2020 NFL Draft - Day Three Discussion

RpMc

24 minutes ago, RpMc said:

Hill could find himself replaced by Udoh this year given his age/contract status, Reiff is still a tackle, and we only have Dakota Dozier as depth at guard - I'd expect at least one more interior lineman to be drafted today.

Jones is also just a bubble player that could easily be replaced with Elflein becoming the swing interior player.

Jones could be replaced by Dozier given that Elflein can play C too. Doesn’t change the likelihood that a rookie OL drafted today will have their work cut out for them. Going against these vets. Especially in an offseason cut short where OL continuity is key. Jones, Dozier and Hill were all here last year.

30 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

We might have too many bodies at OL. Cleveland, O’Neill, Hill and Udoh at Tackle is fine. Reiff, Samia and Elflein at OG. Bradbury and Jones at Center. Honestly, any OL drafted at this point may struggle to make the final roster against some of the vets on the team.

I could easily see Rieff and Hill leaving in the next year or two and they both have trade value if they get beat out by the younger and cheaper guys that we draft.  Our OL has been a weakness and I don’t think adding only one player would be enough of an upgrade.

Once again here is my wishlist for the 4th round:(117,130 & 132)

OL - Tega Wanogho, Tyler Biadasz, John Simpson

WR - Tyler Johnson, Donovan People Jones 

TE - Thad Moss

CB - Darnay Holmes, Reggie Robinson, Amik Robertson

DT - Leki Fotu

QB - Jacob Eason

In the 5th round (155, 169 & 176) I'd like to see any of the above obviously(also dependent on who we pick) or

OL - Saahdiq Charles, Trey Adams, Michael Onwenu

S - JR Reed

CB - Dane Jackson

DL - Nick Coe(project as he doesn't fit the current scheme), Carter Coughlin

3 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

No kidding. The team still has two starting guard spots for '21 up in the air. I would take Simpson and Muti. I wouldn't mind also adding Bartch after that.

Right now the only guy on the team that I believe has a reasonable chance to grow into a starting role at G for '21 is Dru Samia and I have serious doubts about the propect of that happening given the team's lack of playing him last year, or even making him active to be a backup, when the starting guards were out injured.

The team does need a couple more D-line players and DBs too along with another WR. It is a good thing they have 13 picks. 

Samia isn't really a versatile lineman he only played right guard for us and it was always going to be a developmental year for him and Udoh.

2 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Jones could be replaced by Dozier given that Elflein can play C too. Doesn’t change the likelihood that a rookie OL drafted today will have their work cut out for them. Going against these vets. Especially in an offseason cut short where OL continuity is key. Jones, Dozier and Hill were all here last year.

Isn't that always the case?

We have some fat that can be trimmed along the OL still with younger/cheaper players

Aviante Collins hasn't panned out due to health
Brett Jones/Dakota Dozier aren't anything special and their job can be done by Elflein alone
Rashod Hill is a good swing backup, but on a one year deal, and with how Oli Udoh showed he could play late, he might be out of a job.

Cleveland, Reiff, Bradbury, Samia, O'Neill, and Udoh are the only ones I would guarantee being on the roster; not to mention, the new active roster rule extension is likely to lead to extra lineman being active.

1 minute ago, Heimdallr said:

can Hill or Udoh play guard? Hill has always looked good and has moved around

It's been talked about Udoh potentially doing that and being an Kelechi Osemele style of guard.

28 minutes ago, VIKINGS101011 said:

No Donovan Peoples Jones fans here? Feels like he’s usually gone at this point in mocks. I havent watched much of him but people that like him say he was misused at Michigan and could be a steal. 

I have him on my list of wants

• Like 1

Just now, RpMc said:

It's been talked about Udoh potentially doing that and being an Kelechi Osemele style of guard.

Yep yep. There was an interesting article in, I think, the Daily Norseman, a month or so ago that talked about the possibility. It is hard to say whether that is something that may actually happen without OTAs.

Just now, Heimdallr said:

I'd like Fromm. Just a solid career backup - but you need a good backup too.

True, but people thought that about Cousins when he came into the league as well.  But yeah I would take Fromm all day over Sean Mannion as the backup or Browning.  I would be fine with Eason as well, that kid can sling it.

Just now, RpMc said:

I could see Alohi Gilman as a target today with his movement ability and the fact that he showed a little versatility lining up at corner during the senior bowl.

I agree he should absolutely be targeted by the Vikings 4th round, big time hitter with a great feel for the game.  

• Like 1