Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
mwalker

DRAFT PICKS DISCUSSION

Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, bigben07MVP said:

 

I think Claypool is more of a threat to Ebron’s role/spot in 2021 than JuJu’s.

This +100%.  Plus, it follows the mold.  Sign Barron/draft Bush.  Sign Ebron/draft CC.  Stays one year.

Ebron will be a better WR based on experience, CC will block lots better and can function as a move TE/H Back.

But imagine them on the field at the same time... on the same side... my God... what are DC's to do??

 

I will concur with the quote on @jebrick's post.  Whomever is making a Bryant/CC comparision is lazy.  They might be ying/yang players.  Not even the same.

I am not even getting the Kittle comp either.

I have not watched enough Giants games to get a feel on Engram.  I really liked him his draft year though.  I am not sure how they are deploying him.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Also, I'm really liking BTSC's content of late. I used to be kind of lukewarm towards them, but they've stepped it up. 

Off topic, but this is good to know. I gave up on them like a year or so ago. I couldn’t stand reading their opinions and takes. But that’s how I’m getting with SD right now. I’ll have to try them out again  

Im happy those guys compile numbers and put stuff out there to consume...but after the 80th “why Tyler Matakevic is irreplaceable elite” opinions get old. They need some diversity with outside opinions in the worst way. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, kurgan said:

Ebron will be a better WR based on experience, CC will block lots better and can function as a move TE/H Back.

But imagine them on the field at the same time... on the same side... my God... what are DC's to do??

This team will be deaaaaadly in the redzone from the 20 to the 5. After that....eh 

JuJu, DJ, Ebron, Claypool, Connor....redzone....yessss

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone see where Reggie Bush said McFarland might be better than Bell? I don't really like the guy. I think he's a weasel and a jerk (Bush) but it'd be great if he's right and the "rumors" of McFarland's behavior turn out to be false.  

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/maryland-terps/reggie-bush-thinks-ex-terp-rb-anthony-mcfarland-could-be-better-leveon-bell

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

Off topic, but this is good to know. I gave up on them like a year or so ago. I couldn’t stand reading their opinions and takes. But that’s how I’m getting with SD right now. I’ll have to try them out again  

Im happy those guys compile numbers and put stuff out there to consume...but after the 80th “why Tyler Matakevic is irreplaceable elite” opinions get old. They need some diversity with outside opinions in the worst way. 

They've been doing some nice breakdowns of players and schemes. I agree about SD, it's getting very opinion oriented, in a bad way. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

They've been doing some nice breakdowns of players and schemes. I agree about SD, it's getting very opinion oriented, in a bad way. 

I like Kozora but I legit can’t stand Dave Bryan 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm sure to get blasted for even suggesting this, but has anyone else, after watching Antoine Brooks Jr. highlights, not being able to help thinking about Troy?  Like, Brooks is the 'poorest' man's Troy Polamalu?  I just get the impression that one some plays, he seems to be SOO far ahead of anyone else on the field as to where an opponent's play is 'going'.  His recognition skills, on some plays, is off the charts. like Troy used to do sometimes...or maybe Shazier is a better comp--I don't know.  But, for a 'slow' dude. Brooks seems to play pretty darn fast.  Some run plays, it appears, that he has 'smelled out' before the snap, and he just rockets through the line for a TFL. And when he does, he's not going for the 'lights out' hit; he just executes a textbook tackle.

I understand they are called 'highlights' for a reason; I suspect he has a lot of bad tape, as well, but I tell you what...I'd be thrilled to take just a dozen plays like that throughout the season, along with some solid STs play/part-time defense.  If we get that out of Brooks Jr., then how awesome would that 6th Rd selection be for us?!?!

But again, he was taken in the 6th Rd for a reason; I get that.  I'm just saying that some of those highlights were reminiscent of Troy, or again, maybe Shazier; I don't expect him to have anywhere near Troy's impact on our D, of course...

Go ahead...fire away, lol...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Ward4HOF said:

I'm sure to get blasted for even suggesting this, but has anyone else, after watching Antoine Brooks Jr. highlights, not being able to help thinking about Troy?  Like, Brooks is the 'poorest' man's Troy Polamalu?  I just get the impression that one some plays, he seems to be SOO far ahead of anyone else on the field as to where an opponent's play is 'going'.  His recognition skills, on some plays, is off the charts. like Troy used to do sometimes...or maybe Shazier is a better comp--I don't know.  But, for a 'slow' dude. Brooks seems to play pretty darn fast.  Some run plays, it appears, that he has 'smelled out' before the snap, and he just rockets through the line for a TFL. And when he does, he's not going for the 'lights out' hit; he just executes a textbook tackle.

I understand they are called 'highlights' for a reason; I suspect he has a lot of bad tape, as well, but I tell you what...I'd be thrilled to take just a dozen plays like that throughout the season, along with some solid STs play/part-time defense.  If we get that out of Brooks Jr., then how awesome would that 6th Rd selection be for us?!?!

But again, he was taken in the 6th Rd for a reason; I get that.  I'm just saying that some of those highlights were reminiscent of Troy, or again, maybe Shazier; I don't expect him to have anywhere near Troy's impact on our D, of course...

Go ahead...fire away, lol...

He has always had good instincts. I think him being a very poor man’s Polumalu is a fair comparison. I think it’s more likely that he plays like Mark Barron than Troy, which would also be awesome for a 6th round pick.

The reason I say more like Barron is Brooks doesn’t have the coverage ability or the play making skills of Troy but he’s probably equal to what Barron has been in his career.

Edited by turtle28

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

the more i think about it the more i think we have a real swiss army knife offense and can be set for really any situation... provided ben comes back strong which i think he will if his interviews are any indication, we have the big guys, we have the quick guys, guys who can work to box out d backs, punishing backs, receiving backs, a line that can keep ben upright and a guy throwing the ball who can hit any of them

our defense should take a small step back because it was viciously elite last year but if they can operate at even 80% of what they did last year we are contenders imo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Shady Slim said:

the more i think about it the more i think we have a real swiss army knife offense and can be set for really any situation... provided ben comes back strong which i think he will if his interviews are any indication, we have the big guys, we have the quick guys, guys who can work to box out d backs, punishing backs, receiving backs, a line that can keep ben upright and a guy throwing the ball who can hit any of them

our defense should take a small step back because it was viciously elite last year but if they can operate at even 80% of what they did last year we are contenders imo

Agreed but I have more faith in our talent on the field then I do the scheming of the Coordinators.  Hopefully the Defense maintains and the Offensive play calling gets a bit more creative.  I'll give last Season's Offense a mulligan but I hope it opens up and becomes less predictable than Seasons before. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/7/2020 at 7:47 AM, Ward4HOF said:

I'm sure to get blasted for even suggesting this, but has anyone else, after watching Antoine Brooks Jr. highlights, not being able to help thinking about Troy?  Like, Brooks is the 'poorest' man's Troy Polamalu?  I just get the impression that one some plays, he seems to be SOO far ahead of anyone else on the field as to where an opponent's play is 'going'.  His recognition skills, on some plays, is off the charts. like Troy used to do sometimes...or maybe Shazier is a better comp--I don't know.  But, for a 'slow' dude. Brooks seems to play pretty darn fast.  Some run plays, it appears, that he has 'smelled out' before the snap, and he just rockets through the line for a TFL. And when he does, he's not going for the 'lights out' hit; he just executes a textbook tackle.

I understand they are called 'highlights' for a reason; I suspect he has a lot of bad tape, as well, but I tell you what...I'd be thrilled to take just a dozen plays like that throughout the season, along with some solid STs play/part-time defense.  If we get that out of Brooks Jr., then how awesome would that 6th Rd selection be for us?!?!

But again, he was taken in the 6th Rd for a reason; I get that.  I'm just saying that some of those highlights were reminiscent of Troy, or again, maybe Shazier; I don't expect him to have anywhere near Troy's impact on our D, of course...

Go ahead...fire away, lol...

He is a shorter Marcus Allen but then Allen can tackle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, jebrick said:

He is a shorter Marcus Allen but then Allen can tackle

Yikes, that’s a rough comp. You could very well be right, though. Very similar styles. I didn’t watch a lot of Allen’s game in college so I can’t really remember him as a prospect. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, jebrick said:

He is a shorter Marcus Allen but then Allen can tackle

If he has no advantages over Marcus Allen, then that does not bode well for him making the team, which, as a 6th Rd pick, wouldn't be the worst draft pick in history.  I just thought he looked a bit 'quicker', and able to diagnose pre-snap, better than Marcus, just based upon how quick he got to the runner.  Additionally, without seeing much of Marcus Allen's play on the Steelers, I believe one of Allen's 'cons' was his desire to take big hits, and 'blow up' the ball carrier, ultimately resulting in missed tackles.  One thing I liked seeing from Brooks was how sure of a tackler he was...even if he didn't make the 'hardest' hit on the ball carrier...

Edited by Ward4HOF

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought they got Allen because he blew up the ball carrier.  He can't cover for crap.  Perhaps Brooks is Allen's replacement on ST.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, jebrick said:

I thought they got Allen because he blew up the ball carrier.  He can't cover for crap.  Perhaps Brooks is Allen's replacement on ST.

I always thought that Allen was a WR convert in college and he was on a long-term plan of CB and then if that didn't work, FS.  I may be wrong.

Dude is big and rangy.  He is not a sure tackler or good cover guy, but might be able to play a centerfield role... IDK.

Brooks is more in the box and higher IQ, but less of a pure athlete.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  



×