49ers trade for Trent Williams

49erurtaza

1 hour ago, John232 said:

Really sad about Staley. I hated the pick when we made it but I was so wrong and I have loved the guy so much. I think he has a pretty good repuation and might end up in the hall of fame, but he's certainly one of the best lineman we've ever had. Absolute loss.

Love to get Trent Williams though. When healthy he's a top 4 tackle. 

2007 was the first draft i really got into, knowing the prospects, watching it on TV, etc. I still remember the epic Willis vs Carriker debates for pick 11 

I was so pissed we traded a future 1st for Staley, IIRC he was a bit of a boom or bust prospect. But we took him so the Ravens couldn't. 

Turns out it may have been one of our best draft day trades ever. I'd do it again in a heartbeat. One of my fave niners of all time. Gona miss him and devastated we couldn't get him a ring :( 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

There's something about this regime where they are just damn good at acquiring talent even with a flawed process. Like so many decisions I disagree with but then you look at the roster and it is absolutely stacked. So many annoying traits from Shanny, complete 1st round mess in year one and here we are, poised for another SB run. 

Love dealing late round picks for proven players. More effective than handing out big money in FA IMO. Rent them, and then recoup a compensation pick. This type of strategy forces you to hit on your draft picks though and last year's draft looks like a homerun. 

100% right. Its so weird that we bust on BOTH 2017 1st round picks, have made wasteful trade ups for Pettis/Betheard/Williams, paid McKinnon big $ for zero on field impact, always seem to tip our hand on guys/positions we want to draft to certain insiders (King, Maiocco)

the team is stacked, we have great cap flexibility, get fair trade value on our trades for vets (Garappolo, Ford, Sanders, Williams), fair value on our trade backs (Bears 2017, Bucs 2020), do extremely well in the 5th-7th round & UDFA, and a solid job coaching/developing. 

Somehow through it all, through the bad, through wasting two first rounders, we have a competitive team with a good mix of young players & seasoned vets who love it here, have a good long-term outlook, and are ready to compete for another SB in 2020.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

100% right. Its so weird that we bust on BOTH 2017 1st round picks, have made wasteful trade ups for Pettis/Betheard/Williams, paid McKinnon big $ for zero on field impact, always seem to tip our hand on guys/positions we want to draft to certain insiders (King, Maiocco)

the team is stacked, we have great cap flexibility, get fair trade value on our trades for vets (Garappolo, Ford, Sanders, Williams), fair value on our trade backs (Bears 2017, Bucs 2020), do extremely well in the 5th-7th round & UDFA, and a solid job coaching/developing. 

Somehow through it all, through the bad, through wasting two first rounders, we have a competitive team with a good mix of young players & seasoned vets who love it here, have a good long-term outlook, and are ready to compete for another SB in 2020.

This is why trades for proven players work. Doesn't mean you can strictly rely on that as you need to hit on picks and have quality players on rookie deals. But there is a reason the Ravens operate in a similar matter and have a great front office. 

The depth on this team is insane and I feel that is mainly all Peters and his team. Early in the draft, Shanny has a big say on who we draft. Late picks, UDFAs, AAF signings etc is what Peters and his crew handle and thrive at. 

• Like 5

So our beloved franchise has a stacked roster, and success in the league revolves among other things around how well you use the salary cap. Get it wrong and you can put your playoff hopes on the back burner for a long time. Get it right and get the players who can help you immediately (even if it's just for one season) and your chances improve considerably. 

You can't build a roster that's going to stay together for years on end, not even four years. So your window of opportunity to make it to the Super Bowl is within a four year time span IMO. But it's a moving four year time span, so you have to have incredible flexibility. 

We made it last year against all expectations, but now our expectations have changed and we believe we can make it back there again quickly. That's not going to happen if you replace the great Joe Staley with a rookie e.g Tristan Wirfs, because he's going to need time to learn the offense for a few years and your window is only four years long. 

But it can happen if you replace a great player with another great player, especially one who is familiar with the offensive scheme of his new head coach. 

So taking Trent Williams (on a potential one year rental) for a fifth round pick in essence (if we end up with a 3rd round comp pick in 2021 if he moves on to bigger money elsewhere) is an absolute no brainer to me. 

With all due respect to Tristan Wirfs, and I wish him all the best and a great career, but the Niners are not going back to the Super Bowl without a proven starting left tackle. 

P. S. How ironic would it be if we make it back to the NFCCG only to have to face Tom Brady being protected by Wirfs. Stranger things have happened 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

Good!

Actually smart move on his part. He's been out of football for over a yr. He can't get Tunsil money even on a short term deal right now. Now if he shows the league he's still a top notch LT this season...next off-season even at 33 he could still get 3 or 4 yr deal at 21-22M per yr. Lol prob not us though. If we had done a deal right now it would be way less and more incentive base. 

1 hour ago, 49erurtaza said:

Good!

So glad to read this. This was not an acquisition that I wanted, but with Joe retired, and a 1 year audition?

Huge double-thumbs-up-smiley-emoticon.gif !!!!

I thought Trent's good days were over, after having watched him up close for the Skins in 2018. I really hope his best is reignited by the 1 yr audition and new environment. 

6 hours ago, uk9erfan said:

So our beloved franchise has a stacked roster, and success in the league revolves among other things around how well you use the salary cap. Get it wrong and you can put your playoff hopes on the back burner for a long time. Get it right and get the players who can help you immediately (even if it's just for one season) and your chances improve considerably. 

You can't build a roster that's going to stay together for years on end, not even four years. So your window of opportunity to make it to the Super Bowl is within a four year time span IMO. But it's a moving four year time span, so you have to have incredible flexibility. 

We made it last year against all expectations, but now our expectations have changed and we believe we can make it back there again quickly. That's not going to happen if you replace the great Joe Staley with a rookie e.g Tristan Wirfs, because he's going to need time to learn the offense for a few years and your window is only four years long. 

But it can happen if you replace a great player with another great player, especially one who is familiar with the offensive scheme of his new head coach. 

So taking Trent Williams (on a potential one year rental) for a fifth round pick in essence (if we end up with a 3rd round comp pick in 2021 if he moves on to bigger money elsewhere) is an absolute no brainer to me. 

With all due respect to Tristan Wirfs, and I wish him all the best and a great career, but the Niners are not going back to the Super Bowl without a proven starting left tackle. 

P. S. How ironic would it be if we make it back to the NFCCG only to have to face Tom Brady being protected by Wirfs. Stranger things have happened 

Yes! Excellent post! 

7 hours ago, uk9erfan said:

The thing that sucks is that with the new playoff structure the chance of getting a first round BYE are super low now. 6/7 teams have to play 3 straight to get to the Super Bowl compared to 4/6. Just when the 49ers got good again, more bull****. 

Edited by PapaShogun

On 4/25/2020 at 3:00 PM, uk9erfan said:

You'll love having Trent. He's a beast. Was my favorite Redskins player for years. I'll miss him but I hope he wins a Super Bowl with you guys.

Also, I don't think you'll get a third round compensation pick because he has 10+years of service. I think at most its a fifth. 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

You'll love having Trent. He's a beast. Was my favorite Redskins player for years. I'll miss him but I hope he wins a Super Bowl with you guys.

Also, I don't think you'll get a third round compensation pick because he has 10+years of service. I think at most its a fifth. 

Let's just hope we get him re-signed and don't have to worry about a compensation pick!