Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
mwalker

DRAFT PICKS DISCUSSION

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, kurgan said:

I always thought that Allen was a WR convert in college and he was on a long-term plan of CB and then if that didn't work, FS.  I may be wrong.

Dude is big and rangy.  He is not a sure tackler or good cover guy, but might be able to play a centerfield role... IDK.

Brooks is more in the box and higher IQ, but less of a pure athlete.

@jebrickis talking about Marcus Allen not Brian Allen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

But yes, Marcus Allen is a Box SS type.  No INT, no coverage.  Box LB candidate.

Dang, I miss Brian Allen now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, kurgan said:

But yes, Marcus Allen is a Box SS type.  No INT, no coverage.  Box LB candidate.

Dang, I miss Brian Allen now.

Justin Layne has replaced him as my “athletic upside” CB.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Justin Layne has replaced him as my “athletic upside” CB.

I had hoped he would be a great 'sleeper' find in the 3rd...funny how he was ranked higher than Burns...with Layne being a potential late 1st Rd pick, taken in the 3rd, and Burns being a solid 3rd Rd prospect, taken in the 1st...

Artie Burns - Grade = 5.91

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:_0Hlnrgc47YJ:www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/artie-burns%3Fid%3D2555344+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

Justin Layne - Grade = 6.30

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/justin-layne/32194c41-5955-1215-cffc-8abcb8fc6ac5

So, somebody explain to me why Layne did not receive more action in his rookie season, while Burns did?  I don;t believe for a second that Burns was more prepared day 1 of his rookie season than Layne was last season's day 1 of his rookie season???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Ward4HOF said:

I had hoped he would be a great 'sleeper' find in the 3rd...funny how he was ranked higher than Burns...with Layne being a potential late 1st Rd pick, taken in the 3rd, and Burns being a solid 3rd Rd prospect, taken in the 1st...

Artie Burns - Grade = 5.91

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:_0Hlnrgc47YJ:www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/artie-burns%3Fid%3D2555344+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

Justin Layne - Grade = 6.30

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/justin-layne/32194c41-5955-1215-cffc-8abcb8fc6ac5

So, somebody explain to me why Layne did not receive more action in his rookie season, while Burns did?  I don;t believe for a second that Burns was more prepared day 1 of his rookie season than Layne was last season's day 1 of his rookie season???

Burns had to beat out Ross Cockrell.  Layne had Nelson.  I can't speak to Artie being more prepared or not but I felt he had a pretty good Rookie year.  Strangely it was prolly his best year as a pro.  I'll still contend Artie was used incorrectly.  Both he and Layne are Press Man CBs.  They don't play that scheme often.  Maybe they didn't feel Layne showed any Off Man ability in practice but Burns showed some.  Maybe. 

Edited by Chieferific

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Layne was a WR convert and an underclassmen to boot.

IIRC Haden was going into last year of deal leading into draft.

He night Haden successor in a year or two 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Layne was very grabby when on Mich St.  Perhaps he needed to learn some new techniques.  He is good on ST.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also, @Ward4HOF I think they change up the draft grade formula every year or couple of years. It’s confused me before. 

And I agree with @Chieferific here. I think our defense was just overall much better last year. Our defense was a joke when we drafted Burns. We didn’t need Layne to play. It’s hopefully better for him in the long run.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/14/2020 at 4:59 PM, MOSteelers56 said:

@jebrickis talking about Marcus Allen not Brian Allen.

Great running back! I think he’s over the hill though... haha 🤣 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  



×