49ers trade for Trent Williams

49erurtaza

39 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

You'll love having Trent. He's a beast. Was my favorite Redskins player for years. I'll miss him but I hope he wins a Super Bowl with you guys.

Also, I don't think you'll get a third round compensation pick because he has 10+years of service. I think at most its a fifth. 

Thanks for your comments. Trent has big shoes to fill that's for sure but I'm happy he's the next guy at that position. 

It's tragic that the Redskins have done so little for so long now, and it can't be coincidence that it has been dreadful since Snyder took ownership. I really miss that Washington has not been part of the big picture all these years. I fondly remember admiring and hating them (purely based on fear) at the same time during the late 80s and early 90s when you had greats like Art Monk and Gary Clark at receiver, Russ Grimm and Joe Jacoby on the O line and Charles Mann and crazy Dexter Manley on the D line. 

The Redskin resurrection is long overdue. Hopefully Ron Rivera and his staff get your franchise back on track. 

• Like 1

I am stoked we got Trent Williams, especially with Joe retiring. The only thing that gives me pause is the fact that Trent wants to wait to renegotiate, which points to the direction of him commanding a lot of money in the off season and then taking off....another rental player.

That being said, even if it is a one year rental, it does give us a player that can step in for Joe and play at a high level, while at the same time also give us another year to watch our current O-line group develop and see if the next LT (outside of a possible Trent extension) is on the roster.

27 minutes ago, P_locniners said:

I am stoked we got Trent Williams, especially with Joe retiring. The only thing that gives me pause is the fact that Trent wants to wait to renegotiate, which points to the direction of him commanding a lot of money in the off season and then taking off....another rental player.

That being said, even if it is a one year rental, it does give us a player that can step in for Joe and play at a high level, while at the same time also give us another year to watch our current O-line group develop and see if the next LT (outside of a possible Trent extension) is on the roster.

Even if he is a rental, for a team with SB aspirations we couldn't afford to gamble on in-house candidates while chasing a ring. It's worth the price, considering the caliber of player we got. Very few OTs could give us what Joe did and we found one that may actually be better in 2020. And if he walks, we at least get a 5th round comp pick out of it so we essentially rented a All-Pro LT for a year, for a future 3rd. I can live with that...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, P_locniners said:

I agree that’s my one major concern, that he could be a rental. Hoping he isn’t especially with the Cap raising next year and our more than likely “need” at corner pending on if anyone makes that next stride...looking at you Witherspoon. 

• Like 1

Even if Trent Williams is a rental, here is a breakdown of the full trade  when you really think about it given that a piece of the Williams trade was part of the manny trade

Gave up

• 2020 3rd
  • 2020 4th
  • 2021 3rd

Got:

• Rental Manny
  • 1 year of Trent Williams
  • 2021 5th (likely comp for Manny)
  • 2022 5th (likely comp for Trent if not resigned)

Well worth it

1 hour ago, Forge said:

Even if Trent Williams is a rental, here is a breakdown of the full trade  when you really think about it given that a piece of the Williams trade was part of the manny trade

Gave up

• 2020 3rd
  • 2020 4th
  • 2021 3rd

Got:

• Rental Manny
  • 1 year of Trent Williams
  • 2021 5th (likely comp for Manny)
  • 2022 5th (likely comp for Trent if not resigned)

Well worth it

If it all equates to a Super Bowl victory and bringing home the long overdue 6th Lombardi for the 2020 season, absolutely!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

If it all equates to a Super Bowl victory and bringing home the long overdue 6th Lombardi for the 2020 season, absolutely!

If everything is binary based solely on whether or not we win a super bowl, there are a lot of decisions that simply aren't worth it. Drafting Joe Staley isn't worth it. Drafting Patrick willis. Bowman. Frank Gore. Etc etc. 

• Like 2

The more I read about this trade, the more I am convinced the Niners will bring back Trent on a long term contract.

- Trent squashed deals from the Rams and I believe two other teams

- Seemed to welcome the trade to SF knowing full well we were too strapped for cash this season to get a long term deal done

-Lynch coming out and saying no rush to get a deal done and Trent being onboard with that , probably because the cap increase next season will open up the opportunity for us to make Trent a the top paid, or close to it, LT in football

- Trent would get his money and stay with a winning team under a coach he is familiar with while still making 12 million this year, just seems like everything fits at this point. 

15 minutes ago, P_locniners said:

The more I read about this trade, the more I am convinced the Niners will bring back Trent on a long term contract.

- Seemed to welcome the trade to SF knowing full well we were too strapped for cash this season to get a long term deal done

-Lynch coming out and saying no rush to get a deal done and Trent being onboard with that , probably because the cap increase next season will open up the opportunity for us to make Trent a the top paid, or close to it, LT in football

- Trent would get his money and stay with a winning team under a coach he is familiar with while still making 12 million this year, just seems like everything fits at this point. 

That depends on what happens this year... if there is no football or no fans allowed in stadiums the cap could go down. 

7 hours ago, P_locniners said:

Not saying what he plans to do but choosing the 9ers over other teams can come down simply to winning this season

Edited by Motion

13 hours ago, Ftn49 said:

That depends on what happens this year... if there is no football or no fans allowed in stadiums the cap could go down. 

If people are still in quarantine and there is football going on, the TV ratings are going to be off the charts. You will have non-sport fans looking for new content, as Hollywood is shut down right now too. 

its going to be massive.

ticket and beer sales are important, but not that important

6 hours ago, Motion said:

Not saying what he plans to do but choosing the 9ers over other teams can come down simply to winning this season

I think its also a comfort thing. He knew what he was getting into here. There has been a lot of talk about our locker room here. Rams wanted him to play G for one season. I was actually shocked they didn't add a guard or do anything of value with their OL, which was absolutely their achilleas heal last year, which honestly says to me they thought they would get Williams LOL

The more I think about this trade the more I like our offseason overall. We really did a great job suplimenting talent while not compromising our long term sustainability. It was one cohesive plan that fit together incredibly well. All of the moves we made, were made in conjunction with one another. it was well put together as far as awareness to our immediate and long term needs and what capital we had, based on what was available in the market place.