Joe Staley to Retire

49erurtaza

I’m not one of those guys that likes to examine OL play. Favorite players to watch for me are LBs. But Staley is still one of my favorite niners ever. Really really hope they can keep him around the team in some capacity. Coach, consultant, ball boy, I don’t really care, but I want his personality in that locker room on a daily basis. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Forge said:

Being on the all decade team will certainly help his HOF candidacy, as will the proliferation of additional all pro teams (such as PFF). Hoping he gets in. 

Yeah, I actually think his longevity and getting props from sites like PFF and being on the all decade team eventually gets him in. If he won a ring or two, he's pretty much a lock to get in. 

Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

Yeah, I actually think his longevity and getting props from sites like PFF and being on the all decade team eventually gets him in. If he won a ring or two, he's pretty much a lock to get in. 

The only problem is, does anything separate him from Willie Anderson who is not in the hall ? 

34 minutes ago, Forge said:

Being on the all decade team will certainly help his HOF candidacy, as will the proliferation of additional all pro teams (such as PFF). Hoping he gets in. 

Just now, Forge said:

The only problem is, does anything separate him from Willie Anderson who is not in the hall ? 

I think bigger issue is all the studs in his own era. Forget Willie Anderson, just look at his competition from his own peers. Whitworth, Thomas, Peters, Williams, Brown, Smith etc. No chance he is a first ballot HOFer so his candidacy is going to overlap with some of the guys I mentioned who have cases for stronger resumes. 

32 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I think bigger issue is all the studs in his own era. Forget Willie Anderson, just look at his competition from his own peers. Whitworth, Thomas, Peters, Williams, Brown, Smith etc. No chance he is a first ballot HOFer so his candidacy is going to overlap with some of the guys I mentioned who have cases for stronger resumes. 

A bunch of HOF voters who lets be real know very little about OL, will be relying on stuff like this to make their decision as well as accolades like six time Pro Bowler etc. 

3 minutes ago, AustrianNiner said:

Absolutely the right decision! All about family and health at this point. Thank you for everything Joe! Enjoy retirement and spending time with your family, hope to see you around the building helping the youngsters out. 

• Like 3