Joe Staley to Retire

49erurtaza

3 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

Trying not to cry while I read that....

I teared up. An all-time 49er great, and a rare one to spend a decade with the team and never play for anyone else. What a career, and I am so happy for him that he's able to do this on his terms (with the exception of a more magical ending). 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Is Joe the greatest 49er of all time who spent his entire career here? Between him and Willis? 

Are we talking talent wise? Its Willis and then everybody else really. I'd go Bryant Young just slightly over Joe. I think because Young spent his last few years on some truly terrible teams, he may tend to get overlooked. But I always thought he was a great talent.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

Are we talking talent wise? Its Willis and then everybody else really. I'd go Bryant Young just slightly over Joe. I think because Young spent his last few years on some truly terrible teams, he may tend to get overlooked. But I always thought he was a great talent.

Young slipped my mind but is between those three. Willis talent wise is on another level no doubt. But Staley played five additional seasons and Young had a longer career as well. That makes this into a fair debate IMO. 

4 hours ago, Geek said:

I hope we win the super bowl this year and give him a ring. He deserves it the most out of anyone on this roster.

Not the same though. Wouldn't be official, just a nice gesture. 

If only Jimmy didn't overthrow that ball. Or Mahomes didn't pull a rabbit out of his hat for that long conversion. Or we ran the ball with Gore against the Ravens at the goal line. 

2 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

A bunch of HOF voters who lets be real know very little about OL, will be relying on stuff like this to make their decision as well as accolades like six time Pro Bowler etc. 

Which is good. I'm glad metric sites like PFF have come around in the last few years. I know the sports writers that vote for these things aren't breakdown down OL play on every snap in every game and comparing it to every other player.

3 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

Not the same though. Wouldn't be official, just a nice gesture. 

If only Jimmy didn't overthrow that ball. Or Mahomes didn't pull a rabbit out of his hat for that long conversion. Or we ran the ball with Gore against the Ravens at the goal line. 

Or if the refs had correctly called holding on the Chiefs....

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PapaShogun said:

Or Tarik Glenn. Guys like that. Don't think so. 

Glenn was okay, but I do think that Staley was a couple of notches above him. Anderson is tough though. He was a 3 time first team all pro and can't get in. Joe doesn't have a single first team all pro from AP (believe he has a couple from PFF). Joe does have more pro bowls, and being on the all decade team really does help in my opinion. Hoping that he gets in. 

Just now, Chrissooner49er said:

Or if the refs had correctly called holding on the Chiefs....

Eh. Sanders got away with an illegal hold on a snap I saw. 49ers fans probably aren't complaining about that one. Yeah it would have been nice to get another call the 49ers way, but that isn't why they lost the game. They just got outplayed in the 4th.

1 minute ago, Forge said:

Glenn was okay, but I do think that Staley was a couple of notches above him. Anderson is tough though. He was a 3 time first team all pro and can't get in. Joe doesn't have a single first team all pro from AP (believe he has a couple from PFF). Joe does have more pro bowls, and being on the all decade team really does help in my opinion. Hoping that he gets in. 

Probably because Anderson played in Cincinnati. That's the only reason I see why he's not in. I think Anthony Munoz is their only HOF player. 

Edited by PapaShogun

2 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Is Joe the greatest 49er of all time who spent his entire career here? Between him and Willis? 

Nah. Staley is below Willis and Dave Wilcox for me. Maybe on the same level as Randy Cross and Bryant Young who also have rings. 

Edited by PapaShogun
  • Like 1