4.130 - MIN: James Lynch DT/Baylor

7 hours ago, Ozzy said:

e3r4lN.gif

Ben-Wyatt-Yelling-Booyah-Parks-and-Recre

i-love-it-yelling-girl.gif

chris+pratt+excited+2.gif

tenor.gif?itemid=8320169

3 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

@Ozzy happy we drafted one of your guys, I think this will be a great pick for us!!

Who said I liked him ;o)

But yes I was very excited we got him, honestly though I would have been happy with him in the 1st, 2nd, 3rd round as well.  Love the effort guys we got, provides some much needed passion and juice to the team I think.

This is another great pick, after they missed out on Gallimore, who they reportedly tried to trade up for. 

Lynch didn’t grade super well for PFF, and he isn’t a freak athlete. But he has quickness and decent technique, and he plays with intensity. He’s going to be hard on guards: 

I think Lynch has a clear path to the roster as a nickel pass rusher, replacing Holmes and Mata’afa. If he’s good enough against the run to play on early downs, they can release Jaleel Johnson too, and keep Lynch and Watts as the only DT backups.

• Like 5

Perhaps my favorite pick of the draft.  I think he will contribute right away, and my develop into a special player.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Virginia Viking said:

Perhaps my favorite pick of the draft.  I think he will contribute right away, and my develop into a special player.

This is where I'm at too....loving this pick!

• Like 1

James Lynch is going to be a player that 10 years from now, teams will look back and say, "Wow we overthought this."

He's going to be a vital cog in the re-tooling of the Vikings defense and will be a fan favorite. 

College Production? Check. Last 2 years: 81 tackles, 28.5 tackles for a loss and 19 sacks.

Athleticism? Check. 8.49 RAS score, higher than other iDL prospects like Blacklock, Gallimore, Elliott, and Davidson. He's 6'3 1/2 and 289lbs, I think they can get him up to 300lb and still be retain the athleticism for the interior. He has experience playing multiple fronts. I think he can be a 3-down 3tech for us, which is something we haven't really seen under Zimmer.

Intangibles? Check. Team captain, leader, and has the potential to look like an actual Viking if he grows his hair and beard out. 

Some plays:

Wins with power and leverage: 

Wins with hand usage and an inside move before the double team can get there to help

Interior closing speed

Again, quicker off the line against the LT, gains inside leverage and closes to qb quickly

• Like 1

^^ it’d be nice to have the Vikings be on the right side of a DL swatting away an OL’s hands and getting directly to the QB, for a change

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Ben Breakdowns - James Lynch

Edited by RpMc
  • Like 3

On 5/7/2020 at 11:57 AM, Klomp said:

Damn right!  Looks like John Randle went to high school 1 hour and 21 minutes away from where James Lynch went to high school in Texas.  Would be amazing if Johnny could mentor James, that would be freaking great!

3 hours ago, RpMc said:

Ben Breakdowns - James Lynch

Ohhh man. I like a lot of our picks but Lynch might be my favourite and watching Ben's breakdown got me so hyped up. Maybe it's because we haven't had a 3-tech worth getting excited over in a while (Richardson was so disappointing :() but I want Lynch to turn into a good player more than anyone else in our draft class. 

I was intrigued by the Hercules Mata'afa pick but he had obvious obstacles that he very likely wouldn't be able to overcome. Lynch has similar shortcomings like his weight/lack of length and the main strength of "slippery-ness" Mata'afa had, but Lynch has the power to hold up as a 3-tech. 

I also like that they drafted Kenny Willekes, who is similar to Lynch in a lot of ways. He's more of a project as he'd have to gain 20 pounds to stand a chance at DT but we're starting to see a trend of the Vikings taking chances on undersized, slippery, hyper-productive prospects and hoping they stick inside. 

• Like 1

I don’t think the intention is for Willekes to play inside?

15 hours ago, RpMc said:

I don’t think the intention is for Willekes to play inside?

Nah I can't see that. I think he's an end. Ironically, I've seen Willekes player comp as Anthony Zettel. 

One thing I will say is that I wonder if the plan is to use more 4-DE looks on passing downs. We've had some luck with that, and haven't exactly added a bunch at 3-tech. Pierce is the 1-technique.