need competent play at the position.

Just looking at the top teams last year, the Titans and Pats have first rounders there, the 9ers spent big FA money on one, the Steelers traded up for one, the Ravens always invest in them and lost a former first rounder in Mosley and replaced him this year with a first AND third round picks.

Darious Leonard, Wagner and Kendricks were all second round picks.

When you say teams devalue them, you mean the Chiefs.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

When you say teams devalue them, you mean the Chiefs.

49ers too.

They’re actively trying to get rid of Kwon Alexander.

Not sure about the Packers caring too much either. Unless you consider the Smiths to be LB (they’re just edge guys to me, but I’d get it).

Just now, candyman93 said:

49ers too.

They’re actively trying to get rid of Kwon Alexander.

and when they do we’ll see how well they do if they don’t replace him.

That same FO and coaching staff also took a LB in R1 a few years ago, so it’s not like they don’t care about the position.

Just now, candyman93 said:

Not sure about the Packers caring too much either. Unless you consider the Smiths to be LB (they’re just edge guys to me, but I’d get it).

And Gary, but year they’re not exactly what we’re discussing.

I guess I’m just not at the point with Lb’s that I am with RB’s.  I would absolutely still spend a top 10 pick on an ILB for a guy like Kuechly, Willis, etc.  I think the 20’s is a great spot to grab quality starters at the position.  I also don’t think it’s a coincidence that our defense has been trash for 20 years all the while never investing significantly at any one time at the position.