Week 4: Lions (2-1) at VIKINGS (2-1)

swede700

On 9/26/2017 at 1:05 PM, vike daddy said:

Matthew Stafford was benched for a poor performance against the Arizona Cardinals back in October 2015. The Lions quarterback threw three interceptions in less than three quarters, forcing Jim Caldwell to turn to Dan Orlovsky. Stafford didn’t lose his starting spot, he was in for the first snap for all 16 games that year. But that was the catalyst for the coordinator change that would soon follow. Jim Bob Cooter took over the Lions offense and set about easing the pressure on his quarterback. Cooter implemented safer passing concepts that concentrated Stafford’s reads in specific areas of the field. He threw outside and short more than over the middle.

Screens became a major part of the offense’s identity. In 2016 Stafford led the league with 76 screens. Cooter didn’t turn Stafford into something he wasn’t or build this very specific offense that highlighted his strengths, he babied him. He tried to limit his impact on games by asking him to do less, it’s why 23.39 percent, the second-highest rate in the league, of Stafford’s throws didn’t cross the line of scrimmage last year.

Only 9.42 percent of Matthew Stafford’s passes travelled further than 20 yards past the line of scrimmage, 23 quarterbacks in the league were more aggressive. 28 quarterbacks threw a higher percentage of their passes further than 10 yards downfield.

http://presnapreads.com/2017/08/29/nfl-quarterback-tiers-evaluations-ahead-of-the-2017-season/

how about Everson and Hunter with blazing interceptions behind the line of scrimmage with run backs for td's? anyone up for that?

His ypa still isn't bad, so I think the word "babied" is wrong. If you're hitting 7.0ypa or better, you're in the clear.

Still, I think Sunday will be Hunters game. I think he will wreak havoc!

On 9/26/2017 at 1:37 PM, vike daddy said:

slinging? did you read the blurb above...?

Only 9.42 percent of Matthew Stafford’s passes travelled further than 20 yards past the line of scrimmage.

...23.39 percent, the second-highest rate in the league, of Stafford’s throws didn’t cross the line of scrimmage last year.

The lions haven't had a 100 yard rusher since 2013 I believe? Maybe even before then. The short passing game has really become the run game. They'll still run from time to time to try and keep defenses honest but for the most part their run game stinks. 

You can say he isn't slinging all you'd like but when push come to shove they put the ball in his hands and expect him to make the plays to make it happen.

55 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

Everson Griffen called Lions LT Greg Robinson "lazy" according to NFLN.

That's bulletin board material. I don't like it.

54 minutes ago, disaacs said:

I saw it earlier...not a huge fan of it either, but oh well.  

Robinson has had his fair share of penalties as well. Pressuring Stafford will go a long way in getting the W. I expect big things from Griffen and Hunter on Sunday. 

13 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

Robinson has had his fair share of penalties as well. Pressuring Stafford will go a long way in getting the W. I expect big things from Griffen and Hunter on Sunday. 

Well I will say he looks to be correct. I have not liked Robinson one bit since he's stepped in and hope for a very speedy recovery for Decker.

1 hour ago, SteelKing728 said:

Everson Griffen called Lions LT Greg Robinson "lazy" according to NFLN.

That's bulletin board material. I don't like it.

Bulletin board material directed toward bad players doesn’t worry me. In fact, I’d lean more to the side that Griffen gets inside Robinson’s head. Making these lazy comments has better chance of making Robinson more aggressive, which will likely lead to more mistakes. 

10 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Bulletin board material directed toward bad players doesn’t worry me. In fact, I’d lean more to the side that Griffen gets inside Robinson’s head. Making these lazy comments has better chance of making Robinson more aggressive, which will likely lead to more mistakes. 

exactly,  If he was calling someone like Tom Brady lazy, that would be a different story.   Brady would light our defense up all day for a comment like that. 

Minnesota Vikings had only two players – QB Sam Bradford (knee) and DE Stephen Weatherly (illness) – listed on their Wednesday injury report in advance of Sunday’s game against the Detroit Lions.

The Lions, however, had an extensive injury report. DE Ezekiel Ansah (knee) and G T.J. Lang (fibula), both of them starters, didn’t practice on Wednesday. Neither did reserve S Don Carey (knee) and backup RB Dwayne Washington(quadriceps). But the Lions also had seven more players limited in Wednesday’s practice, including starting safeties Glover Quinn (knee) and Tavon Wilson (shoulder), starting LB Jarrad Davis and starting C Travis Swanson (ankle).

http://scout.com/nfl/vikings/Article/4-Detroit-Lions-dont-practice-7-limited-in-advance-of-Minnesota--108087817

8 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

if he's so lazy that he doesn't care that others call him lazy, then nothing. :lol: (how do we get the old emoticons to post?)

Well, he might be too lazy to actually know that he was called out for being lazy.  :D

Honestly though, I still don't like it because even if he's a bad player, is he bad because of lack of talent or lack of effort?  Based upon where he was drafted...and Everson's comments, that sounds like effort to me....therefore, basically having been called out, if Robinson has any dignity, he'll put forth better effort and that could be dangerous.  

Archived