49ers trade for Trent Williams

49erurtaza

15 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

We better get a good next contract out of this guy we are setting everything up so we have good faith with him.

I've maintained that I don't see Williams sticking around beyond this season. I don't believe we'll give him what he'll be looking for in terms of money.

I always looked at this trade as a opportunity to get extended looks and further evals for the guys we have already in-house. Williams presence allows us to not have to worry about a drop in play@LT while we're in the midst of another playoff run. If Williams is resigned, I'll be shocked honestly. I fully expect him to be in another uni in 2021, while either Brunskill, Coleman, Skule and/or a high draft pick, compete for the LT spot.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

I've maintained that I don't see Williams sticking around beyond this season. I don't believe we'll give him what he'll be looking for in terms of money.

I always looked at this trade as a opportunity to get extended looks and further evals for the guys we have already in-house. Williams presence allows us to not have to worry about a drop in play@LT while we're in the midst of another playoff run. If Williams is resigned, I'll be shocked honestly. I fully expect him to be in another uni in 2021, while either Brunskill, Coleman, Skule and/or a high draft pick, compete for the LT spot.

My only issue is trading future picks for them to walk like Sanders. That's how you deplete talent. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

My only issue is trading future picks for them to walk like Sanders. That's how you deplete talent. 

Not if you continue to draft well though. We needed Sanders to help strengthen the young WR core last year and it paid off in a trip to the SB. A third and fifth for a elite LT is peanuts, all things considered. If it helps us secure another SB berth, it will be well worth it. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

Not if you continue to draft well though. We needed Sanders to help strengthen the young WR core last year and it paid off in a trip to the SB. A third and fifth for a elite LT is peanuts, all things considered. If it helps us secure another SB berth, it will be well worth it. 

Agreed. I broke it down in another thread, but you can ostensibly break down the finality of the trade like this: 

49ers trade: 

• 2020 third
  • 2020 fourth
  • 2021 third

49ers receive:

• One year of Manny Sanders
  • One year of Trent Williams
  • 2021 Fifth round pick (comp from Manny)
  • Likely 2022 Fifth round pick (comp from Trent Williams as I feel it's unlikely we will be active in free agency to skew that)

That's really not bad. 

• Like 1

I rarely have an issue with using draft capital to secure proven talent, yet alone elite ones. 

I will take issue more often than not, with using draft capital to secure draft picks because those players haven't proven themselves worthy to sacrifice other potential players. So you absolutely have to hit on those picks in those instances.

• Like 1