2020 NFL Draft - Day Three Discussion

RpMc

9 minutes ago, RpMc said:

Isn't that always the case?

We have some fat that can be trimmed along the OL still with younger/cheaper players

Aviante Collins hasn't panned out due to health
Brett Jones/Dakota Dozier aren't anything special and their job can be done by Elflein alone
Rashod Hill is a good swing backup, but on a one year deal, and with how Oli Udoh showed he could play late, he might be out of a job.

Cleveland, Reiff, Bradbury, Samia, O'Neill, and Udoh are the only ones I would guarantee being on the roster; not to mention, the new active roster rule extension is likely to lead to extra lineman being active.

If it’s a long shot, why not grab a couple OL in round 6 or 7 and use the earlier picks for positions where there’s a near certainty that the player makes the team, like DE, S and probably WR. I’m content with the OL if we don’t take one more today.

Edited by vikingsrule

3 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

If it’s a long shot, why not grab a couple OL in round 6 or 7 and use the earlier picks for positions where there’s a near certainty that the player makes the team, like DE, S and probably WR. I’m content with the OL if we don’t take one more today.

Because there's no such thing as a near certainty.

Day 3 should always be about taking the best players on your board with a trait(s) that fit your scheme and can be developed.

If your board is stocked at a position you don't have a need, trade; artificially pushing players down your board because "we have depth there already" isn't how you build a continuously successful, competitive, roster.

Edited by RpMc
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, RpMc said:

Day 3 should always be about taking the best players with a trait(s) that fit your scheme and can be developed.

Which is why we should be grabbing Prince Tega Wanogho.  Perfect scheme fit.  I believe his fall is only because he's scheme specific.

Just now, SemperFeist said:

Let’s go Minnesota connection today!

Tyler Johnson, Ben Bartch, JR Reed, Carter Coughlin, etc. 

I could care less about how good he is, I want Nigel Warrior simply because of his name and Minnesota connections

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RpMc said:

Day 3 should always be about taking the best players on your board with a trait(s) that fit your scheme and can be developed.

Are there any OL that particularly standout though? Seems there’s a lot of depth still at WR, DL, S. I generally agree with your point, just not enthusiastic about the OL options that actually fit the system. Maybe the guy from Wisconsin but how many backup G/C types do we need?

1 minute ago, vikingsrule said:

Are there any OL that particularly standout though? Seems there’s a lot of depth still at WR, DL, S. I generally agree with your point, just not enthusiastic about the OL options that actually fit the system. Maybe the guy from Wisconsin but how many backup G/C types do we need?

Simpson, Bredeson, Bartch would all be good fits and were considered to be late day 2, early day 3 picks.

Just now, Klomp said:

Not familiar with Reed or Warrior.....who are they?

JR Reed is Jake Reed's son, safety from Georgia
Nigel Warrior is Jake Reed's nephew (Dale Carter's son), safety from Tennessee

• Like 1

The number of receivers left in this draft that I think could make an impact as a role player that are still left in this draft is mind-blowing

91. Donovan Peoples-Jones
102 - Tyler Johnson
116. Antonio Gandy-Golden
117. KJ Hill
119. Gabriel Davis
137. Collin Johnson
142. James Proche
152. Isaiah Hodgins
155. John Hightower (lets go get him, draft all the Boise State)
157. Quartney Davis

That's just the first ten...

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, solidvikingfan said:

I don't think Osemele fits a zone blocking scheme though so probably not Udoh either.

Here is the article I mentioned. If you have a few minutes, read it.

https://www.dailynorseman.com/2020/4/2/21203427/minnesota-vikings-next-man-up-ol-oli-udoh

Late add:

In particular the part about Osemele playing for Kubiak in Baltimore and how he did in Kubiak's system is what I was thinking of but the rest of the article is interesting as well. That Udoh started week 17 and Samia didn't also causes me to wonder whether the team sees Udoh as being ahead of Samia in his development.

Edited by Cearbhall
Late Add