With the 97th pick ... Jacob Phillips LB LSU

ditchdigger

12 hours ago, NudeTayne said:

Remember when Phillips was pretty much a consensus late 2nd rounder in mock drafts earlier this year? 

Honestly, I like him more than Mind does. So I'll allow it. I like looking for unsung heroes on elite defenses (like LSU), and we may have just unearthed a gem in the compensatory third.

Some thoughts on Phillips he came within 2tenths of second of running with Luke Keuthly

He is a excellent tackler

If you blitz him off of Myles side IT guarantees  that Myles gets a 1on1. 

Guards that weigh 330 pounds (0.15 t) and are32 years of age are going to be trying to block somebody that is faster than Myles.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Not that it matters, but does anyone LOVE this pick?  Like, he’s “your guy”?

At that pick, there weren't really guys left I absolute love for the spot. That said, I like the pick a lot. I think he easily could be the better pick than Harrison when it's all said and done, though it would be difficult to choose him over Dye. 

As I mentioned earlier, I've mocked him to us a bit. I like what he brings to our team. I also have an easy time believing we'll be forgetting all about Bachie being gone pretty soon.

He is the best tackler on the best team in the country full of first rounders. He is a leader, healthy, explosive and reliable. He is the definition of smart & accountable. I can see Phillips sticking and being looked at as great value a few years from now.

Edited by NudeTayne
the country is full of first rounders
  • Like 2

On 4/25/2020 at 2:40 PM, MSURacerDT55 said:

In a recent interview he models his game after Darius Leonard, and he's a really good tackler as well call the defense for LSU, im definitely willing to give this guy a shot. This quietly might be the pick that surprises the most, dont sleep

Ive watched some of these player interviews post-draft and one thing that irritates me is how poor some of these reporters are asking questions. They stutter and fumble over every question they ask or they ask the most basic questions.

" Hey Jacob, ummm, I just wanted to uhhhh....ask how you felt playing again with ummmmm, Del.....Delpit and **3 second pause** another guy like uhhhhh. Gre...Greedy Williams.?"

Like wtf did you people go to school for this or what? I would also love if one of these idiots could ask a football related question. Perhaps "Hey Jacob, we noticed you played primarily at this position, do you think you fit best at Mike in a base 4-3 or Will in a 3-4?"

Somthing, anything other than "Hey we have bunch of LSU Tigers on this team, how do you feel about that?" Thats literally asked every other question.

Edited by AkronsWitness
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

In my only mock this year, I drafted him in round 3. So I guess he's my guy.

He gets the ball carrier on the ground. I love that quality in mid-round linebackers. 

• Like 2

I would have taken Malik Harrison over him, but I personally didn't think either were that great. I think Shaq Quarterman is just a little bit better at everything Phillips does with the exception of pure speed.

I don't think it's a bad pick. He reminds me of a more physically talented D'Qwell Jackson. A dude that does his job admirably and is not going to need to be replaced from the starting lineup, but is never really someone that keeps you up at night.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

I don't think it's a bad pick. He reminds me of a more physically talented D'Qwell Jackson. A dude that does his job admirably and is not going to need to be replaced from the starting lineup, but is never really someone that keeps you up at night.

I'll take that in the 3rd round.

On 4/25/2020 at 2:40 PM, MSURacerDT55 said:

In a recent interview he models his game after Darius Leonard, and he's a really good tackler as well call the defense for LSU, im definitely willing to give this guy a shot. This quietly might be the pick that surprises the most, dont sleep

Well Leonard was a guy who many thought Indy reached on, only to bloom into the DRoY. Perhaps Phillips could take that leap. He is a year younger than Malik, and even though it isn't his strong suit, I can the upside in his coverage ability. 

3 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

FWIW, DePodesta said a team called him after the pick and said "that was our guy"

2 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

Ive watched some of these player interviews post-draft and one thing that irritates me is how poor some of these reporters are asking questions. They stutter and fumble over every question they ask or they ask the most basic questions.

" Hey Jacob, ummm, I just wanted to uhhhh....ask how you felt playing again with ummmmm, Del.....Delpit and **3 second pause** another guy like uhhhhh. Gre...Greedy Williams.?"

Like wtf did you people go to school for this or what? I would also love if one of these idiots could ask a football related question. Perhaps "Hey Jacob, we noticed you played primarily at this position, do you think you fit best at Mike in a base 4-3 or Will in a 3-4?"

Somthing, anything other than "Hey we have bunch of LSU Tigers on this team, how do you feel about that?" Thats literally asked every other question.

Feel the same way. As someone in the business, I was taught to be concise. I get why some would wanna add context but sheesh have a plan, don't go in there swingin' blindly

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

I think Jackson could have had a better career if he was always playing in a 4/3 scheme. Playing those early years in the browns 3/4 destroyed in physically since he wasn’t truly the big for ILB in that scheme. So comparing him to Jackson might be a real nice comp

36 minutes ago, MistaBohmbastic said:

Well Leonard was a guy who many thought Indy reached on, only to bloom into the DRoY. Perhaps Phillips could take that leap. He is a year younger than Malik, and even though it isn't his strong suit, I can the upside in his coverage ability. 

FWIW, DePodesta said a team called him after the pick and said "that was our guy"

Feel the same way. As someone in the business, I was taught to be concise. I get why some would wanna add context but sheesh have a plan, don't go in there swingin' blindly

Its like they do no research before interviews and have pre scripted questions. Like when they get called on  it feels like they are caught off guard and have to formulate a question out of thin air

3 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

lol, I absolute hate that we have some of THE WORST media members in America. They are so amateur, and will get an attitude or frustrated when they get called out for asking a dumb question.

Edited by MSURacerDT55
  • Like 3

20 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

lol, I absolute hate that we have some of THE WORST media members in America. They are so amateur, and will get an attitude or frustrated when they get called out for asking a dumb question.

And they continue to ask the same questions year after year that literally no GM or coach is ever gonna answer?

”was Wills the top guy on your board”..... “did you consider trading down”....  Jesus fellas, just ask about the player and their fit on the team and move on.  Stop asking these asinine questions.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

And they continue to ask the same questions year after year that literally no GM or coach is ever gonna answer?

”was Wills the top guy on your board”..... “did you consider trading down”....  Jesus fellas, just ask about the player and their fit on the team and move on.  Stop asking these asinine questions.

Or, "Do you think this guy can make the switch from RT to LT"? But every credible source said yes but they still vocalize it as a concern 

Edited by MSURacerDT55
  • Like 3