RpMc

4.117 - MIN: DJ Wonnum EDGE/South Carolina

Wonnum caught my eye when I was watching cut ups of Kinlaw. Really huge motor to go along with exciting athleticism and length. You could do worst for upside pick. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, byuvike88 said:

Don't know much about him but seems like there could have been better value at 117

Don't forget that Zimmer is good at taking good athletes and making them into excellent NFL linebackers and defensive linemen.  I think the 162nd and 182nd ratings are heavily weighted towards readiness for immediate help at that position, while Spielmann and Zimmer are more interested in taking great athletes and molding them into the type of player they want.  This deep in the draft it's better to take players with a high upside than players with a marginally higher floor, and a much lower ceiling, ESPECIALLY IF HE'S A PLAYER TO BE MOLDED AND TAUGHT TO PLAY A POSITION TO WHICH YOUR STAFF IS EXCELLENT AT TEACHING TECHNIQUE.

I think that was a huge factor in the choices of Wonnum, Lynch, and Dye, as well.

Edited by Robb_K

Posted (edited)

Every pick now is drafting the best athletes for development into what Zimmer thinks will be that player's optimum role that The Vikings think they are good at teaching.   

But, I didn't like the fact that they passed on several WR burners.

Edited by Robb_K

What about Harrison Hand?  He's got decent size.  Does he have good recovery speed?  7.15 on the cone.   41 vertical jump.   Does he project as an NFL possible starter?

2 minutes ago, Robb_K said:

What about Harrison Hand?  He's got decent size.  Does he have good recovery speed?  7.15 on the cone.   41 vertical jump.   Does he project as an NFL possible starter?

wrong thread bud.

27 minutes ago, Klomp said:

pretty much what i expected. we took him earlier than our usual late-round toolsy EDGE habit but he still fits the mold for an athletic guy for Patterson to build up. makes you wonder if they really rated him as a much better "ball of clay" to mold than the rest of the EDGE class, considering we took him relatively early for a guy that was waaay down the consensus board.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Wonnum reminds me of Weatherly. Weatherly’s tape at Vanderbilt similarly had him playing as both a standup OLB and down DE, sometimes dropping into coverage.

Like Weatherly, Wonnum is tall and looks athletic but he doesn’t change directions quickly and often seems a beat slow to react. Ends up dancing with blockers without disengaging or pushing them back. Makes some plays in pursuit and with second effort but isn’t often winning with his first move.

Weatherly got quite a bit better under Patterson but was still a somewhat limited and inconsistent player. He’s a good rotational / backup DE though, and deserved the contract he got from the Panthers ($12.5M/2). Hardly any 7th round picks do that well.

If Wonnum can develop similarly, that will be excellent value for a 4th round pick. But I wouldn’t expect him to become a DE2 level starter. 

Edited by Krauser

6 minutes ago, Krauser said:

If Wonnum can develop similarly, that will be excellent value for a 4th round pick. But I wouldn’t expect him to become a DE2 level starter. 

yeah, my hope for him is that he can come in on obvious passing downs (hopefully earlier than later) and push Odenigbo inside, like we did with Griffen and Robison before him. 

obviously you'd like to see him develop further so he can take on a bigger role down the road but we do need him to contribute and be effective in his limited snaps early on.

“His football intelligence is off the charts,” Muschamp said. “D.J. is a guy, you can walk in the meeting room and say, ‘You’re a curl/flat defender. Match two to the flat.’ You can talk through that, and it’s done. And in the National Football League, because of the collective bargaining agreement a while back, they’re limited on the field with what they can do, so that limits you sometimes schematically.

“He’s a guy that can learn and play multiple spots, but he also gives you special teams value.”

Muschamp pointed out how in his time with the Miami Dolphins, the staff tracked percentage of snaps as a measure of value. With his ability to remain on the field on three- of four-down looks, plus multiple special teams units, Wonnum might be able to show well there in the NFL.

The Georgia product was a recruiting find in Muschamp’s first USC offseason, flipping from Indiana in a frantic shortened push to signing day. He was in the rotation as a backup Buck within a few games, the easy heir apparent to a starting role by season’s end.

Wonnum went on to be a two-time captain. He posted 137 tackles, 29 1/2 for loss (ninth in school history) and 14 sacks, six as a sophomore and 4 1/2 last season. He did that despite missing the majority of his junior season with a range of ailments.

As I said in the KJ Osborn thread, digging into the less known/reach guys is one of my most favorite things to do after the draft.

24 minutes ago, RpMc said:

As I said in the KJ Osborn thread, digging into the less known/reach guys is one of my most favorite things to do after the draft.

The common theme among these day 3 draft picks: high character, high football passion, high work ethic, high leadership qualities.

Vikings area big analytics team but fans forget that analytics also applies to the mental aspect of the prospect; not just his physical abilities. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, swede700 said:

Is that mental analytics or mental gymnastics?

Gymlytics ;)

On 4/28/2020 at 10:00 AM, battle2heaven said:

Vikings area big analytics team but fans forget that analytics also applies to the mental aspect of the prospect; not just his physical abilities. 

i remember someone from the team said something along the lines of, "our analytics said danielle hunter was the perfect prospect" and obviously he's a physical specimen but his mentality is top notch too: hard-working, humble, smart (i'm assuming). they obviously have things like passion for football in their analytics but i wouldn't be surprised if they included things like loyalty, family values, etc. 

obviously it's fairly common sense that if all talent/ability are equal, the intangible things like passion, work ethic, etc. will be the difference between two prospects. it's just really cool that they've been able to quantify those intangible qualities and use them in their decision making. in earlier rounds i can see talent might be weighed more heavily but in later rounds the difference in talent levels are so much closer that i like them especially going after the character guys late.

So this was an interesting pick because we all knew the Vikings were going to target an athletic edge in the mid rounds, we just didn't really know who they liked the best. Obviously, it was Wonnum. But these are the Edge players drafted in the 4th and 5th rounds:

DJ Wonnum

Khalid Kareem

Alton Robinson

Trevis Gipson

Curtis Weaver

Michael Danna

Bradley Anae

Looking over this list, we can probably eliminate Anae from lack of athleticism. Robinson had off field DV issues that probably dropped him from the Vikings board.  Weaver doesn't really have the length and bad body composition, although his 7.72 RAS isn't bad; helped heavily by pretty elite agility scores which bodes well for ankle flexibility and bending the edge.

From this list, who would you have taken over Wonnum? Should be interesting to track their careers and see if the Vikings made the right choice since they had their pick of any one of these players.

IMO. it was probably between Wonnum, Kareem and Gipson. I wish we had testing numbers on Kareem because I liked him the best going into the draft; I thought he utilize length well and showed he could convert speed to power.

Some Wonnum plays that highlight his potential:

Too much speed for the RT, closes in for the sack

Sheds the tight end and makes the tackle on the rusher

Senior Bowl, lines up RDE. Engages LT, uses his bear paws to disengage and beats him to the edge for the would be sack

He gets a late his flag here because he didn't know they blew the whistle, but he's the RDE, again uses his hands well, beats the LT with speed and displays closing speed to get to the QB

Here he is shedding the OL and making the TFL

• Like 1