Top 5 draft pick

Johnny Nix

OLine is still the #1 culprit but Dalton is a close #2.  Even if we fix the OLine, we still need to replace Dalton IMO.  Every single week QBs make tough throws into tight windows.  Dalton is just incapable of doing that.  He can't throw on the run, he never buys extra time for his receivers, and unless his receivers are wide open he just throws it away.  He doesn't fit balls into tight windows for them unless it's a seam route in front of his face or a quick first read. 

We can keep making all the excuses in the world for Dalton but he's not a top 20 QB and barely a top 30 QB right now.

That all said, I did pick Dalton + Green in DFS this week.  But a nice showing against the hapless Browns, doesn't change the fact that we need a new QB...

3 hours ago, TheVillain112 said:

but he's not a top 20 QB and barely a top 30 QB right now

*Raises hand*

Hello

This is not in support of Dalton, but the state of QB'ing in this league is pretty bad right now.  Consider that 12 QB's right now have INT rates higher than 3%, 15 have YPA averages lower than 7.0, and 16 with QB ratings under 90 (which, in 2017, is not really good).  Dalton may very well be just inside top 20, but it's not because he's good or anything.  Here's a list of QB's starting in this league right now.

• DeShone Kizer
  • Joe Flacco
  • Brian Hoyer
  • Mike Glennon
  • Jay Cutler
  • Jacoby Brisset
  • Trevor Siemian
  • Eli Manning
  • Josh McCown
  • Blake Bortles
  • Case Keenum
  • Jared Goff (granted, has look ok so far against some really bad defenses)
  • Alex Smith

So, there's a whole list of QB's out there that can't make those tight window throws.  This isn't woe is the Bengals.  There are lots of teams that would trade their QB straight up for Dalton, issues so far in 2017 be damned.

18 minutes ago, theJ said:

*Raises hand*

Hello

This is not in support of Dalton, but the state of QB'ing in this league is pretty bad right now.  Consider that 12 QB's right now have INT rates higher than 3%, 15 have YPA averages lower than 7.0, and 16 with QB ratings under 90 (which, in 2017, is not really good).  Dalton may very well be just inside top 20, but it's not because he's good or anything.  Here's a list of QB's starting in this league right now.

• DeShone Kizer
  • Joe Flacco
  • Brian Hoyer
  • Mike Glennon
  • Jay Cutler
  • Jacoby Brisset
  • Trevor Siemian
  • Eli Manning
  • Josh McCown
  • Blake Bortles
  • Case Keenum
  • Jared Goff (granted, has look ok so far against some really bad defenses)
  • Alex Smith

So, there's a whole list of QB's out there that can't make those tight window throws.  This isn't woe is the Bengals.  There are lots of teams that would trade their QB straight up for Dalton, issues so far in 2017 be damned.

Siemian, Goff, and Alex Smith have looked light years better than Dalton this season.  It's early but they do.  The rest I agree are pretty bad as well.  Maybe top 30 was too harsh.  There are a lot of bad QBs out there today.xD

Also, #GiveMcCarronAChance

If you remove everyone with less than 30 attempts so far, Dalton's 69.6 passer rating ranks #31 in the NFL so far this season

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?d-447263-n=1&d-447263-o=2&d-447263-p=1&statisticCategory=PASSING&d-447263-s=PASSING_PASSER_RATING

If you go up to a minimum 64 attempts, then he goes all the way up to #30.  Bad Andy has been Really Bad Andy so far this season.

2 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

If you remove everyone with less than 30 attempts so far, Dalton's 69.6 passer rating ranks #31 in the NFL so far this season

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?d-447263-n=1&d-447263-o=2&d-447263-p=1&statisticCategory=PASSING&d-447263-s=PASSING_PASSER_RATING

If you go up to a minimum 64 attempts, then he goes all the way up to #30.  Bad Andy has been Really Bad Andy so far this season.

Oh that's certainly true, but i'm about to base QB rankings on 3 games of data.  I think we can agree that is too small a sample size, yes?

3 hours ago, TheVillain112 said:

Siemian, Goff, and Alex Smith have looked light years better than Dalton this season.  It's early but they do.  The rest I agree are pretty bad as well.  Maybe top 30 was too harsh.  There are a lot of bad QBs out there today.xD

They have, but it's a mix of opponents and their team's ability to plan around that QB's weaknesses.  Dalton looked like a top 5 QB in 2015, and was in the MVP running until very late in the season.  It's because the team did a good job playing around his strengths and avoiding his weaknesses.  

14 hours ago, theJ said:

Oh that's certainly true, but i'm about to base QB rankings on 3 games of data.  I think we can agree that is too small a sample size, yes?

For sure, but Dalton is also what he is at this point.  I don't see him ever playing better than that 2015 season, and that's if we can get everything else around him near perfect again.  And this oline is a long way away from that.

I'm sure knowledge wise of the system Dalton is light years ahead of anyone else we could bring in. Unfortunately there comes a point were ability and talent have to meet, and Dalton has underwhelmed in the ability department. I'm ready to see a new QB under center. Could we do worse than Dalton? Absolutely. But I'm tired of being stuck in QB purgatory. 

On 9/28/2017 at 7:15 AM, INbengalfan said:

I hope it was sarcastic, because Dalton has no culpability in most of them.

Yeah I was trying to ironically suggest that another franchise QB would be pulling strings behind the scenes to make the team (the offense) better. 

Archived