49ers trade for Trent Williams

49erurtaza

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

Yes, most likely. One or two. Or moving to more of a per game structure that we are so fond of. 

If Staley is retiring, i don't know why we need to restructure it though. We would have enough money. 

Maybe it means he isn't retiring?!  (Insert emoji of praying hands here!)  

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

Yes, most likely. One or two. Or moving to more of a per game structure that we are so fond of. 

If Staley is retiring, i don't know why we need to restructure it though. We would have enough money. 

You're reading the situation wrong. Restructuring to please Williams since he's not getting a LT deal. So increase his salary for 2020 season. 

Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

You're reading the situation wrong. Restructuring to please Williams since he's not getting a LT deal. So increase his salary for 2020 season. 

If you're doing that, you almost have to add voidable years. 

There's something about this regime where they are just damn good at acquiring talent even with a flawed process. Like so many decisions I disagree with but then you look at the roster and it is absolutely stacked. So many annoying traits from Shanny, complete 1st round mess in year one and here we are, poised for another SB run. 

Love dealing late round picks for proven players. More effective than handing out big money in FA IMO. Rent them, and then recoup a compensation pick. This type of strategy forces you to hit on your draft picks though and last year's draft looks like a homerun. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Forge said:

I'm not sure how I feel about this entire hot mess. Think J is right that we are probably giving him a raise as the basis for the restructure. 

I'm with you but that's only because we haven't heard from Staley and I don't know how all the pieces fit right now..

I figured Staley might play one more year. I don't think it's a forgone conclusion that he's definitely retiring. Don't know what the conversation with Williams were...maybe they asked to play RG for a year and will reward him with a new LT deal in 2021? Just not sure where we are with this right now to say whether or not I like it.

4 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

There's something about this regime where they are just damn good at acquiring talent even with a flawed process. Like so many decisions I disagree with but then you look at the roster and it is absolutely stacked. So many annoying traits from Shanny, complete 1st round mess in year one and here we are, poised for another SB run. 

Love dealing late round picks for proven players. More effective than handing out big money in FA IMO. Rent them, and then recoup a compensation pick. This type of strategy forces you to hit on your draft picks though and last year's draft looks like a homerun. 

I think that's just the unorthodox run and gun style of this new management. Makes you shake your head but at the end of the day the team is stacked lol. 

7 minutes ago, Forge said:

We have now lol

And now with that clarity, we moved on from great LT to another. It makes sense BUT should we have went OT with the first pick Thursday? I'm sure Staley told them before the draft so they knew. I get Williams is a All-Pro but All-Pro's command All-Pro money and we already have some extensions to give out to our own guys. I assume they just didn't feel comfortable throwing a rookie into the fire with a team trying to get back to the SB. Not that hate the move...not at all. But you have to look at the Kinlaw pick...a position on the team that's already strength, and wonder if we played it right.

Edited by 757-NINER

So uh how much are we going to be paying him this year? 15 million? It doesn't seem like his 20 mil is feasible.

And I guess Kittles extension is going to get pushed to next year? Not sure how much I am comfortable with that.

1 minute ago, 757-NINER said:

And now with that clarity, we moved on from great LT to another. It makes sense BUT should we have went OT with the first pick Thursday? I'm sure Staley told them before the draft so they knew. I get Williams is a All-Pro but All-Pro's command All-Pro money and we already have some extensions to give out to our own guys. I assume they just didn't feel comfortable throwing a rookie into the fire with a team trying to get back to the SB. Not that hate the move...not at all. But you have to look at the Kinlaw pick...a position on the team that's already strength, and wonder if we played it right.

If Thomas or Wills was there yeah we should have gone with them. Wirfs is probably more of a OG in the NFL and can play OT but i really doubt how ready he is to step right in at LT.

Congrats on the great pick up.

For a 5th and a future 3rd, tremendous move by John and Kyle.

I know you all are money strapped a bit, but this helps preserve the window as if Trent Williams wasn't a top 4 LT when healthy he certainly is the best Tackle in the league at wide and inside zone based on Bill Callahan's cut ups and of Trent's ability to always "Take Two on the Move" when working wide and to the 2nd level.

What a wonderful career out of Joe Staley who a lot of people thought was just draft hype.

Edited by Mind Character
  • Like 8