4.117 - MIN: DJ Wonnum EDGE/South Carolina

RpMc

After Gipson and Taylor (who went much earlier) there wasn’t a lot of 3-5th round edge players that I liked. In terms of the defensive line, particularly on the edge, the team has earned my trust with the players they target, so I’m excited to see what they do with a player of his background as a stand up edge, a blitzing interior backer, and other varied spots. 

from all reports, he’s incredibly football intelligent which likely means a quick transition into the scheme and a faster application of his physical abilities. 

16 hours ago, RpMc said:

Another awesome Ben Leber breakdown about where Wonnum excels. 

That’s a great breakdown at the little things the Vikings potentially see in him. I’m going to defer to Patterson for this one. Excited to see what they can do with his ability. I love an edge with heavy hands and the ability to get those tackles to detach their grip on you. 

It'd be interesting to see how Wonnum's production and grading looks from a 2-point vs 3-point stance. 

It's interesting that he had such mediocre production and grades if his hands are this good. Maybe he spent too much time playing contain or mush rushing?

PFF has a thing called "true pass sets" for OTs that ignores moving pockets and quick screens, looking only at straight dropbacks where the QB holds the ball more than 2 seconds or whatever. Maybe they could come up with the same kind of stat for pass rushers. 

I remember reading/hearing that he played their Buck linebacker spot. In Muschamp’s defense, that player moves all over the place and is often used off the ball, as a low hole dropper, in addition to a stand up and hand in the dirt edge. Depending on his deployment, you could see big peaks/valleys in his production. 

based on those videos highlighting his get off and hand usage, looks like he’s someone who might blossom when deployed as a primary edge guy with his hand in the dirt. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RpMc said:

based on those videos highlighting his get off and hand usage, looks like he’s someone who might blossom when deployed as a primary edge guy with his hand in the dirt. 

Yeah, for all the talk about Hunter being raw and getting coached up, the biggest reason he produced more as a pass rusher in the NFL is that he actually got used as a pass rusher.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
16 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

This guy has found his place. He and Patrick Jones are filling in nicely when Hunter and Z come off the field.

He has found his place for sure! I really hope Kwesi carries on the Speilman tradition of drafting long athletic raw edge prospects in the mid rounds