Pick #109 is in: G, John Simpson, Clemson

RaidersAreOne

3 hours ago, Turnobili said:
3 hours ago, Turnobili said:

i think your list has the 9 best linemen, but it ultimately makes more sense to have 4 tackles than 4 guards (especially since Devey also plays both spots, so effectively 5 guards). will be interesting to see how things unfold given the changes to game day rosters and practice squad rules. has Good actually played RT in the NFL?

i think your list has the 9 best linemen, but it ultimately makes more sense to have 4 tackles than 4 guards (especially since Devey also plays both spots, so effectively 5 guards). will be interesting to see how things unfold given the changes to game day rosters and practice squad rules. has Good actually played RT in the NFL?

that's why i think they keep 10

I’m assuming Gabe will be our starter this year. Then we’ll cut him next year (doubt we even get a 7th with his contract). Then Simpson takes over. Simpson is not a depth pick, he should definitely be a starter after developing a year. He’s also tremendous depth if Richie or Gabe get injured or Gabe underperforms. 

I think people overlooks the fact that Simpson is a LG and Gabe is currently at RG for us.

I think Simpson is here to learn a year and then take over from Incognito at LG.

D.Good is our back up at RG, who could start if needed. I think if we were to trade (not likely anymore) or cut (not likely IMO) Gabe, not the rookie LG, but the veteran RG would take over. 

I also think that this is a break or make year for Gabe and he is not that sure cut as people think he is. He is still only 28, he had some really good years and was servicable last year after comeing in late after an injury. I can believe that he was shopped around this offseason, since we had Good behind him, but I also think that he will be evaluted after the 2020 again and if he plays good football he will stay with his 9,6M salary.  

• Like 3

Simpson played LG at Clemson, with Richie's age, why move Gabe to have Simpson take over there?  

Simpson LG of the future, and Gabe at RG is year-to-year. I think the ship has sailed on trading Gabe, Mayock was pretty adamant that Gabe is his RG, and we have the cap space in '21 to keep him if he bounces back.  

'21 could be Simpson/Gabe, or Simpson/Good.  I'm cool with that.  

• Like 5

5 hours ago, oakdb36 said:

Iirc, Gabe allowed 3 sacks in his first 4 years and 10 sacks over the last 2. Sure, he was injured last season but he has regressed.

i think part of this too can just be the way teams scheme against us as well.
in his first 4 years, we had some weakspots on the line.. and teams would expose those weaknesses. 
this past year, our line was pretty amazing, and maybe teams took more chances at targeting Gabe?

similar to if you have an elite CB, your other CB is going to be tested more.
when you start brandon parker at Tackle, teams may blitz from there, instead of up the middle at Gabe?
Crazy to think he could be our worst strating olineman. 

I also think the injury was bigger than they let on, same with jacobs.

• Like 2

Also it seems like LG was his natural position and this RG thing is not that natural for him. I kinda think the Osemele pick up and the switch to RG and the injuries hurt him big time.

2020 is his year to prove IMO. If he can bounce back and show up on tape, put together a top 15 OG year, he stays. If he struggles again I can see them cut him early, resign Good as stop gap and go after another young OG in the middle of next years draft.

• Like 2

On 4/29/2020 at 10:27 AM, massraider said:

Simpson played LG at Clemson, with Richie's age, why move Gabe to have Simpson take over there?  

Simpson LG of the future, and Gabe at RG is year-to-year. I think the ship has sailed on trading Gabe, Mayock was pretty adamant that Gabe is his RG, and we have the cap space in '21 to keep him if he bounces back.  

i think LG/RG are considered to be more interchangeable than LT and RT, so that's not too big a concern. Gabe started out as LG and played well there. moved to RG and played well there before getting hurt.

if Gabe plays at 2015-2016 levels i'd be thrilled to have him back next season even at his price tag. but if he has another middling year, i'd see if i can move him for any mid-late pick and promote whoever of Good/Simpson is the better option at that point. if Incognito declines (dudes old) i wouldnt mind starting both of those guys, and then drafting another guard 

On 4/29/2020 at 7:27 AM, massraider said:

I would just keep Simpson as LG to keep it simple. Let him redshirt and provide interior depth. Simpson should be ready take over in 2021. Maybe 2022 at the latest if Richie somehow has an all pro season, just pancaking guys every week. I also think Gabe might be able to bounce back, it will be a make or break year for him. Perhaps he has a solid year, would could ask him to take a pay cut or kick rocks. Not like he is 35, he could have a bounce back season. 

Edited by Humble_Beast