Sign in to follow this  
RpMc

4.130 - MIN: James Lynch DT/Baylor

29 minutes ago, Klomp said:

One thing I will say is that I wonder if the plan is to use more 4-DE looks on passing downs. We've had some luck with that, and haven't exactly added a bunch at 3-tech. Pierce is the 1-technique.

Pierce comes off, Idenigbo kicks inside next to Watts/Johnson/Lynch/Mata’afa (whomever) and another DE enters the game is the most likely scenario in my mind given that what we have as additional defensive end is more suspect than interior DL. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, RpMc said:

I don’t think the intention is for Willekes to play inside?

that is speculation on my part, mainly because his physical profile is SO different to all the players we've targeted at EDGE. Hunter, Weatherly, Odenigbo, Aruna, Wonnum all have similar traits. As far as I can tell, Scott Crichton was the only EDGE we drafted since zimmer came on that didn't fit the "explosive, long, athletic" mold, and he fizzled out really quick. 

Willekes might be an example on going for production over traits but he compares physically/athletically much more to Mata'afa and Lynch than the other EDGE guys. 

also, fun fact: Willekes' arm length is 31.25", which would 40th percentile for CORNERBACKS. the only position it would be above average in is RB, where he's 58th percentile. i can just picture him being like this against tackles in the NFL:

oy7N94N.gif

11 hours ago, whitehops said:

As far as I can tell, Scott Crichton was the only EDGE we drafted since zimmer came on that didn't fit the "explosive, long, athletic" mold, and he fizzled out really quick. 

Crichton fizzled out due to injury though. 

9 minutes ago, battle2heaven said:

Crichton fizzled out due to injury though. 

I do not recall Crichton showing much promise before injury. He never made it into the starting lineup. It is possible that he would have eventually grew into a good player if not injured, but I suppose you could say that for anyone that got injured ever. He never did anything that gave me much hope in him becoming a decent starter.

• Like 1

On 5/12/2020 at 8:14 AM, Cearbhall said:

I do not recall Crichton showing much promise before injury. He never made it into the starting lineup. It is possible that he would have eventually grew into a good player if not injured, but I suppose you could say that for anyone that got injured ever. He never did anything that gave me much hope in him becoming a decent starter.

I feel like he's the only edge rusher that we drafted relatively high in the draft that did nothing under Patterson.

and he was part of a really good 2014 draft class for us too.

Just now, SteelKing728 said:

I feel like he's the only edge rusher that we drafted relatively high in the draft that did nothing under Patterson.

and he was part of a really good 2014 draft class for us too.

Yeah, they have been really good at identifying and developing DE talent. Let's hope it continues. They haven't been quite as successful on the interior of the defensive line, but they got more than their fair share out of Stephen drafted in the seventh round. Sharrif Floyd is a better example of  a talent that looked to be developing before being derailed by medicals. However, Jalyn Holmes and Jaleel Johnson are two more recent examples of picks that haven't developed in the middle as the team probably hoped. The team has identified decent DT value on the free agent market. Hopefully Pierce continues that trend. 

• Like 1

On 5/12/2020 at 7:14 AM, Cearbhall said:

Part of the issue I recall is that he got off to a late start because of the Pac-12 rules at the time in which he couldn't participate in any OTAs until after graduation, which put him behind the 8-ball.  He also had a lot of family issues, which caused him to come out early in the first place...he never was able to recover and quickly got buried on the depth chart, especially after the concussions.

3 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

Hope he continues to play well. We need all the help we can get at the DT position.

He should be active and rotating in from here on out, IMO.

• Like 1

On 10/13/2020 at 7:35 AM, SteelKing728 said:

Hope he continues to play well. We need all the help we can get at the DT position.

He was literally half a step ahead of everyone off the ball.

He's going to be a good one.

13 snaps (16.3%) yesterday. Too much, too little?

Odenigbo seemed to have a solid game from the interior.

Too little. We still trot Jaleel Johnson out there to do nothing. 

• Like 1

especially with how the season is going, i hope guys like lynch will start getting some more snaps going forward. you obviously don't want to put them in a position where they're in over their head but with an unremarkable player ahead of him on the depth chart why not give lynch some more real-game reps?