Pick #109 is in: G, John Simpson, Clemson

RaidersAreOne

6 minutes ago, Mr Raider said:

I haven't looked at guards extensively, but he is a guy a lot of the media really liked in this range. And the 3rd to 4th round can really be the sweet spot for finding high level guard play. I'm on board always with OL depth and continuing to have guys in the wings that can take over for a guy thats overpaid (Jackson) or aging (Incognito). Carr requires a high functioning OL and Jacobs will enjoy running behind this guy. Very good pick IMO. He falls into the category of picks I really like along with Ruggs (even I would have preferred Lamb) and Edwards. I like the Arnette pick. I'm lukewarm on Boden, and wasn't a huge fan of where we took Muse though I do love his athletic upside at LB down the road I would have preferred a guy that can bring more to the table sooner. 

I don't think it will take Muse that long to to play.

He did play a little LB in college and he was a box safety.

Glad we didnt neglect taking a Olinemen. We have one of the best in the league, I would hate to let it deteriorate.  Simpson should be an excellent replacement for Incognito, and personally I'd keep Gabe, move him back to his natural LG position and plug Simpson into RG. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, OldManWillis said:

Glad we didnt neglect taking a Olinemen. We have one of the best in the league, I would hate to let it deteriorate.  Simpson should be an excellent replacement for Incognito, and personally I'd keep Gabe, move him back to his natural LG position and plug Simpson into RG. 

Exactly, hopefully with a year seasoning behind a great player like Incognito he'll be ready to take over when we need him to seamlessly. With Good also in the fold we should have some very decent depth too.   

2 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

Exactly, hopefully with a year seasoning behind a great player like Incognito he'll be ready to take over when we need him to seamlessly. With Good also in the fold we should have some very decent depth too.   

I'm a little worried about Tackle depth if Brown or Miller go down. At least Interior depth is nice.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, OldManWillis said:

I'm a little worried about Tackle depth if Brown or Miller go down. At least Interior depth is nice.

Me too, I believe Sharpe to be an ok swing tackle and he looked pretty decent to me at RT when given the chance but I really haven't seen anything from Parker and he's almost kept his roster spot by default due to lack of options. We really need to add some competition at least I feel. I haven't really looked into OT prospects so I'm not going to pretend to know who's out there with high ceilings that we may take a swing on late.

18 minutes ago, OldManWillis said:

I think they should get Good ready to step into a RT role in case of injury to Trent. He played there before.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OldManWillis said:

I think the plan is to move on from Jackson, Williams, and Joyner after the season to save $29M and replace those three with Simpson, Edwards, and Robertson. 

• Like 2

Just now, NYRaider said:

I think the plan is to move on from Jackson, Williams, and Joyner after the season to save $29M and replace those three with Simpson, Edwards, and Robertson. 

It's refreshing we no longer have to force later draft picks into a starting position right off the bat. They will see some time but shouldn't be relied on heavily.

• Like 1

Just now, RaidersAreOne said:

It's refreshing we no longer have to force later draft picks into a starting position right off the bat. They will see some time but shouldn't be relied on heavily.

Yup. The only two rookies that will be expected to be starters will be Ruggs/Arnette.