2020 NFL Draft - Day Three Discussion

RpMc

Just now, NorthCountryEvo said:

Does he even project to be a guard? I'd like to grab him as a developmental guy, but i wouldn't expect him to step in this year anywhere along the line.

I don't expect anyone from here on out to step in this year and be at all relevant.  I admit I'm probably wrong, but this whole thing makes no sense.

1 minute ago, Cearbhall said:

I don't have a problem with any of the moves by themselves. Individually, they are fine. My problem is more philosophical. I believe that offensive line ought to be one of the strengths of the team and would prioritize it as such. Spielman either disagrees (likely) or is simply incapable of building that identity.

The team still hasn't picked up any good guard prospects for next year. Samia is the best they have. Elflein and Dozier, who wouldn't be good guard prospects for '21 anyway, are both on expiring contracts.

There are a few free agent Guards available in free agency. 

6 minutes ago, NorthCountryEvo said:

I think he is hitting a home run with this draft. Would I like more O-line? Yes... but we are drafting solid every pick that we take and we are grabbing more resources along the way. We already gained another 4th round pick next year, I would be willing to bet we walk out of this draft with 12+ players and even more future picks... and we are still drafting fantastic value and talent.

This is true.  I don't know why I'm so annoyed with the process at this point.  You're right that Rick is having a great draft.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Uncle Buck said:

I don't expect anyone from here on out to step in this year and be at all relevant.  I admit I'm probably wrong, but this whole thing makes no sense.

I think it's a belief in Samia combined with veterans we have and potential veteran Guards on the market. 

Just now, byuvike88 said:

There are a few free agent Guards available in free agency. 

I agree that they need to look at free agency or trades to find guys for this year. At this point in free agency, players mostly sign one year deals. The draft is for finding guys for next year.

1 minute ago, Cearbhall said:

I agree that they need to look at free agency or trades to find guys for this year. At this point in free agency, players mostly sign one year deals. The draft is for finding guys for next year.

Exactly. A veteran guard would probably be better than a rookie guard taken in the 5th round

1 minute ago, byuvike88 said:

I think it's a belief in Samia combined with veterans we have and potential veteran Guards on the market. 

That could be.  I remember hearing a Mike Zimmer interview where I got the impression he would be depending on Samia this season.